Thread: Pre-planning

Forum Member

Default Pre-planning

When developing your pre-plans, what are things all of you look for? We're currently re-drawing our commercial structures on 2-d modeling via AutoCad. I also work for a consulting firm, and we are going to begin developing pre-planning modeling as a contractor.

Just want to see if there's any unique ideas out there, or different strategies for doing so.

Forum Member

I've always been slightly against total pre-planning due to it going right out the window 80% of the time as every call is different. And everything can change in less then a minute.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BennyT373 View Post
    When developing your pre-plans, what are things all of you look for? We're currently re-drawing our commercial structures on 2-d modeling via AutoCad. I also work for a consulting firm, and we are going to begin developing pre-planning modeling as a contractor.

Just want to see if there's any unique ideas out there, or different strategies for doing so.
    Here we don't get too fancy; basic floorplan, location of utilities, special hazards, etc. It doesn't need to be a set of site plans, but it also shouldn't look like a 2nd grader drew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.Dc4 View Post
    I've always been slightly against total pre-planning due to it going right out the window 80% of the time as every call is different. And everything can change in less then a minute.
    Care to elaborate on how having and up to date preplan with contact info is not useful in either of those situations? And hopefully you aren't part of the school of thought who believes nothing can be learned from actually going and walking through the buildings in your response area...
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Care to elaborate on how having and up to date preplan with contact info is not useful in either of those situations? And hopefully you aren't part of the school of thought who believes nothing can be learned from actually going and walking through the buildings in your response area...
    Absolutely not, I don't mean to stir anything up, what I mean is I've seen other local company's talk about certain buildings in their district, speaking about where to throw their ladders, where they should enter, and how they should do certain things, which could all be effected easily by the fire. Now what your speaking of I do believe is certainly knowledgable information to withhold. Its all about how deep you get into preplanning, and I agree 100% with your post.

Forum Member

The intent of our pre-plans is not to develop operational schemes, but provide a structure to establish operations. Our first due consists of a division II college, 5 schools, several nursing homes and more.

The basics we currently have are 2-d floor plans per story, utilities (gas, electric, water, etc) special hazards (haz-mat, etc), hydrant locations, ingress/egress, and dimensions.

Just looking to see if anyone has anything that we may possibly over look

Forum Member

One thing you may consider is some minimum flow rates of water for some fire scenarios. This is more important for areas that are of a much higher fuel (BTU) load than you might expect based on dimesions but does not take much effort to put down. Its just one more bit of information the IC or first arriving officers can use.

Another thing we add is whether you have to do any 'non-standard' hose lays. 99% of our fires are handled with a 1 3/4" 200' preconnects. We do have a few structures where we would have to stretch longer attack lines to reach all areas. Its better to think this through before the fire than at the fire when you first crew runs out of hose before getting to the fire.

Forum Member

Magnetic locking doors

Security doors

Fire suppression systems besides sprinklers

Generators

With nursing homes are they going to get them out or move to another wing

Make it usable on almost any computer

Forum Member

My preplan checklist:

Basic floor plan, room numbers, stairwell locations, standpipe locations
    FDC
    Hydrants
    Elevators
    Utilities
    Doors/windows that are barred or not forceable.
    Do not enter areas.
    Updated contact info
    Updated knox box key set
    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Forum Member

All great info guys...

The magnetic doors is a definite plus and I don't believe is one we have on our current plans...excellent.

JT, what do you consider a "do not enter area"?

Thread Information