Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default Current Employer and Background

Here's my question. I have a background, psych, and medical left. I don't want to put that it is ok to contact my current employer for my background because I don't have a final job offer.

Is this OK and will it raise red flags? What are people's thoughts on this? Of course I will put an explanation about why it is not ok to contact them.

For the record, I currently have a career type job and am not a lifeguard at the local pool for the summer. I don't think my current employer would take kindly to getting a call from a BI especially when I haven't told them that I am leaving yet.

Captain Bob, if we can refrain from the spam about 40% of the people fail the psych and this that and the other canned responses that would be super.

Yours Truly,

Adam

Forum Member

If I were in your shoes I would reach out to the BI directly and explain your situation. Diffuse it before it becomes a red flag.

Are there any co-workers who can vouch for you?

99% of the time contacting current employer is the very last thing done before offering you a job.

Forum Member

HR is sending my packet and expect to receive it tomorrow or Monday. I don't think I will have the option to reach out to the investigator. I do have people that I can put but I don't want to put my direct supervisor.

It does make sense that they would contact my direct supervisor last. I just would like to be able to give her a heads up but don't really want to say anything until I give my notice.

Forum Member

I would call the background investigator and explain your concerns. He or she will completely understand (and hopefully respect your wishes).
    Good luck with the process!
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Some applications have a box to check if you want your job contacted

If there is not one would place a note to please contact at late in the process as possible

We do it early into the process prior to oral and job offers

Default Backgrounds

I'm sure Chief Lepore would correct me if I'm wrong but when we did backgrounds for the department we worked for together we did backgrounds on those who were picked to be hired and this was the last stage in the process. If you didn't pass your background then you were out....if you passed it you were in.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    I'm sure Chief Lepore would correct me if I'm wrong but when we did backgrounds for the department we worked for together we did backgrounds on those who were picked to be hired and this was the last stage in the process. If you didn't pass your background then you were out....if you passed it you were in.
    This is how the process was explained to me.

Forum Member

They've already told me when academy starts and I just don't want to leave anything to chance. And while I would love to tell my current employer I am leaving and give them plenty of notice, I think it would be prudent to wait until I have a final job offer.

Forum Member

So do you think that you told them that you are interested in the future, in a fire career

That they would fire you???

Forum Member

No but it would be awkward and they may start trying to find someone to replace me. I have a very intense office type job. Super unfun. I send a lot of important emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Smith View Post
    They've already told me when academy starts and I just don't want to leave anything to chance. And while I would love to tell my current employer I am leaving and give them plenty of notice, I think it would be prudent to wait until I have a final job offer.
    You don't have to give them notice until you know 100% that you got it. If your worried about your boss bad mouthing you don't. All your, employer is allowed to say is you work their and if your eligible for rehire.

Forum Member

Actually your employer has the right to say anything about you in a background examination. You will sign a bunch of forms that absolve any employer from saying something bad about you. Translated, you waive your rights once you sign all of the forms. If you rfuse to sign the forms, we will move on to the next person on the list.

There seems to be a thought that YOU have a right as a prospective employee. This is not the case. We will check every which place to see that you are the right person for our organization. If you refuse to sign the documentation that allows us unconditional access, which includes your facebook and every other social network password, we will move on to the next candidate. Let me be very clear; IN NO WAY ARE YOU IN CONTROL!!!!!!

Jay, you are aboslutely correct. The last thing we do is contact your employer if this is your wish. We do not want to make it difficult on you until we are certain that we want to hire you.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulLepore View Post
    We will check every which place to see that you are the right person for our organization. If you refuse to sign the documentation that allows us unconditional access, which includes your facebook and every other social network password, we will move on to the next candidate. Let me be very clear; IN NO WAY ARE YOU IN CONTROL!!!!!!
    Please clarify for me. Are you saying that I would need to give my username/password to allow the investigator "unconditional access" to social networking sites. Which now would include access to my email?

Forum Member

I find it hard to believe that a recruit has to give a prospective employer your passwords lol. Talk about invasion of privacy. There would be lawsuits left and right if that were true. I think the Chief was being sarcastic or exaggerating.

