Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Military 6x6 GVW

We have an old military 6x6 and are replacing it with a newer one. I have a question on GVW, the old one lists cross country and highway GVW. The new one has loaded and air. Is air the same as highway? The numbers are close to the same.

MembersZone Subscriber

Correct. In the mid 80s (with the M923 A1 (vs the M923) DOD dropped the dual GVWR on data plate. Tech Manual (TM) still discusses on road vs off road appropriate loading. Still 2 to 1 but to be governed by conditions (weather, tactical need, etyc). So if not a critical/emergency and not unless approriatly good road conditions do not exceed 10000lb (or more) on a M923A1 or newer). Unless it's really really needed. So not for CONUS/peacetime/training opertions. Contengency as much as can fit in and seems smart.

I would have to look at M35A3 data plate to see if the same logic was applied with the duece and a half were rebuilt in 1998-99. I'd bet only one ratiing on them.

MembersZone Subscriber

The new one is a M35A3C then WO/W.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sam really did a pretty good job on rebuild spec on the M35A3. Reasonable load an duece is really about one pod (600gal). Thats 6000lb and plenty big enough a load. They really are pretty much a heavy duty utiity pickup.

MembersZone Subscriber

From TM 9-2320-386-10 pg1-13

https://www.logsa.army.mil/etmpdf/fi...000/074962.pdf

1-16. TABULATED DATA
    This paragraph lists vehicle weights, specifications, and performance data for
    easy reference by the operator.

Table 1-3. Vehicle Weights.
    VEHICLE CURB PAYLOAD TOWED GVW

M35A3:
    W/W 14,600 lb 5,000 lb 6,000 lb 19,580 lb
    WO/W 13,900 lb 5,000 lb 6,000 lb 18,900 lb

M35A3C:
    W/W 14,740 lb 5,000 lb 6,000 lb 19,700 lb
    WO/W 14,040 lb 5,000 lb 6,000 lb 19,020 lb

M36A3:
    W/W 15,980 lb 5,000 lb 6,000 lb 20,960 lb
    WO/W 15,280 lb 5,000 lb 6,000 lb 20,280 lb

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple more questions, why is the GVW w/w with winch higher than w/o and what is the Air weights for on the data plate?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by sklump View Post
    A couple more questions, why is the GVW w/w with winch higher than w/o and what is the Air weights for on the data plate?
    Because a with winch weighs more than a without winch. In either case rated for same 5000lb load (add to empty weight) = GVW.

I'm looking a some M35A3 at Ft McCoy on Friday for a project and will check out the data plates. Does Air on the plate perhaps refer to the Central Tire Inflation System (CTIS)?

I suggest you get over to www.steelsoldiers.com

Lots of helpful guys over there that can.will help you, Great site.

Forum Member

If your FD needs the Technical Manuals (TM's) for a former Army vehicle that your FD has, try this:

The city I work in, recently was loaned an Humvee through the USDA FEPP Program. I contacted the nearest Army guard unit and asked if they could provide us with the TM's for this Humvee.

They provided the entire set of TM's, along with the lube order at no cost. I told them about the Humvee we recieved, why we needed the TM's and that we were a governmental entity (fire district).

If a member of your FD is a member (or former member) of the local Army Guard or Reserve unit, they may be able to obtain the TM's for you.

I am the only member of this FD, that ever worked with the Humvee (in the Army) and I wanted the TM's available for the FD members to use in retrofiting the Humvee for wildland firefighting use.

Humvee = no road, no problem!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by sklump View Post
    Is that maybe the weight to be used for calculating aircraft loading for when they are being shipped by air?

Talking

From what I remember from my NAVY Seabee time,
    All vehicles have a separate plate which gives all info pertaining to airlift capabilities. Weights ,center of gravity, lifting points, tie down points and volume and cube dimensions. We were an airmoblle detachment and had to practice loading evolutions with the Air Farce regularly for C130 & C141 aircraft. We even had downsized dozers, loaders , graders , cranes & other heavy equipment specifically designed for air operations.
    Very interesting watching them slide drop a dozer from the back of a herc while rolling down a runway with a chute used to pull it out the tail of the aircraft.
    Bent a few pieces up while practicing that maneuver in the California desert.

Thread Information