Forum Member

Default What do you recommend?

I need to buy some four gas detectors. What brand/model do you recommend? Money isn't the issue, size and functionality is...so the more compact and effective the better.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mildenhall Fire Rescue
    Deputy Fire Chief

Forum Member

What are you using them for? General fire service, confined space, hazmat or a specific use? This is important when specing which sensors you want in your meter.

That being said, we have a Rae Systems QRae II and we like it. Very user friendly. I have heard the new MSA getting good reviews lately as well.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Default 4 Gas Recommendations

Hey Mike,

I've been getting good reviews on the GfG G450 from the firefighters I know that have them. Pump on them is good too because it's detachable, I don't trust in bound pumps for fire fighters because half the time when something goes wrong on a RAE it's the pump screwing up.

The new Altair 4X is supposed to be awesome, they're probably the most beat-up-able monitors out there. MSA does a cool video where they drag it behind a truck and it still works. I've actually seen them calibrated under water. Their new oxygen sensor is supposed to last 3 years now as well (same as the GfG 450) so that should save you the headache of sending out the unit all the time for new oxygen sensors. I'd recommend avoiding the Solaris MSA unit though, I see those in with water damage all the time.

If you guys have the budget for it, I'd really recommend a bump/cal station as well. Saves you the hassle of teaching all the guys to calibrate it monthly and bump it before you go out. I do repairs on all of the major brands out there, so if you have a specific question on one before you buy let me know, I'd be happy to help.

James
    James Moore
    http://www.idealcalibrations.com
    ----
    "It's still alarming, how do I get it to stop?"
    "Have you tried getting your *** out of the god $#@!$# building?"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    What are you using them for? General fire service, confined space, hazmat or a specific use? This is important when specing which sensors you want in your meter.

That being said, we have a Rae Systems QRae II and we like it. Very user friendly. I have heard the new MSA getting good reviews lately as well.

We're demo'ing a QRae II right now, and it seems like a great general purpose monitor. Lowest TCO out there too. We probably will only get one with an H2SO4 sensor, and three others. Much cheaper than the competition.

Forum Member

We use the Q-Rae II. Only issue I have seen is that they really need to stay hooked into your vehicles electrical system to charge if you plan on using them for standard responses (smell of gas...) They just don't hold a charge all that well... If you keep them plugged in they are fine though.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by rmhinkle View Post
    We use the Q-Rae II. Only issue I have seen is that they really need to stay hooked into your vehicles electrical system to charge if you plan on using them for standard responses (smell of gas...) They just don't hold a charge all that well... If you keep them plugged in they are fine though.
    Agreed. Don't even try to keep the AA battery pack in them for a long period of time.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Do any of you use the docking stations that have the bump gas connected all the time?

We were looking into those, but were worried that with frequent bump testing, we would spend a fortune on calibration gas.

Forum Member

Default Just purchased for hazmat team.

We just bought the RKI Eagle 2 monitors after months of testing and evaluation. We looked at the MSA Altair's, Q-Rae, etc. and found that the Eagle 2's were great monitors and very user friendly. I am happy to get into the specifics if you need more information.

Thread Information