Forum Member

Thumbs up Question for career firefighters regarding Radios

Good morning all,
    I have a quick question to ask Career (paid) firefighters. So, here it goes: Do you carry your portable radio with you when off duty? The deparment i volunteer for are on call all the time & we take our HT1250's with us along with one spare battery so we can keep up with dispatch. We also have minitor 2's (i know they are old but, they work great!) Now, that is with our volunteer department... Does your career deparment do the same? i have had many times where i spotted a wreck on the road, brush fires, heck i even spotted a lowering cloud base and called it in through our dispatcher. So having a radio seems like a good thing as long as it isn't abused. Thanks

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Well.............

As a Retired Career Firefighter, who still Volunteers in the same County, I can tell you how our system works.

We are in the process of migrating from a multi channel non trunked system on the 494-495Mhz range to a new 700Mhz Trunked digital system. On the old system, quite a few members had their own HT 1000 portables. With the new system, there will not be any Privately owned portables. Each piece of Apparatus will have a pre determined number of portables assigned to riding positions, and those will stay on that apparatus. Except for a few folks, Chiefs, Bomb Squad, etc. there won't be any members with portables available......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by doctorcoddman View Post
    Good morning all,
    I have a quick question to ask Career (paid) firefighters. So, here it goes: Do you carry your portable radio with you when off duty? The deparment i volunteer for are on call all the time & we take our HT1250's with us along with one spare battery so we can keep up with dispatch. We also have minitor 2's (i know they are old but, they work great!) Now, that is with our volunteer department... Does your career deparment do the same? i have had many times where i spotted a wreck on the road, brush fires, heck i even spotted a lowering cloud base and called it in through our dispatcher. So having a radio seems like a good thing as long as it isn't abused. Thanks
    What exactly is that department? And what happened to your other radio, the XTS I think I remember? Anyways, almost everyone has a cell phone now a days, and you carry that anyways, so your justification about calling in something is pretty lame. The justification about keeping up with dispatch, well if you REALLY feel the need, put your Minitor on monitor.

But why does a junior firefighter such as yourself really need to be so available anyways? At 16 you should be more worried about taking care of business with Mary Jane Rottencrotch then impersonating a firefighter.

Most of us find the blaring radios in public to be nothing more than annoying.

Forum Member

Good morning all,
    No, I do not. As an officer in my Department, I do have my own portable assigned. It stays at Fire Headquarters. I can use my cell phone to contact any public safety agency I may need to contact, and if I get recalled, it comes either of two ways... text message via cell phone or via alphanumeric pager.

Posted by Harve
    What exactly is that department? And what happened to your other radio, the XTS I think I remember? Anyways, almost everyone has a cell phone now a days, and you carry that anyways, so your justification about calling in something is pretty lame. The justification about keeping up with dispatch, well if you REALLY feel the need, put your Minitor on monitor.

But why does a junior firefighter such as yourself really need to be so available anyways? At 16 you should be more worried about taking care of business with Mary Jane Rottencrotch then impersonating a firefighter.

Most of us find the blaring radios in public to be nothing more than annoying.
    Bingo!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Thanks hwoods, I have heard rumor that we may soon migrate to 800Mhz (but i really don't know) I think going that high UHF is not a good idea. Hilly Terrain + 800Mhz = Spotty Coverage... But, LAFD has a awesome coverage system so i may be wrong.

LVFD301, Actually if you read a little closer that was a radio i was bought for MYSELF & NOT department issue... and i can't stand whackers anymore than you can. or nerds who pertend to talk into scanners lol btw do you get text pages, LVFD301? (legit question)

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks hwoods, I have heard rumor that we may soon migrate to 800Mhz (but i really don't know) I think going that high UHF is not a good idea. Hilly Terrain + 800Mhz = Spotty Coverage... But, LAFD has a awesome coverage system so i may be wrong.

LVFD301, Actually if you read a little closer that was a radio i was bought for MYSELF & NOT department issue... and i can't stand whackers anymore than you can. or nerds who pertend to talk into scanners lol btw do you get text pages, LVFD301? (legit question)
    Sure I get text pages.

Now, I answered your question, answer mine about why a junior firefighter needs a radio on all the time, and what department?

Forum Member

LVFD301, Please check your email (i just sent you a message)

Forum Member

DeputyChiefGonzo,
    Thanks for your reply also. Everyone in our area has recently started using Nextel PTT to supplement our analog communcations systems and it seems to work REALLY well! PD, EMA, and Dispatch all have contact groups together so it cuts down on the need to have relays... i.e. if i need s/o i can push a button and talk to him, otherwise my dispatch would have to relay to his dipatcher, to him...

