Forum Member

Question Cummins vg turbo

Haven't seen much out there on the function of these things. So....who if anyone has had any issues with these new VG Trubos? Reason I ask is a neighboring town has one on a 350 and it hasn't worked since they got it. Had it back to Cummins and it was noticed that some components were missing!! Yes, missing. Evidently it was supposedly corrected but the truck still has no hold back.
    We are slated to receive one of these very soon on our new Engine. It'll be on a ISL 400.
    Hence my question. Any info is appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by MaximI View Post
    Haven't seen much out there on the function of these things. So....who if anyone has had any issues with these new VG Trubos? Reason I ask is a neighboring town has one on a 350 and it hasn't worked since they got it. Had it back to Cummins and it was noticed that some components were missing!! Yes, missing. Evidently it was supposedly corrected but the truck still has no hold back.
    We are slated to receive one of these very soon on our new Engine. It'll be on a ISL 400.
    Hence my question. Any info is appreciated.
    My opinion isn't probably terribly valid, as we don't have it yet, but I've driven one...

We just bought a quint demo with a Spartan under it, the motor is a 425 ISL with the VG turbo for the exhaust brake. I drove it quite a bit before we sent it back to the builder for some changes to be made. Our year old pumper, also on a Spartan, with only a 360 horse ISC has a Jacobs exhaust brake. Now the pumper is heavy, a rescue pumper with 1,000 gallons of water and far too much stuff on it (but we're under the GVW, we've weighed it), and the quint was empty - so the weights couldn't have been that far off, but the exhaust brake in the pumper is far more effective than the one in the quint.

Obviously, you get what you get when you buy a demo, but the secondary braking is by far my biggest disappointment with the thing thus far, well, at least that we can't change.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Forum Member

Cummins VGT does not work as well as Jacobs auxiliary braking system.

C6

Thread Information