Forum Member

Question FDNY Employment Question

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a while to go till I will be old enough to apply at some paid Fire Departments, but I have a question. I know that some of you guys, after reading the title, thought "Oh no, not another FDNY question" but I just want some help. I live in Tennessee and I have looked at a lot of career fire depts across the country. To my understanding, the FDNY, requires you to be a Resident of New York City or a Resident of boarding counties; when you apply. How strict are they about this? Can people apply from out of state and still have the same chances as a NYC Resident?

Thanks!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorer478 View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a while to go till I will be old enough to apply at some paid Fire Departments, but I have a question. I know that some of you guys, after reading the title, thought "Oh no, not another FDNY question" but I just want some help. I live in Tennessee and I have looked at a lot of career fire depts across the country. To my understanding, the FDNY, requires you to be a Resident of New York City or a Resident of boarding counties; when you apply. How strict are they about this? Can people apply from out of state and still have the same chances as a NYC Resident?

Thanks!
    No, because NYC residents receive 5 extra residency points.

Do yourself a favor. If you want to get on the job FDNY, go in the Military for 4 years. Work out each and every opportunity you get while you are in the military keeping yourself physically fit. Then when your enlistment is done, move into one of the 5 Boroughs. You can then use vets points on top of the residency points, plus your high grade from the written and physical exams combined will give you a better than good chance at getting on the job.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Do a little research first before asking questions.
    Regarding your question of being a resident to apply:

Do you have to live in New York City or New York State to file or take the examination?

Answer: No, it does not matter where you live when you file for or take the Firefighter Exam. However, when you are appointed you must live in either the five boroughs of New York City or in Westchester, Rockland, Orange, Nassau or Suffolk County.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/fdny/html/co...q_080106.shtml

Good luck!

Forum Member

from what I've heard you have no chance of getting hired on FDNY without residency

MembersZone Subscriber

Hard to apply that theory since we haven't hired in two years.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    from what I've heard you have no chance of getting hired on FDNY without residency
    Not true, you can score 100% and live outside the city. As long, as they hire, 100 will give you the opportunity to get to the next phase of hiring

MembersZone Subscriber

A. Take time to research offical web site and look at employment link. Most questions can be answered there.

B. Things can and will probably change as to how things are handled around here on exams and hiring...lord only knows how things will be. Will EMS be the only route...will the promotions (that became a liability in court hearings) be axed by the next commissioner? No one has the final answer on this...only guesses.

C. There are plenty of guys who didn't live in NYC who are on the job...myself included. As of today there is a slight point disadvantage but depending on how many take exam 20,000+ you do well enough...you have a shot near the end of a 4 year list under normal hiring. Considering you say you aren't near getting on...you probably will still be within the age to take exam in 5-8 years when there will be lots of guys with 20 years looking to get out. Right now there aren't that many guys around with at or over 20 looking to leave en mass. I think one must be 17 1/2 to take our exam but 21 to be appointed.

D. Look at the pay/benefit package and then go on zillow or trulia.com and see what you will be able to afford after being tripple taxed. Understand that NYC is unlike ANY place in this country (save a few close comparisions in SF..etc.) The life you will lead here as a fireman isn't at all similar to that of anything in Tenn or anywhere you are remotely familiar with.

E. Remember our pay/benefits/pensions are in flux right now. What you get probably won't be what I have. Keep that in mind as well. That goes for any department out there as in many places firemen are getting lumped in with all sorts of political issues.

F. You never know what will happen...when the job announces the next exam, file for the exam, and take the written. And then take it from there. It won't hurt you and you never know where things will lead.

FTM-PTB

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by explorer478 View Post
    Hey Guys and Gals,

Thanks!

Over here bucky.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119936 (? about FDNY)
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Take the next test given, so long as you are 17 1/2

Enlist in the armed forces right after high school.

Work your *** off physically and keep your head in various FF testing books.

Take as many Fire Fighter Examinations in different cities. Practice will only help you and if you didn't get FDNY it would be nice to have another option or you may find a better fit and go that way entirely. Also take multiple exams in NYC, it may line you up with a job when you get out of the military.

Move to NYC and continue to work and study your *** off. Maybe take classes to get on FDNY EMS while your waiting.

The key is...if you really want the job you have to start the process as early as you can. You can always turn them down if your plans change but you can't go back and take the test you blew off.

Thread Information