Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Where would you put your trucks?

I am simply looking for where you would park your apparatus, port-a-tank, etc.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions or would like an emailed copy of the photo so that you can mark on it and send it back to me.

fire_gal2002@yahoo.com
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Jesika; 04-01-2011 at 08:20 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." -Benjamin franklin

"There is nothing wrong with America that can not be cured with what is right with America" -Henry Clay

I personally would lay a ldh line up the driveway from the road way. Have the second due engine setup to draft and pump up to the attack engine.

Leave the trucks out at the street and have them walk in.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Leave the trucks out at the street and have them walk in.
    I like the trucks in front of the building or on a corner where the aerial can get maximum use......Hopefully the hose-heads remembered to pull past.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I like the trucks in front of the building or on a corner where the aerial can get maximum use......Hopefully the hose-heads remembered to pull past.
    Me too, but zoom the pic and get back to me with your thoughts.
    IAFF

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Me too, but zoom the pic and get back to me with your thoughts.
    I can't make out crap in that pic.

Quote Originally Posted by len1582 View Post
    I can't make out crap in that pic.
    It's tough, but remember, we're talking about trucks here.
    IAFF

I probably would not even have a truck on scene. Engine 1 would be up the driveway, (stumps on both sides of the driveway) and Engine 2 would be on the driveway at the road with portaponds. LDH up the driveway.

If a truck did show up, park on the side of the road and walk in.

We would have a truck there. So put the truck on the A/D corner, E1 behind it, E2 at the street with the porta tank, relaying to E1 with LDH.

Take away the truck, and everything else stays the same.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Trucks, ladders, towers, quints etc. Are not very practical in a rural enviroment especially depending on hydrant availabilty and tankers that are available. Ive been with a rural volly dept on the side for many years and have yet to use a "truck" on residential dwelling. It's tough to change tactics from a city enviroment to oh wait I dont have a hydrant within 4 miles of here. I'm not saying trucks, towers etc. don't have their place and use on the fire ground. I dont think we've ever lost a house just because we didnt have a truck there.
    Last edited by B_TURNER1554; 04-01-2011 at 08:14 AM.

I am more concerned about the parking of apparatus with the powerlines that run across the driveway. I know it isn't safe and not to park beneath them.

We had a training call here, our first out Engine chose to park in the driveway before the powerlines. Afterwards, he was told he should have pulled right up to the house and dropped a Port-a-tank behind him. This would leave either him, the porta-a-tank, or the tenders under the powerline. I fully support his decision to stop before the lines and advance hose from there.

I just want to know what some other people would do in parking their apparatus at this scene. Our apparatus at this scene included: 1 Engine, 1 Tender/Pumper, 1 Tender, and 1 Rescue. We had various other apparatus from surrounding departments but none of them played a role in this.

I do apologize that this picture is so small, but if you would like a copy of it emailed to you please feel free to email me at fire_gal2002@yahoo.com
    Last edited by Jesika; 04-01-2011 at 09:42 AM.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." -Benjamin franklin

"There is nothing wrong with America that can not be cured with what is right with America" -Henry Clay

Forum Member

So in other words --- you are looking for ammo to hammer on some one with ? Wasnt there , not going to sit in a comfortable chair and comment on a decision some one made in a split second.
    ?

Forum Member

Re - reading your post - maybe you want ammo to support a decision --- same thing applies - wasnt there - too many variables that a picture cant convey.
    ?

NO AMMO. This will not go any farther than between the guy driving the engine and myself.

Keep the tankers out of the driveway. Lay hose in (LDH or a double lay) and drop your water on the road (into port-a-ponds, of course).

Unless the power lines are somehow involved in the fire (I can't pick them out in the picture), they don't really make a difference. If they are primaries and will be a problem, call the power company - they can shut the entire circuit down remotely and deal with the fallout from there. We just did that not long ago.

If there's the danger of them dropping on the apparatus, holding short is the best idea.

Armchair quarterbacks are just that.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Th powerlines are the black lines that run across the driveway and up to the house. They are primary lines. We called the power company and it was over two hours for them to get there.

Talking

In the scenario given time of 23:30

Long before anyone got there : both single wide trailers and the rubber matting and tires on the roofs will be long gone.
    Will only be a need for putting out brush fires in the fields surrounding the trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by B_TURNER1554 View Post
    Trucks, ladders, towers, quints etc. Are not very practical in a rural enviroment especially depending on hydrant availabilty and tankers that are available. Ive been with a rural volly dept on the side for many years and have yet to use a "truck" on residential dwelling. It's tough to change tactics from a city enviroment to oh wait I dont have a hydrant within 4 miles of here. I'm not saying trucks, towers etc. don't have their place and use on the fire ground. I dont think we've ever lost a house just because we didnt have a truck there.
    OH REALLY? Over HALF of our district is UN hydranted and we have NO issues running a Platform off a water shuttle. Sure makes opening up faster.So I'm guessing maybe you're in a minority here as MANY communities use them successfully around here. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Here we have no use for arials or quints. We can move as much water as anyone around and there is little chance we are going to keep up. Use our pumpers, one at the house the other at the roadway, double line pull to the engine at the house. Two 3,000 gallon tankers to shuttle, yell for help if we need to.

Quote Originally Posted by bwspeer View Post
    Here we have no use for arials or quints. We can move as much water as anyone around and there is little chance we are going to keep up. Use our pumpers, one at the house the other at the roadway, double line pull to the engine at the house. Two 3,000 gallon tankers to shuttle, yell for help if we need to.
    Maybe so. I'm in a surburban/rural setting and we use a 100' platform Quint VERY effectively. And with our M/A shuttle system we can supply it or any of the pumpers reasonably effectively. We use the Platform as a labor saver,when opening roofs etc a 4 man job becomes ONE man job. OUR quint will go 95% of the places an Engine can fit. T.C.

Thread Information