Forum Member

Default Written testing tomorrow!

Taking the written for Allentown Fire Dept in PA tomorrow! Just working to make this dream of mine being a firefighter become a reality. Have Paul Lepore's book smoke your firefighter's written exam. Been studying and preparing. Anyone have any advice or tips for me regarding the written, or any part of the testing process? Thank you all. Take care.

Forum Member

Take each step on step at a time. With that said the following advice only pertains to the written (not specific to Allentown's though. I've never tested with them).

Be prepared, rested, and calm the day of the test.

Know exactly where you are going for the day of the test and be prepared (driving directions, cash for parking?, bring ID and other paperwork/certs that they asked for, pencils, etc.).

Plan to arrive early so you aren't needlessly stressed about making it there on time. You can always just hang out in your car, study some more or listen to music to relax.

If a test is scheduled to run for a while eat a good snack before to keep your stomach from distracting you during the test. Bring a water bottle along if you want and it's allowed.

Use the restroom before the start of the test. That's the last thing that you want to be thinking about during a written.

Be polite and friendly with each proctor that you come in contact with (check in, passing out tests, handing in tests, etc.) and address them by sir or ma'am.

Read, listen, and follow all instructions.

Read each question carefully.

Keep an even pace- You should try to maintain a pace that will allow you to devote enough time to each question so that you can finish the entire test. Do not spend too much time on any one question. If you find yourself re-reading or having difficulty with a given question, skip it and come back to it later.

Stay calm and don’t give up- If you think that you are not answering the questions very well, or you are not sure how to answer the questions, keep going. Some questions may seem easier or more difficult than others. Skip questions that are too difficult and come back to them after you finish the rest of the test.

If none of the answers seems right, pick the one that is more right than the others.

This one is just me, but I like to hit the harder areas of the written first and finish with the easy stuff (if the test is divided up and you can skip around). For instance, I don't care for the reading comprehension so I do that first if I can just to get it out of the way. The rest is downhill then.

These are just some that have helped me in the past. I'm sure others will chime in. Stay positive and good luck!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

How did it go?
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

did paul lepores book help? I'm in massachusetts and just wondering if this book would help out with my testing.

Forum Member

Written test is best tool to measures the capabilities of the persons.
    Because some times in interview a person can be confuse he or she can't show his/her knowledge.

Thread Information