Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Columbus, OH 2011

Forum Member

nice job powerlifter. Did you get bonus points from vet status? I am in the 90 band as well, but I wish I knew how high up rank-wise.

Forum Member

I actually didn't have any Vet points you must be able to earn bonus points somehow? I wish we had a way of knowing where we ranked inside of each band or if that even matters?

Forum Member

I would say it doesn't even matter because why would they have bands then? If so it would just make sense to me that if they didn't then they would be able to tell you exactly where you are on the list just like the surrounding departments do. Thats just me though, I have no clue how it works

Forum Member

Default earlier test then May?

I have heard that there was an earlier test then the May exam we all took. I know there were over 6k that took our civil service exam. However, rumor has it there was a testing of 70 or so prior to May and that they are several steps into the process? I am not talking about the 2006 exam I am talking about one that took place this year. Anyone know anything about this?

Forum Member

I haven't heard about that but I mean who knows... All I am worried about is the test I took in may and hoping they hire like they did with the last class. They went down to the bone and picked guys from the 70 band. I'm hoping thats the case again.

Forum Member

Looking how long it took columbus to hire off the 2006 list many people had already moved on due to how long it took to hire. This may be be the reason for needing to delve so deep into the list. Besides that a simple evaluation of past performance shed some light on what to expect. Over 6k took the civil service I have heard a number as high as 7200, half passed. 3k took the physical fitness/foam looks like that placed 14xx on the eligibility list. There are still several steps yet to come and many will be removed for various reasons. With all that being said if you have found yourself on the eligibility list considerate a high probability you will have an opportunity to progress in the process.

To those whom did not move forward, internalize what mistakes may have been made, modify and better luck on your next opportunity.

For those that are moving on congrats and lets maintain an active thread so that future candidates can benefit.

I have been placed in the 90 band and much like others I really have a vague understanding of our progression through this process.

Forum Member

First of all, sorry to all those that are not moving forward and/or are not happy with their FOAM score. Secondly, congrats to all that did well and are moving forward. Did anyone else in this thread take the FOAM prep class?

I've only been through one other large city's testing process and the other city's "make or break" part of the process was a weighted/combined score of a written test and a 3 person panel oral exam which landed me in the top 5 overall.

Doing so well helped build my confidence in taking other large city tests. I realize Columbus is a seperate entity all together and all tests are different, but I must admit I was surprised at my score. I did my best to prepare, study, went to practice/prep sessions (including the FOAM prep class), practiced with a tape recorder in front of a mirror ect and had the prep class' scenario responses practically memorized. The FOAM was a little different but I felt comfortable and pretty confident in my responses. I even wore a suit (if that even matters or not).

My score was in the low to mid 70s and I was wondering how others faired that took the FOAM prep class.

As I mentioned before I don't have too much experience testing and from what I have gathered, Columbus' FOAM test is unique and is probably not used by other cities/departments. All that being said, I still wish there was a way to get feedback from the FOAM to determine opportunities to improve and find out why I did not get the score I was hoping for. I'll probably never know. We'll see what happens.

Again, congrats to everybody going forward and good luck!

Forum Member

As far as big city testing this was my first time. I have tested at a few small departments but nothing like this. I didn't do the best I wanted too on the written portion but I knocked out the physical agility and received 80 band on the FOAM. I couldn't go to the information session because of work but I did practice in front of a mirror. Who knows how they grade those FOAMs though, it could be as simple as the person grading your compared to another person but like I said who knows. We'll never know because if they gave us feed back, 3 years later everyone that didn't pass or didn't get to where they wanted would receive 100s on the next one making it unfair for people that couldn't take the test. I wish we got feedback! haha

Forum Member

I took the foam prep as well, and I thinked it helped out a lot. I left the test thinking that I didn't do that great, so I was surprised by my score. I wonder how they handed out "bonus points" or if the test just scores higher than
    100,and if so, then how high can it go? I figure that they probably won't start sending the PHQs for a while for the first wave. A lot of variables. Good luck to everybody.

