Thread: Curiosity

Forum Member

Default Curiosity

When I was 20, I was charged with possession of 1/2 a gram of marijuana. I was put through a diversion program since it was my first offense. I know that this looks really bad applying to become a firefighter, but will it prevent me from becoming one in the future?

Forum Member

Misdemeanor or felony???

How old are you now???

Forum Member

Each city is different

You have to look at the disqualifiers for each city

Forum Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Just Wondering View Post
    When I was 20, I was charged with possession of 1/2 a gram of marijuana. I was put through a diversion program since it was my first offense. I know that this looks really bad applying to become a firefighter, but will it prevent me from becoming one in the future?
    Dude thats nothing, there's guys on the job with felonys arrests. And if it was a first offense they probably dropped the conviction. Your arrest will still show up on a background check though. Just Make sure that you have all your proper court paperwork if they ask, like expoungments and/or first offense programs. Dont ever lie about it but dont mention it either if they dont ask.

You"ll be fine, and if they give you any ****t just get a good civil service lawyer and appeal.

Forum Member

It is a misdemeanor. I am 21 now but I am thinking about Air Force service after college before I persue any firefighting career

Forum Member

It is a misdemeanor. I am 21 now but I am thinking about Air Force service after college before I persue any firefighting career
    It all depends on the city I think. The offense is very minor yes, but there are a ton of other applicants with nothing on their record.

Forum Member

Good choice on joining the military. Most depts have a 5 yr window when it comes to drugs. Keep your record spotless while you serve and you should be good to go.

Forum Member

Same advice. Just check each cities policy

Not sure if air force will take you

Have you checked??

Forum Member

It's going to be difficult for me to join the Air Force, but not impossible. I would need a waiver in order to excuse this, but it's no guarantee.

If the Security Forces doesn't work out, I am going to persue the Army equivalent of that, the Military Police, which is a bit less selective.

If all else fails and I don't get into either, It will just speed up me persuing a firefighting career

I was thinking about joining a volunteer fire company in my area and I've already filled out applications. The one company that I am pushing for only asks if I have been convicted of a felony. Will this misdemeanor prevent me from becoming a volunteer since it wasn't that long ago?
    Last edited by Just Wondering; 03-31-2011 at 06:09 PM.

Forum Member

I don't think I included this yet but the diversion program expunged it from my record, but I'm sure that it will still show up in a background check

Forum Member

I wouldn't fill it out on an application, but if you make it to a background, tell your background investigator up front so its not a surprise when he finds it(and he will).

I have no idea how much 1/2 a gram is but it doesn't sound like a lot. I know that background investigators I've talked to have said you need 5 years from a DUI to even be considered, and even then its you versus someone with none. Just something to ponder.

Forum Member

We require report any arrest/ conviction no matter if it has been cleared by court

You might check on mp job , air force I hear just guards gates, not real police work, and sometimes might need secret clearance, which drug action might mess up

Thread Information