MembersZone Subscriber

Default Fire Department websites

We're looking to create a fire department website. Our main goal is to allow people to get CPR class information and fill out burn permits online. I was curious to see any other fire department website and what program was used to create it? As in every department, budget cuts make this something that needs to look good but not cost a lot. If anybody has any information regarding building websites, programs, information, etc. please let me know. post or pm.
    also, feel free to post your departments website. I have no idea yet how i want to lay this baby out.

Forum Member

What type/size of department are you? If you fall under a larger city/county government, they probably already have a site established and could easily add a fire department page. Make it easier on you but also more user friendly for Joe Schmo citizen who found themselves on the governing body's main page looking for fire department info.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What type/size of department are you? If you fall under a larger city/county government, they probably already have a site established and could easily add a fire department page. Make it easier on you but also more user friendly for Joe Schmo citizen who found themselves on the governing body's main page looking for fire department info.

We're a small combination department. We have a city website that links to the fire department page, but it just lists a contact phone number. nothing more. We've been told by the city that if we wanted anything more, it'd come out of our budget.

Forum Member

I thought that there was a thread or section that is about web sites.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

find your nearest college, jr college, tech school

local computer people

that will do some pro bono work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Unless the city is willing to give you access to some server space, that's going to be your biggest, and ongoing expense. Make sure that your space is yours, not one of the free servers that may include advertising you may not want on your site.

Writing HTML isn't terribly difficult - I taught myself, but I also have some experience in other computer programming languages. I'll be the first to tell you that I don't write terribly sophisticated code - but it works.

As fire49 said, there's probably local talent willing to take it on, and possibly for free. Just make sure you have access to your source code, especially if the talent is a college geek who's going to disappear in a year or three.

Be careful who you give access to the server to.

While you're looking, start figuring out what you want on the page(s), and how you want it to look/work. Setting it up so someone can submit an application on-line is far different than simply providing them the form to fill out and submit as a hard copy.

Do some rough sketches - a "story board" if you will.

Do you want to maintain a "family" look with the city website, or strike out on your own? Make sure you can get/use any backgrounds the city is using if you go that route.

Spend some time looking around the web. There are thousands of fire department websites ranging from the simple to, well, pretty sophisticated.

If/when you see something you like, there's no harm in borrowing a concept - just don't use content without clearing it with the site owner.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

Use a CMS, such as Joomla.

badenfirerescue.com

Thread Information