Forum Member

Default LA City/County Fire

I am a FF/PM from Florida and am considering moving to LA to be with my family. I see that the City has a freeze but the County's hiring process is ongoing. I know I will have to attend their Fire academy, and will need to become a National Registered Medic, which should be no problem. I am also certified as a DE/Hazmat tech/ CPR instructor and almost finished my FO1. Would I be able to have my certs transferred, and will it give me points in getting hired?
    Would like to know how long the process is if you are chosen and also looking for info about retirement benefits for the County.
    Considering Orange County as well, any thoughts?

Forum Member

I just moved from the area and have actually applied to LA City and County. Also Orange County. Love the area and would love to work there. LA County hiring takes like 2 years so you have to be patient. Orange County you need the BIDDLE test so thats a problem as youll have to take it over there. Have any questions get back to me.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Medic3.19 View Post
    I am a FF/PM from Florida and am considering moving to LA to be with my family. I see that the City has a freeze but the County's hiring process is ongoing. I know I will have to attend their Fire academy, and will need to become a National Registered Medic, which should be no problem. I am also certified as a DE/Hazmat tech/ CPR instructor and almost finished my FO1. Would I be able to have my certs transferred, and will it give me points in getting hired?
    Would like to know how long the process is if you are chosen and also looking for info about retirement benefits for the County.
    Considering Orange County as well, any thoughts?
    What type of certs do you have? By type, I mean are they Florida State Certs, IFSAC, ProBoard or what? Chances are that California State Fire Marshal's Office may not recognize them. Other States recognize our CSFM Certs but California doesn't recognize other States Certs normally. My advice is to call the CSFM and ask them, they may recognize them.

As far as retirement from LA County, if memory serves me correct it should be listed on their website. If not, make a contact there and ask them..... All of the FDs that you mention are great FDs and you're going to be exposed to various calls types, various assignments, great money, great retirement and great people.....
    "Be LOUD, Be PROUD..... It just might save your can someday when goin' through an intersection!!!!!"

Life on the Truck (Quint) is good.....

Eat til you're sleepy..... Sleep til you're hungry..... And repeat.....

Forum Member

Hey Medic, I am on the same plate. I have several IFSAC certs and CSFM will not accept them. I am waiting on finishing my EMS degree next year to apply for both departments, as I heard there is a high demand for ALS - as in anywhere else . I was ready to apply in OCFA but the biddle test messed me up. I was not able to sign up for any of them. I took the CPAT with NTN but is not accepted in LAFD, so as soon as they are ready to hire, will test the CPAT in the LA area.

NREMT is the only cert that will work in CA.

Forum Member

Thanks for the response guys. I ended calling the State Fire Marshall office and they told me to call the actual dept and find out if my certs are accepted. Called the County and was informed my certs does not transfer. My Wildland certs are good, and my EMS degree is good. All my certs are Florida State certs and do meet NFPA standard, and my Haz Mat was the actual IAFF 160 hr course. Was informed all I have to do is my CPAT in order to apply which should be no problem. Was going to do my NREMT-Medic, but was informed they will put me through their own medical training. Will be there summer time and already looking into doing my CPAT in OC. Will also be looking into the City.
    Did find information about retirement on website a while back, but will go ahead and visit and talk to someone to get more info.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silent8404 View Post
    I just moved from the area and have actually applied to LA City and County. Also Orange County. Love the area and would love to work there. LA County hiring takes like 2 years so you have to be patient. Orange County you need the BIDDLE test so thats a problem as youll have to take it over there. Have any questions get back to me.
    Look up biddle test on you tube, and I gotta go do it. Will be in LA for summer, so will see if I can sign up to do it. Also got my CPAT that will be doing also. MESH is a lot easier than the biddle.

Forum Member

Just be aware that LA County's hiring process is done by lottery.
    It doesn't matter what kind of certs and experience you have. You put your app in the pool with everyone else and when your number gets called you get to test.

I've had an app in for a while now. No luck. However, some of my buddies have gotten to take it twice. I haven't taken the test but I've heard it's fairly basic and that the hiring process is somewhat simple just a bit lengthy.

OCFA is going to test in about two months or so. Their whole process seems to be a bit more difficult than the rest. They now require the BIDDLE which can only be done in Southern California.

Forum Member

Correct. The LACOFD is a random draw by computer for the written which is about 340 pple 4x a year. I have taken it and moved to orals. The whole process is determined by your Oral interveiwer. Dont worry about your certs. They put you through their own stuff. Just be prepared for the Oral, it's a one shot deal at that point. Good luck. I have been in the California System for 4 years now and have mulitple certs. It is a numbers game. I have recently been hired back east so we will be moving as the job outlooks here are not looking good.

Thread Information