Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Columbus, OH 2011

Forum Member

thanks for the information Jamo. Do you remember if their is an appointment before the polygraph? I remember someone saying fingerprints, pictures and a meeting with the background investigation department come before the poly itself.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
    I turned in my PHQ on November 29, 2010 and didn't come back in for my polygraph until February 24, 2011. I'm racking my brain trying to remember if there was something in between then, but I don't think so. After the poly though it seemed to move faster, about one thing a month for the next 3 months up until my start date of June 27, 2011.

Good luck to you all, if you have any questions feel free to ask.
    How was your poly? I've never had one and I'm kinda nervous because I keep reading things about them being innaccurate. I don't have anything to hide, but I'm afraid my nerves are going to ruin it for me or jut some stupid glitch mess it up for me

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by franel29 View Post
    thanks for the information Jamo. Do you remember if their is an appointment before the polygraph? I remember someone saying fingerprints, pictures and a meeting with the background investigation department come before the poly itself.
    Could be. I hand delivered my background packet and while I was there I was printed and filled out some more paperwork. I was in and out in maybe 20 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by eku64ff826 View Post
    How was your poly? I've never had one and I'm kinda nervous because I keep reading things about them being innaccurate. I don't have anything to hide, but I'm afraid my nerves are going to ruin it for me or jut some stupid glitch mess it up for me
    I was scared too. I have a very clean background and nothing to hide, but it was my first one too and didn't know what to expect. The guy who ran it was very good at his job and kept me relaxed by breaking up the questioning with some back and forth BSing about sports and whatnot. He could tell I was nervous, but for the fit reasons, not because I was trying to deceive them. I think the whole process took just under 3 hours.
    rfd05 likes this.

Forum Member

Oh cool. I keep reading things about the background check guy trying to make you even more nervous and drilling you with all kinds of differet wordings of the same questions.

MembersZone Subscriber

I recieved a phone call today to go get fingerprinted etc on the 25th. I thought it was wierd since the 25th is a Saturday. I figured that nobody would be at headquarters on a saturday.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget8202 View Post
    I recieved a phone call today to go get fingerprinted etc on the 25th. I thought it was wierd since the 25th is a Saturday. I figured that nobody would be at headquarters on a saturday.
    Just got that call, too. Got scheduled for the 27.

Forum Member

Does anyone know who they send out the packets to first? For example do they send them out to everyone in the 90 band and then do all the next steps with everyone in the 90 band and chose a class from there? Also, does anyone know when or if they will get to the 80 band?

Forum Member

I just got the call for my Pre poly as well.

Forum Member

I am going in for the Pre Poly on 2/25 as well. I can't believe how fast this is going. This is great.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by franel29 View Post
    I am going in for the Pre Poly on 2/25 as well. I can't believe how fast this is going. This is great.
    That makes me feel better. I was driving when they called and had to quickly write down the time and date. I was a little concerned that I heard wrong when I saw it was a Saturday. I agree it's moving much faster than I thought it would

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nugget8202 View Post
    That makes me feel better. I was driving when they called and had to quickly write down the time and date. I was a little concerned that I heard wrong when I saw it was a Saturday. I agree it's moving much faster than I thought it would
    I had to laugh when you said this because I thought the exact same thing. I actually called back to doublecheck the date. I was in the middle of something at work when I wrote the date down and was so excited, I thought maybe I heard wrong, too.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by osu77 View Post
    Does anyone know who they send out the packets to first? For example do they send them out to everyone in the 90 band and then do all the next steps with everyone in the 90 band and chose a class from there? Also, does anyone know when or if they will get to the 80 band?
    good question. i was kind of curious myself. i can't remember where, but i read somewhere in this feed where they were talking about picking from the lower bands in the past tests. not sure on a time frame for this one though, but i wouldnt see why the wouldnt eventually start picking from the 80 band. but, does anybody know about who all got this first round of background checks?

Forum Member

Default packet went in today

Got it in today , took forever to track down my old commanding officer and gather up my college and HS transcripts.