MembersZone Subscriber

I got the email, still chuckling a bit before I answer.

Anyways, to the thread, using Nextel is a bit of a scary proposition right now, as sprint has announced last year their intentions to shut down the Nextel system entirely.

Forum Member

I was unaware of that, I hope they don't! I am beginning to think that the speculation of the state installing a 800Mhz system is true: Think about it, We have yet to go Narrowband compliant (it's getting closer and closer to the deadline) and now you say that Sprint is eliminating PTT.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MVFD601 View Post
    I was unaware of that, I hope they don't! I am beginning to think that the speculation of the state installing a 800Mhz system is true: Think about it, We have yet to go Narrowband compliant (it's getting closer and closer to the deadline) and now you say that Sprint is eliminating PTT.
    That is NOT what I said. What I said was Sprint was eliminating the Nextel system. They will still offer a PTT solution of some sort on their Sprint system.

If your state does not already have a system going in, they are not going to get it done by narrowbanding. I mean construction started.

If you are in Alabama, there will not be a statewide 800 mhz system.

Forum Member

OK, Thanks...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    That is NOT what I said. What I said was Sprint was eliminating the Nextel system. They will still offer a PTT solution of some sort on their Sprint system.

If your state does not already have a system going in, they are not going to get it done by narrowbanding. I mean construction started.

If you are in Alabama, there will not be a statewide 800 mhz system.
    Well, I hope the Nitwits find a way to share some towers as their COVERAGE HERE leaves quite a lot to be DESIRED. Verizon PTT works OK most places. T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

Good morning all,
    Isn't abused? You used the radio to call in a "lowering cloud base"? Seriously? Do you work for NOAA?

THAT alone is why every member should NOT carry HT's all of the time.

Regarding your question: No. Radios stay at work.
    Last edited by ffbam24; 04-05-2011 at 01:19 PM.

Forum Member

Yeah matter of fact i did ffbam24, it's called early WARNING... Come to my state and listen to the dispatch frequency for a couple of days. You think that is "abuse" bet you can't count how many "open" mics over dispatch we have! (i'm not proud of it, i hate it) Grown men who have nothing better to do than key the repeater and playing dukes of hazard horn on Tac-3 Z1... Ever had those problems?

MembersZone Subscriber

Yeah matter of fact i did ffbam24, it's called early WARNING... Come to my state and listen to the dispatch frequency for a couple of days. You think that is "abuse" bet you can't count how many "open" mics over dispatch we have! (i'm not proud of it, i hate it) Grown men who have nothing better to do than key the repeater and playing dukes of hazard horn on Tac-3 Z1... Ever had those problems?
    If it is such a problem, then again, a reason not to have the radios carried all the time.

Forum Member

LVFD301,
    You hold a valid point, Sir

Forum Member

radio stays at home. If more Fireman are needed in case of catastrophe, then they're called on phone or a recall is given on t.v. which has only happened twice in 10 years.

Forum Member

and i can't stand whackers anymore than you can.
    If you can't stand whackers, how do you get along with yourself?
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Thanks HeightsFF,
    We have (a time or two) Done back-fill when the city fire department was tied up on a apartment complex fire. That's about the most severe fire incident where we were mutual aide. another one of those once in a blue moon situations (of course i haven't been on long though)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    If you can't stand whackers, how do you get along with yourself?
    FWDbuff,
    How does that answer the question that i asked?? Funny your quick to judge a person whom you've known of for 5 minutes...

Forum Member

Good morning all,
    FWDbuff,
    How does that answer the question that i asked?? Funny your quick to judge a person whom you've known of for 5 minutes...
    It only took about 35 seconds.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Wow, a record! Good job FWDbuff! Quickest to judge. haha

And you still didn't answer my question...
    Last edited by MVFD601; 04-05-2011 at 03:03 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

FWDbuff,
    Cody, what you don't understand, is most of the guys on here can sniff out a BS line at 100 yards through heavy smoke. And you keep handing out BS lines.

You sent me an email admitting much of what you said in the past was BS. Then you claimed you were on a department that does not seem to exist in the great state of Alabama. (nor in the Greater state of TN! GO VOLS!)

You quoted a frequency previously that does not come back to that department name, the initials of which you now use for your screen name. (Previous posts all change to that name when you change like that BTW)

So it is pretty easy to figure you out quickly.

Forum Member

Damn you can type fast LVFD301, lol
    Why in the heck are you so obsessed with finding out what department, state, etc i am in? i don't get it...

P.S. GO Vols!... and are you off work today?

Thread Information