IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

lmao... ya'll are hilarious!

Forum Member

Im more into function than flash. I was given a SOG Multi tool that was engraved.
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Gift

I know there are allot of ideas thrown out there but when I graduated the academy my parents and my brother got me two different Streamlight flashlights. To me this has been one of the most useful and life saving tools a Firefighter can ever own. When I went though my second academy for the FDNY that was one of the big points the instructors made to always have a good light.

Here is what I got and love. I will never buy any other light than Streamlight ever again because of there customer service. I have givin my lights a good beating on the fire ground and any problems they have fixed or replaced the parts no question asked.

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca..._survivor_led/

and

http://www.thefirestore.com/store/ca...can_led_xenon/

That is my vote!
    "Far better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with the poor timid spirits, who know neither victory nor defeat." FDR

Forum Member

This is just a fire academy? Save your money for when he finishes drill school after he gets hired.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    This is just a fire academy? Save your money for when he finishes drill school after he gets hired.
    Semantics. I'd just about bet that what you call drill school, the OP's department calls academy...
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

I say get a him a Phenix Tl-2 leather helmet

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
    So my husband will be graduating from Academy in a few short months. I'm starting to think of how to celebrate. Looks like they are going to rent out the Union Hall for a huge joint class party, so I don't have to worry about anything like that. But I want to get him a really nice fire-related gift.

Any suggestion? I thought of a St Florian medal, but I don't know if he'd wear it.
    FWIW my wife bought me a St. Florian pendant and chain about 16 years ago after being in the fire service a few years. I'm still wearing it today. You don't have to spend much money to get one, so you could still get that as well as one of the other things mentioned.
    FTM-PTB-RFB
    IACOJ

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default FireACademy grad gift ideas!

Hey all! I posted here before, a few months back, and asked this question and got some great responses. But I tried to find the old thread, and now it's gone. (Now found, and merged with this one.)

So my husband graduates next Friday from the CDF Fire Academy. He gets his unit day and station assignment next week. I need to find him a great graduation gift!

His best friend is getting him a St Florian medal. I was going to get him a watch, but have since decided against it. He badly wants a leather helmet, but those are out of my price range. He mentioned something about getting a knife to wear on his scba belt. Any good knife suggestions? Is wearing a knife in full gear practical? Any other suggestions?

And before it's brought up, steak dinner and BJ night is already planned.
    Last edited by IrishWife; 08-02-2011 at 09:50 AM.

Forum Member

Haha, I remember your original post, if only for the last part that you mentioned.

If you look in your profile you can find old posts that you made. Here's your old thread:
    Here (Graduation Gift?)

Sorry, don't have many ideas other than those that were mentioned before.

Take care. And congrats to him.
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ahhh, now I see my old posts! Thanks yjbrody!

Forum Member

And before it's brought up, steak dinner and BJ night is already planned.
    You're married? You need to have a conversation with my wife.......No....Wait.....that could be bad....She'll turn you to the dark side......."Luke, I have a headache."
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Gerber is a good brand and not too pricey. Also Ka Bar and SOG are very good knives. You can never go wrong with a good multi tool either.

Congrats to the hubby on the graduation
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You're married? You need to have a conversation with my wife.......No....Wait.....that could be bad....She'll turn you to the dark side......."Luke, I have a headache."
    I could understand her saying that!
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fwdbuff View Post
    you're married? You need to have a conversation with my wife.......no....wait.....that could be bad....she'll turn you to the dark side......."luke, i have a headache."
    rotflmao!!!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

Gerber Hinderer Rescue knife is what I carry and I think it has everything he will need, and nothing he doesn't.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Whatever you are, be a good one. - Abraham Lincoln

Forum Member

i dont know what his department issues him, but maybe a gift card to something like the fire store, or just give him the money to buy some tools to stuff his pockets with, that stuff can add up all at once.

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Back when you were a Noob....

Husband graduates tomorrow, yay! He has his unit day assignment (Unit 1, starts right away on Monday), and will hopefully have his station assignment today or tomorrow.

He has been forwarned by his instructors that as a "New Boy," there will be certain expectations.... like keeping the station freezer stocked with ice cream until he's told to stop bringing it in. And I quote "And not the cheap sh*t either." I laughed and laughed! So I'll be stocking up on good ice cream when I see it on sale (thank goodness for chest freezers in the garage!), and he'll be taking a few gallons in with him first thing on Monday. (It's a shame they want ice cream, and not something like cookies, breads and pies, because I'm a killer baker.) However, he plans on stopping by his house tomorrow after graduation and finding out if there's anything else he should bring.

Also, word has gotten out that hubby was an academically trained chef, so it looks like he'll be cooking a bit.

So.... what were all of you expected to do when you first started? Any funny stories?
    Last edited by IrishWife; 07-28-2011 at 02:35 PM.

Forum Member

I collect royalties on the phrase "WAX ON - WAX OFF" from 1972, long before the movie.

Advise him we have an opening for a guy with that kind of tool box. Not so much for a firefighter but just the housecleaning and cooking duties. My crews cannot cook worth a crap and I am tired of their complaining.