Taking an educated guess at the number of packets they sent out, since we know there are going to be 35 people retiring this year which will be replaced. They will have sent out at least double that to have a healthy pool of process completed candidates. For two classes of 35 would make 70 plus people are going to be removed for various reasons. I would say the number of packets this first time is around 80 or 90. The real question you should be wondering is are you in the top 35?

Forum Member

I got a 98 on the FOAM, sent in my packet tuesday but still no call for the pre-poly. A friend of mine got a 93 on the FOAM but hasn't received his background packet yet.

Forum Member

mailed in my completed PHQ 2/10/12 have not been called to scehdule pre-poly, I assume this week or next since they have not recieved my PHQ yet.

Last go-round from time i turned in my PHQ till poly was nearly a year. Not that what happened before will happen again, just my experience.

If CFD is building a class of 35 i suspect they will be processing triple that number. Be happy if you're moving along but don't get too excited..... it's a long process and there is a real possiblility of getting bumped at every turn, even if you have a clean background and so on. Truth is there are a lot of solid canidates but only so many openings, the dept in charge of hiring can't place all the canidates, so many will get bumped..... just reality of the situation.
    Last edited by bergmeister; 02-13-2012 at 01:25 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

I have a question for you Jamo.....shouldnt you be on the engine instead of the computer???? hahaha To all of you in the process right now, just be patient! During your interviews and polys and such, be honest and DONT LIE!!!! This is the best job in the world and Columbus is hiring fast, unlike most of the FDs in this country! The city wants firefighters and the TA wants to train firefighters. Keep your noses clean and stay out of trouble. Im in class now and we are the last from the 2006 test, so count your blessing that you only waited 7 months to hear from them! Jamo is on company now and I cant wait to get out on company in July! If you all have questions just ask Jamo or I. We waited a LONG time for this job and we want others to get hired too!

Forum Member

Did any of you guys have your medic or 240 card before applying?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blachatch View Post
    All I have is my 36 hour volunteer in Ohio a few semesters in a fire degree at EKU. I heard they train you to your 240 and emt in the academy regardless. But, I guess that brings up the question on if they'll give preference to those with more experience once they get to the interview process. Jamo and fire, what was your interview like? Was it just like a typical fire department interview?

Forum Member

I was a 240/Basic when I got hired, though I had nothing when I applied many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by eku64ff826 View Post
    All I have is my 36 hour volunteer in Ohio a few semesters in a fire degree at EKU. I heard they train you to your 240 and emt in the academy regardless. But, I guess that brings up the question on if they'll give preference to those with more experience once they get to the interview process. Jamo and fire, what was your interview like? Was it just like a typical fire department interview?
    I don't think they give any preference for 240 or Medic. Regardless if you have 240 or not you'll still go through the entire 240 class and take all quizes and tests, except for the state test. If you're a Medic there is a good chance you'll have a class of your own while the rest are in Basic. Your class will be over SOP, Protocol, refreshers, etc.

I can't compare my interview experience to any other fire interviews as this was the first one I really had. This was also the first fire test I took (I took a few more after it though). The interview was pretty general, though I was pretty stressed about it for some reason. I think it's only natural to be nervous though.

Forum Member

Jamo where were you working part time? Im a few mintutes from you in hudson... gives me hope for guys who didnt have certs or much experience when applying. Columbus would be my dream job.. if they ever test again in the near future.

Forum Member

300 North 4th Street, Columbus, OH

is that where you guys did the pre polly?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by roncooper View Post
    300 North 4th Street, Columbus, OH

is that where you guys did the pre polly?
    Yes sir, that is the place.

Forum Member

Jamo where were you working part time? Im a few mintutes from you in hudson... gives me hope for guys who didnt have certs or much experience when applying. Columbus would be my dream job.. if they ever test again in the near future.
    Aurora Fire Department part-time. I also volunteered at Hudson EMS as a Basic for about a year.

Forum Member

Default polly schedule

Anyone get a call to schedule their Polly yet?

Forum Member

got a call wednesday to schedule poly

Thread Information