Thread: Phoenix FD

Forum Member

One simple piece of advise is MEMORIZE the study guide. When I took the test it was word for word from the study guide. Good luck to everyone taking it. Trust me its the best job and place to work in the world.
    Last edited by azwrestlr145; 04-27-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by krewmoney77 View Post
    Word is the academy starts October 3rd. This is the fastest its been because of the time constraints with the SAFER grant. June is 1st round oral boards and then July is 2nd round Chiefs oral boards. This is alot of studying! The packet and then along with the packet is the Professional Standards Guide.
    I have the 45 page 2011 study guide, but is the Professional Standards Guide part of this? If not does someone have the link or copy of it to email?

Thank you

Forum Member

Page 23---"The recruit examination is a 100-question, multiple-choice test with the majority of the questions taken from this pretest booklet and the Professional Standards Guide"

http://phoenix.gov/fire/index.html - You can print off from their website.

Forum Member

It's getting close boys and girls

Forum Member

I'm flying out tomorrow. I'm super excited and wishing the best of luck to everybody taking the test.

Forum Member

@krewmoney77 and everyone testing...I talked with some guys who took the last test, had interviews and what not...they told me not to worry too much about the professional standards guide. They said the same thing that azwrestlr145 said - it came word for word from the study guide...Could be different this time, but I doubt it. I know what it says on p. 23, but I'm gambling and going with the study guide (I just skimmed the professional standards guide).

Forum Member

Yeah I agree with you. I didn't do too much studying of the professional standards guide either. There was rumor and talk that it was a typo. That they were going to use it, but they didn't because of how fast the process is going because of the SAFER grant. I just skimmed it also though and really focused on the study guide itself. They pulled a lot of parts from the study guide from it, so it was kind of like reading the study guide again. Just more in depth and detailed.

Forum Member

Well, good luck to everyone tomorrow. I feel like I have the study guide on lock down. 180 Flashcards! Hope everyone does well!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quick question, do you need your nremt basic cert to go through reciprocity, or can you use your state cert?

MembersZone Subscriber

Never mind, I found what I was looking for. Due to a few circumstances, I have decided not to make the drive down there to take the test. I wish all those who are, the best of luck.

Forum Member

gotta love that reading comp. section

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by legos.8ty7 View Post
    gotta love that reading comp. section
    Yeah what a weird section. There was a lot of right answers I thought

Forum Member

Yeah I agree. I thought some of them were kind of poorly written. Everything else was straight forward, that's the one section though that I had a few where it was coming down to 50/50! I also think they could have made the 70 questions a little more difficult. I studied soooooo much and hard for that thing and was expecting it to be a little more difficult than it was. Not mad it was easy or that I over prepared, I just think they could have really weeded out more people with that area. Especially, section 3! I think a quarter of the 200+ note cards I wrote up for potential testing material came from that section. Oh well though! We'll see what the passing grade will be with the curved grading. Best of luck to every one!

Forum Member

Yeah, the reading comp section was definitely one of the harder ones I've taken. I went back and checked most of my answers there. You just had to throw out everything you already knew about the subject at hand and just focus on the information given in each particular question. That made it somewhat easier for me. I'm more of a math guy so I was bummed there were only 10 math questions.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by APhillipsLA View Post
    Yeah, the reading comp section was definitely one of the harder ones I've taken. I went back and checked most of my answers there. You just had to throw out everything you already knew about the subject at hand and just focus on the information given in each particular question. That made it somewhat easier for me. I'm more of a math guy so I was bummed there were only 10 math questions.
    Where you wearing a grey dress shirt and black slacks? And drove with a few other buddies that were taking the afternoon test?

Forum Member

Red face

Nope, I was a lone ranger on this trip. I took the afternoon test though. You might have seen me as I think I was the only one to get up and go to the bathroom when they were passing out test pamphlets.

If you didn't see me, you might have heard me since the room was quiet as a mouse and it was at that moment when my shoes decided to start squeaking! I blame the concrete floors though. Kinda funny and a little embarrassing since I looked up and saw at least 20 people staring at me...lol

MembersZone Subscriber

I had such a blast while I was in Phoenix. That is the first time that I really got to see the heart of downtown. Man, I tell you what; downtown Phoenix is awesome!!! It is beautiful!! I got to see a PFD ladder drive by and also saw Engine 2 driving code 3 a couple times (it sure is nice to hear that federal again)!!! PFD had a working apartment fire while we were testing in the morning. They were slaying the dragon as we were slaying the test! I met some really great folks while I was in line.

I agree with everyone so far about the exam. I am glad I knew that study packet!

Forum Member

Hello guys!

Has anybody heard anything yet? I know the HR person told us it will be up to 6 weeks... since I am not in Arizona I thought some of you local guys may have received any news from PFD.

Best of luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

Results are in... Passed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20 View Post
    Results are in... Passed
    Where did you find out, CFerd? Did you get something in the mail?

MembersZone Subscriber

Got notification in the mail

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by CFerd20 View Post
    Got notification in the mail
    Awesome, dude!! Did it give you a ranking/numerical grade or did the letter just say that you passed?

MembersZone Subscriber

Oh it gave me a ranking, which is perplexing me right now.. either there is a wicked curve or its not ranked out of 100, or just the sheer number of applicants made the grading come down to very slight particulars. I dunno, but I passed with a 66 lol

MembersZone Subscriber

I meant score not ranking btw, it doesn't say where u stand as far as ranking

Forum Member

just got mine, pretty happy with my score... for now.

Thread Information