Forum Member

No, the Chief was not exaggerating or being sarcastic. And, if you believe it's an invasion of privacy you are free to withdraw your appication.

Let me tell you this from two different perspectives. First, I spent 23 years on a major big city west coast fire department, the last 6 as a Battalion CHief. I was very involed with the hiring process. I reviewed countless backpackets that were completed by our PD and by an outside agency that we contracted with.

Two years ago I tested for a Division Chief position on a neighboring department. I got the job. I then went through a very in-depth background investigation that began with a 28 page questionairre. I can assure you that no stone was left unturned.

This includes having the background investigator knock on the door of 12 of my neighbors. In my old department I managed 7 station, a total of 55 firefighters. I was one of three on duty BC's. The background investigator went to the other end of town and stood in front of the station. When a firefighter came out to see what he needed, the investigator introduced himself and interviewed the firefighter about me.

The investigator then went to three other stations and did the same thing. He then went to fire headquarters and interviewed the Fire Chief, the Assistant Chief and the Deputy Chief. He also interviewed the secratary and asked how I was liked among the office staff. Lastly, he spoke to my crew.
    They reviewed all of my tax information and financials.

So, as I said before if you are not willing to allow access that's your right. We will simply move on to the next person on the list.
    Last edited by paulLepore; 04-10-2011 at 05:25 PM.
    Paul Lepore
    Division Chief
    Aspiringfirefighters.com
    AspiringFireOfficers.com

Forum Member

It might just be that I work for an awesome company and they are very cool. It's a HUGE telecommunications company.
    My situation is a little different. 5-6 years ago I applied to the FD. 4 years ago, I got my current job. I didn't tell them anything about the FD because from the time of application, there's a better chance of never getting a call back than there is of making it. Long story. Sorry.
    Anyway, As soon as I got my PHQ, I immediately went to my supervisor and told him everything - and how many steps I still had left. He was and still is, my biggest cheerleader so to speak. Although, he is trying his best to talk me out of leaving, he knows that this is my dream. I signed every waiver, all the paperwork and gave the BI my bosses home, cell and work number.
    They called him and still, although I signed my life away, my company's policy is to not give out any information except that I work there, when I worked there and if I am in good standing. That's it. My supervisor had to direct my BI to HR. Whether he bothered with that, I don't know. My BI didn't really care, he said he gets that all the time.
    The point is, if you can't be honest with your current supervisor about your dreams and ambitions, there are a couple of things to consider.
    1. Your boss isn't worth it. Is your current job THAT good that you would risk your dream because you don't want to feel uncomfortable? I LOVE my current job, but it's not what I want to do for the rest of my life.
    2. If you can't be honest with your own boss, will that sit in the back of the mind of the BI or the FD? I don't know. I'm not making a judgment call, I have no clue, I'm just saying...it's something to consider.
    3. You are soooooo close man, don't chance anything at this point. If you are a valued employee where you work, your boss ought to be thankful that you were up front with him and will have plenty of time to try to talk you out of it or will appreciate your efforts at getting the shop ready for your eventual departure if it comes to that.

Just my .02

Forum Member

Hey Bro, thanks for the advice. I am super close. HR said I had a spot in academy and don't want to leave anything to chance. When I get the packet I will have a better idea but will probably just put down my supervisor and let em know to expect a call.

I am a valued employee (at least would like to think so) but was just thinking about a bird in the hand and two in the bush scenario. I'd hate to wind up fire jobless because of the psych or some other fluke and also have my secret out at my current job.

THX

Forum Member

Believe me, I know what is going on inside your head. Those thoughts run thru mine every day. I just keep letting my boss know that the battle is still uphill, even though I am done with everything. The verdict is still out on my psych eval. It's been 3 or maybe 4 weeks tomorrow. My boss and director are more optimistic than I am and just expect me to give my notice any time. I wish I had their faith, but I've heard lots of stories how that testing went all wrong..so it's just a waiting game now.
    So, I just keep them informed as often as they ask me about it. They've been cool with it, and I expect your boss will be too, as long as you keep reminding them that it ain't a done deal until you get a letter with an offer and a date in hand.

good luck

Thread Information