Forum Member

Good ice cream never goes on sale. Go to BR's and order a cut gallon. Peanut butter and chocolate if you please. Should be a few tours before that runs out, unless the house is full of sweat hogs. I wouldn't worry about keeping any freezers full. I would worry about being the last one to the table, and the first one to the sink. Fight for those dishes, even if he breaks one, that's one that a senior man won't be washing.
    Best of luck to him.
    IAFF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by IrishLake View Post
    Steak and BJ night is this Saturday night, when the in-laws can take the kids, we can go to grad parties and out to dinner. I'm in my 4th month of pregnancy with #3... done with the morning sickness, but not to the point where I am giant and ready to pop... ya'll with kids know what that means!
    If he doesn't fit in, she definitely will.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Quote Originally Posted by snowball View Post
    Good ice cream never goes on sale. Go to BR's and order a cut gallon. Peanut butter and chocolate if you please. Should be a few tours before that runs out, unless the house is full of sweat hogs. I wouldn't worry about keeping any freezers full. I would worry about being the last one to the table, and the first one to the sink. Fight for those dishes, even if he breaks one, that's one that a senior man won't be washing.
    Best of luck to him.
    BR? We don't have those around here. Trust me, the good ice cream goes on sale, and if you hunt down coupons, even better.

Thanks for the advice guys!

Forum Member

Bringing ice cream, cakes, cookies and other goodies are OK, but can be over done. Usually several weeks after a new member joins a company, the goodies should wane. Not saying that on special occasions, i.e., birthday, anniversary on the job, first run, first working job, etc, should be a time for ice cream and cake. remember it is the First Time, not forever. If you don't stop bringing the members will fatten up over the rookies generous tokens.

Hubby or any new member should go to the fire house, and meet the members. They should strive to go on the day that the shift is working in which they will be assigned. Sit down with the Officer and listen, listen, to what h or she has to say. Then usually the new member will meet the other members of the company. Some will be receptive and other will not be distance but will hold their judgment and welcome, until the new member has been there a while and fit in.

Remember the new member is a stranger. They are coming into a company that works well without the new guy. He has to merge into this operation. There is a lot on his plate for a year to learn and absorbed.

On his duty days, he should arrive at the time which the Officer says to report. Usually the relief members who is going off, would like to get away as soon as they can, maybe they have to work on an off duty job. I always relieved no later than 6:30 AM so my relief go get to his off duty job.

With that being said, the new member should arrive ready to go to work an hour before the shift start. Put your gear at the apparatus where you are going to ride. Come into the kitchen area and get a cup of coffee, if you don't drink the "Mothers Milk Beverage", learn to.
    Ask where can I sit. Don't engage into the ongoing conversations unless asked a question. Keep your ears, eyes open and your mouth close unless someone ask you a question.

As others have said do the dishes and other not so good work, since you are the rookie, don't think you will be given special privileges .

He will need to continue his study and pass the final probation, usually a year after graduation for the recruit school. This has to been accomplished as he can be terminated for any reason during the probation period and if he should fail his final probation exam.
    Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 08-01-2011 at 11:03 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks for the advice everyone! Thankfully for him, he's a neat freak and a car fanatic, so cleaning up and washing/waxing trucks are right up his alley. He knows not to leave his personal effects laying around, lest they be effed with.

His graduation was yesterday, and it was awesome. Simply amazing. The Columbus Police and Fire Pipe and Drum corps was there, they brought tears to my eyes. I have never been more proud. This was something we never thought would happen for him. He was 29 when he took the civil service test, he's 34 now. I wrote the whole thing off 2 years ago, and was plesently surprised when they started calling him about the next steps in the screening/application process. He was miserable in his previous jobs. He's found something that is his calling, and so far, he's loved it all (the good, the bad and the ugly). I also did not expect there to be so many people there. There were so many Class A uni's, I couldn't ID them all. Where my kids and I sat though, I had a Charlotte NC FF in front of me, a Detroit FF behind me, and tons of military service members (including hub's best friend who is Coast Guard). Afterwards, we made our way to hubs new station. He'll be there for 24 weeks. He was told not to stay long unless invited to do so. No more than 15 minutes. I kept my butt in the car until the ladder truck came back in from a run and the guy at the tiller waved at me to come in to the building. It was pouring rain, and hub was already on his way back to the car though. We then went to his class grad party at the union hall, and the comraderie that I witnessed was unexplainable. 51 started in his class, 45 graduated (1 was called to active military duty, 3 had injuries that put them into later new recruit classes, 1 straight up quit, and 1 straight up failed out).

We are looking forward to this journey!

Oh, and hub got a St Florians medal from his best friend, and I gave him a Gerber knife.

Forum Member

Way to go for him, you, and the family!!!!

Enjoy a little less hectic life, and alot more time together

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You're married? You need to have a conversation with my wife.......No....Wait.....that could be bad....She'll turn you to the dark side......."Luke, I have a headache."
    You don't have a toothache do you honey?!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

This sounds like I might know who this person is, but no fresh baked goods today. Congrats and let your "new boy" husband take an nap tomorrow. He might need it. It's going to take some time for him to adjust to working 24's. Is he ***. to Batt. 3. Did he get to the Lake today?

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Be patient with the baked goods, he told me to wait until he was done bringing ice cream. Fall will be here soon, and I enjoy making pumpkin rolls and cookies.... if you're at the same house, you'll get some.

Well I was going to send you a PM, but I can't.
    Last edited by IrishWife; 08-02-2011 at 07:52 AM.

Forum Member

Be patient with the baked goods, he told me to wait until he was done bringing ice cream. Fall will be here soon, and I enjoy making pumpkin rolls and cookies.... if you're at the same house, you'll get some.

Well I was going to send you a PM, but I can't.
    I'll take some pumpkin cheese cake please. For all the free advice. Since I wont get steak and a BJ.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'll take some pumpkin cheese cake please. For all the free advice. Since I wont get steak and a BJ.
    I don't make cheesecake for one reason - it's my favorite, and I'd eat it all myself before it ever got into the hands of the intended recipient. you're sol on that one, buff!

Forum Member

you're sol on that one, buff!
    You guys must still be newlyweds.....

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Pffft, not even close, buff!

Forum Member

Pffft, not even close, buff!
    maybe you should talk to my wife....hmmmmmmm

MembersZone Subscriber

maybe you should talk to my wife....hmmmmmmm
    Uh yeah, my wife too please!!
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ya'll PM me your wives email addresses. I'll take care of this.

However... keep in mind that in order to GET you must GIVE too... reciprocation can work miracles!

Forum Member

Just post pictures!!!!!!

Of his first day at work

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

I was gonna say... I think we'll have to go to another web forum if you need pictures on how to reciprocate! jk!

He didn't take any the first day of work, but I'll post a link to photobucket if anyone is interested of some of their training exercises during academy. Hub says the hardest one that freaked him out was crawling blindfolded with gear on through a box full of wires.

I also posted video in the Ohio forum.

Forum Member

I agree with the sentimental and let him keep some of the fire stuff outside of the man cave and in the general living quarters like a plaque on the wall or something

IrishWife
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thought I'd let ya'll know.... he's doing great so far He hasn't popped his fire cherry yet though. He doesn't have to bring ice cream anymore, either. That didn't last long, thankfully!

Thread Information