Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Non-EMS FD?

Forum Member

Default Non-EMS FD?

A nearby Fire Department is attempting to modernize by providing EMT-FR services and limited extrication services. This department is receiving stiff opposition from some members of its community, but generally seems to be supported in these actions. They protect a city of around 2,000 people, plus contract with a surrounding fire district probably consisting of 1k-2k people. EMS transport service is provided by a county department.

I'm looking for comparables, does anybody here know of departments that do not provide any sort of EMS service to a community of similar size? What about extrication? Nearby departments, both smaller and larger, all have these capabilities. If you have any information on any departments that are strictly fire suppression that protect a similarly-sized district in the state of Illinois, I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide. Thank you!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FFMedic31 View Post
    A nearby Fire Department is attempting to modernize by providing EMT-FR services and limited extrication services. This department is receiving stiff opposition from some members of its community, but generally seems to be supported in these actions. They protect a city of around 2,000 people, plus contract with a surrounding fire district probably consisting of 1k-2k people. EMS transport service is provided by a county department.

I'm looking for comparables, does anybody here know of departments that do not provide any sort of EMS service to a community of similar size? What about extrication? Nearby departments, both smaller and larger, all have these capabilities. If you have any information on any departments that are strictly fire suppression that protect a similarly-sized district in the state of Illinois, I would greatly appreciate any information you could provide. Thank you!
    There is a primarily career department, covering maybe 4-5K, just to our east that does not run EMS.

They run 500 calls per year from 2 stations with 5 career staff per shift, and currently have no interest in running EMS, including first response. All EMS is handled by 2 private services who alternate days as the EMS response agency.

They do provide extrication for most of the parish however.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Our sister department in our fire district runs no EMS, although they do have some members who are EMTs. The ambulance service for our area is in the same village, and has 24/7 staffing, so the FD would pretty consistently arrive after the ambulance.

The same FD does run extrication, including for our portion of the district.

The population our sister department serves is very similar to your example.

Pretty much the whole vollie side of the county runs EMS (including one or two ALS FR) depending on their distance from the serving ambulance. Close, no, further out, yes. Extrication is hit and miss, although I could have at least three sets of MA jaws at my front door in less than ten minutes.

Both career staffed fire departments run BLS FR and extrication. Both serve populations in excess of 20,000.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

There is a Department in Fayette County, St Elmo FPD that is not running EMS yet. Some of the firefighters are wanting to begin I beleive.

My Department St Peter FPD, covers about 65 square miles with approx. 1200 population. We began running First Responders about 2 years ago. EMS is now half of our call volume. We do not have extrication tools exception a sawsall. Most smaller departments around here are now running First Responder with great results.

There are smaller districts out there especially in central and souther Illinois that do not run EMS. I know of a few that can barely staff a fire department.

Not sure what kind of info you are looking for. hit me up at stpeterfire@gmail.com mabey I can help more.
    SPFD 1800
    MABAS DIV 54

Thread Information