I can cut the pay and hire a chef and no one would say a word...

I wish your 'noob' much success... sound like you are squarley in his corner and that makes his job alot easier. Bravo for you.

PK
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

show up early

do whatever was told to do

Forum Member

Husband graduates tomorrow, yay! He has his unit day assignment (Unit 1, starts right away on Monday), and will hopefully have his station assignment today or tomorrow.

He has been forwarned by his instructors that as a "New Boy," there will be certain expectations.... like keeping the station freezer stocked with ice cream until he's told to stop bringing it in. And I quote "And not the cheap sh*t either."
    Personally, I feel that this is a little out of line. Certainly when we were all probys, we were expected to bring someting in on our first day- ice cream, pastries, bagels, whatever...and not cheap stuff......the first day...But to be told to "keep the freezer stocked until told not to?" I would have a problem with that.

And yes, he should make an attempt to visit his Company on the same shift that he will be working (before his start date) to meet with his company officer and to find out if there are any expectations for him. This should be done in uniform.

And if you are a killer baker, no one said you COULD NOT send in goodies with him.

As for what to do the first day:
    -Eyes/Ears open, mouth shut unless to ask an intellegent question
    -Last to sit down to dinner, first in the sink for the dishes.
    -Never sit around watching TV your first year unless it's a holiday or specifically invited by the crew or officer. There is always something dirty in a fire station or on the trucks. Clean something at all times. When you are not cleaning something, study something such as maps of your local, your SOP's, memorandums, company orders, training manuals, etc. When you are not studying something, clean something. When you are not cleaning something, study something. You get the idea.
    -Arrive one hour early which is on time. Arriving on time is late.
    -Never ever ever let the coffee maker go empty between the hours of 5am to 10 or 11:00am. (he will learn the nuances of when everyone wants coffee as he gets some time on.....)
    -Always be the first to volunteer for special duty, details, temporary transfers, etc.
    -Turn your cell phone OFF the first few weeks. And Wifey never ever calls the station unless the house is on fire or aliens are landing in the backyard for the first few months.

That Steak and BJ better have been delivered by now by the way.
    Last edited by FWDbuff; 07-28-2011 at 03:51 PM.

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

We'll see what they say about the ice cream. I wonder if it wasn't just one of the Lt's messing with them all (his entire class was told this). Thankfully tomorrow is a Unit 1 day, so he can get out to his station (which he now knows... and he's excited, it's a very exciting area to be in the Columbus area 9 months out of the year) and meet some of the men/women before reporting on Monday.

I plan on winning them over with my pies and pumpkins rolls. They're gonna get it whether they like it or not! I'll play it safe and make sure he has ice cream and donuts for the first day though.

He's already started studying his modules (?). He has a continuing education class in October already, so he'll be studying.

He has quite a few buddies already working for CDF who've essentially told him the same thing, FWDbuff. They said between the time they show up in the morning until just after dinner, they are expected to be "at work" when they are not on a run. Evenings and night time are free time though.

What's the thought of working out while at the house? He mentioned running on the treadmill in the evenings at the station house. I wonder if maybe he shouldn't right away though. He doesn't drink coffee, so that will be a difficult one for him to keep up on, just because it's not a thought in his mind.

I already have the department emergency "family" phone number. Nope, I won't be talking to him at all while he's on, and I'm fine with that.

Steak and BJ night is this Saturday night, when the in-laws can take the kids, we can go to grad parties and out to dinner. I'm in my 4th month of pregnancy with #3... done with the morning sickness, but not to the point where I am giant and ready to pop... ya'll with kids know what that means!

Forum Member

What's the thought of working out while at the house? He mentioned running on the treadmill in the evenings at the station house. I wonder if maybe he shouldn't right away though.
    Many departments mandate a workout period during the 8 hour "work" day of a 24 hour shift. If they do not, he can address a proper workout time with the boss. I am certain they would not frown on him working out.

When he goes to meet the boss tomorrow, he should be knocking with his elbows, because his hands should be full of cakes, pies and ice cream. First impressions last.

Forum Member

Default Newbie

When you are first arrive to a crew, you are considered an outsider. The people already in the station are a group and it may be awhile before they warm up to you and "accept" you.

The people already in the "group" have spent alot of time together training, working and other experiences together. They are already bonded together.

Since you are a newbie and an outsider, you need to work yourself into the group. It will take time to do so. Be quiet and do as you are told. As you train and work together, you will bond with the others. Some groups are more accepting than others.

The old dogs in the group have been through alot and you need to learn from them. Try to have them mentor you. Their experience is priceless.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire117 View Post
    when you are first arrive to a crew, you are considered an outsider. The people already in the station are a group and it may be awhile before they warm up to you and "accept" you.

The people already in the "group" have spent alot of time together training, working and other experiences together. They are already bonded together.

Since you are a newbie and an outsider, you need to work yourself into the group. It will take time to do so. Be quiet and do as you are told. As you train and work together, you will bond with the others. Some groups are more accepting than others.

The old dogs in the group have been through alot and you need to learn from them. Try to have them mentor you. Their experience is priceless.
    ^^^^^ this
    Bring enough hose.

Thread Information