Forum Member

Default Question about the govt. shutdown and base firefighters.

So, I'm an active duty Marine at MCAS Cherry Point and I was wondering. I have to go to work regardless whether the govt. shuts down or not and not get paid until later on. Is it the same with all of you base firefighters? I figure you guys are just as much essential personnel as we are. I mean, you can't go without fire protection on the base. Or would they strike a deal with the local municipalities and put you guys on a furlough. Thanks guys, just curious.

Forum Member

All DoD Civilian Fire and Police and all other essential personnel must report for duty as required.

Now, back in Nov 95 and Dec 96/Jan96 during that shutdown, I had JUST started as a proby Federal FF (GS-04 TEMP). A bunch of the old guys (every one of them vietnam vets) at the station where I worked told the bosses "there is no Federal Regulation mandating that we show up when the rest of the government shuts down." And true to their word, they didn't show up. And they never got in trouble, either. And I got boatloads of overtime being forced. (I could not refuse as I was a "temp" and they could fire me at the snap of a finger.)

I now believe this "loophole" has been addressed and again, all "mission essential" personnel must report. And outsourcing to other jurisdictions would not happen due to labor agreements, not to mention security concerns as well as training requirements (tell Bubba from the Pigs Knuckle VFD to go pin and safety the canopy and ejection seat on an F-18, disconnect the batteries, etc. no offense to Bubba or the Pigs Knuckle VFD.)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

This is no different then when it snows hard and the base is closed except for essential jobs.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg89 View Post
    This is no different then when it snows hard and the base is closed except for essential jobs.
    Incorrect.

Although this isn't going to be an issue, as the budget has been passed.

But let me explain why this is not accurate.

The base management will ask the DES/CE/ect. commander what the absolute minimum manning is that he/she can live with (per 6055, 420-1, ect). Based on that number they cut the 'exempted' personal. The non exempt have already been sent home (Training, Prevention, Support Services). Now, if there is a military/civvie mix on base, the military would pick up most of the slack, and the exempted personnel would be cut even more.

Get with your union or hr rep. They can explain this better. Whoever told you that 'it's no different than when a snow storm hits' was mistaken.

Forum Member

Default Shutdown

While the threat of a gov't shutdown has been averted for now, the fiscal crisis will bring this issue back again.

As far as military and civilian firefighters, you are considered essential personnel to the mission. In the event that Crash/Fire/Rescue is not avaliable at an airfield, that airfield is considered shutdown and aircraft cannot land/depart from there. Without an operational airfield, a military installation cannot fulfill its mission.

Therefore, military and civilian firefighters will report for work. Of course, your chain and command and union will dicate this officially.

Forum Member

If you bank with Navy Federal, you will still get paid. Obviously the crisis is over for the now, but when this happens again it is nice to know that they will front you the money.

Thread Information