Thread: Leather Helmets

Forum Member

Default Leather Helmets

I'm looking to get a new leather helmet, but it has to be NFPA compliant, what exactly are the standards for making a leather helmet NFPA compliant?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by B_Harriger221 View Post
    I'm looking to get a new leather helmet, but it has to be NFPA compliant, what exactly are the standards for making a leather helmet NFPA compliant?
    Realistically? You don't need to know them. The manufacturer will certify them as NFPA compliant if they are.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Forum Member

Then what is the difference between the Cairns N5a and N6a? They both look the same except one is NFPA and the other isn't.

Forum Member

Then what is the difference between the Cairns N5a and N6a? They both look the same except one is NFPA and the other isn't.
    Impact caps and eye protection.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

EASY way,Look for the NFPA certification sticker. T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Impact caps and eye protection.
    Actually it's just the impact cap. That is the single reason it cannot get NFPA approval.

An N5A has a single layer impact cap. An N6A has a dual layer impact cap.

The single layer impact cap meets OSHA. The dual layer cap meets NFPA.

BUT......

The other important issue is eye protection. In order for a helmet meet NFPA standards, it MUST be shipped from the factory with an NFPA approved eye protection system. Makes no difference if you are going to use it with goggles or a shield or your local dealer has a set he will add to the helmet. The helmet MUST come complete.

While an N6A "helmet" meets the NFPA regs, if you do not order it with goggles or a fold down shield, you will not have an NFPA approved helmet system. Adding those item'slater will fulfill the requirements of what the NFPA requires, but you will still no have the cert sticker. Beware of people selling used or even new helmets on Ebay saying they are approved. Ask to see the tag.

Helmets bought with no eye protecton at all or Bourkes only will not meet NFPA standards.

MembersZone Subscriber

I got an American Heritage by Paul Conway. Love it best helmet I have had. It is NFPA compliant. Most brands will be. If there is not a sticker on it you can google the name of a helmet and they will tell you on there site. Stick to buying from the manufacturer or well known places such as firestoe.com.

Forum Member

If you're going to buy one, get Goggles versus a stupid faceshield. A faceshield gets the "NFPA sticker" due to its' heat resistance during testing, but has nothing to do with the amount of eye protection it provides the wearer.

Go with the "quick install" style of goggles and have it come with Bourkes too if you want a touch of tradition.

Forum Member

SEARCH FUNCTION PEOPLE!!! USE IT lol
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member

There is a panel of seven chosen ones. They sit behind a crescent shaped oak table bordered with polished brass. Each manufacturer is led into the chamber, blindfolded and naked carrying with them a guilded box. Inside the box is money, cold hard cash or gold coins. After the box is delivered, and the free ink pens and calendars have been handed out, will they receive their NFPA compliance certificate.
    The manufacturer is then blindfolded again and led out of the room.

Please keep this secret safe.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Personally I think the goggles and the shield are worthless. Mine has the ESS goggles, they don't fit right. I keep safety glasses in my pocket and wear them when doing jobs requiring eye protection. Those goggles are ill fitting, and no matter how "anti-fog" they say they are, it's BS. That's my experience with them anyway.

Forum Member

I have never used leather helmets before but our mutual aid department have and still use cairns helmets (N5A Brand) and they seem to like them.

But, the department i run with (when time permits) decided to buy composite helmets...

They bought the new UST series (i believe) Bullard helmets and haven't had a problem yet... nice fit, traditional look, and sturdy feel. The guys at the firehouse love them. but time will tell whether or not they offer a good level of protection! The chief himself took a hickory axe handle to one of them before he allowed them to be put into service so personally i feel safe with them.

Thread Information