Forum Member

Hello all, Recieved my placement notice today, happily placed in 90 band, says my score is 100. Anyone know what if anything the score means? I'm assuming perhaps i'm the 100th name down from the first one???

Last testing process i also placed iin 90 band, and i don't recall my score for certain but i think it 93 or 94. last time took about a year for me to move to the next step, poly.

A couple of you have said you've failed the FOAM??? my understanding is everyone passes we're placed in one of 3 bands (groups) does your notice say you "failied" ?

Forum Member

I originally thought that 100 would mean 100th from the first spot as well, but everybody in the 70 band seems to have a score in the 70s that I have talked to (read about) on and off the site. Someone would potentially have to have score 311 for the 90 band as well (for the bottommost spot). I don't know what to make of the scores, but I guess I should just be relieved to be in the top band, regardless of score, and to have a good shot of moving on to the next step.

Forum Member

how far did you get last time through bergmeister? I know they eventually dipped into the 80 or even to the 70 band. What part tripped you up? This is my first time through the process and I am in the dark other than what I read as to what to expect.

MembersZone Subscriber

I heard the highest score was 112. I was told that several people scored above 100 but they are included in the 311 that make up the 90 band. Look at the score you received in the email. It will say your band is 90, your score is 90.000 or 95.001 (this is where you rank in the band). They will send background packets out starting at the top of the list (112) and work their way down the list. This is how I understand the process.

The 2006 list was supposed to expire in 2009 I believe, but ended up running until 2011. I can't remember how many made the list, but I think it was somewhat comparable to this list. I think they made it to the high 70s with hiring.

Good luck to everyone in the process!

Forum Member

@franel29, the poly

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bergmeister View Post
    @franel29, the poly
    Yeah, I am always thinking ahead, and am concerned with that being the next major part. I have a tame past, but am just nervous about what to expect, and with the reliability of them, just am a llittle uptight. good luck this time around.

Forum Member

Does anyone know how many they are hiring this time? Are they sending everyone on the eligible list the background check info in the mail?

I also scored in the 90 band and was just curious to what happens next and when. The letter was very vague. The foam prep class helped a lot! Congrats to everyone and goodluck!

For what its worth I have spoken to a Lt on the job and a wife of another FF who is active in the goings on of the department and both said this is the list to be on and they intend to hire a decent amount off this list. But they were also surprised they had as many classes on from the last exam.

I too wish I could get a little light shined upon what they didn't like in my FOAM. For the person who asked, yes you can fail the FOAM my letter said that I scored a 63, did not meet minimum requirements and would not continue on in the hiring process. I really don't know what I did or didn't do to merit such a low score but next time I will attend a practice session as I previously said since, other then the fact that it was a video with a recorder, I didn't know what to expect.

Good luck to everyone moving on. I was not looking forward to the poly thats for sure. I have a friend who took a poly for the state for a forensic scientist position near Cleveland. He answered all the questions pre-poly truthfully, then was asked completely different questions and was notified that he showed "misleading answers" or whatever term they use.

Forum Member

Congrats to everyone that has passed the FOAM! I passed and was placed in the 90 band. I am very excited to possibly have an oppurtinity to possibly moved forward with the process. I know that the December 2011 class is filled off of the 2006 list. Does anyone know when our list is expected to start hearing about the next steps if we are selected to move forward with the hiring process? To those that are currently in a class for Columbus congrats on making it all the way through the process!

Forum Member

I also scored in the low 70's. I took the Don McNea Fire School Prep Course which did indeed help with my confidence and overall answers. However, I am baffled at what their scoring preferences were in Columbus? Was it the fact they had so many to review that they might have gotten picky as they went down the list? There are some I heard that didn't take the course (obviously some do not need the course or want to take it) and scored in the 90's. Now I am not in any way blaming Don Mcnea Fire School for my results, my results are my problem. I have taken the Prep Courses in the past and have fantastic test scores with other departments because of the insight and tips that were taught. But with regards to the scoring in Columbus, I am just confused. I guess I would like to know which answers that I said were insufficient or what wasn't said?!?! Again, I know I cannot receive those answers directly nor anyone else. I just want to know if anyone else has heard anything or know anything? No big deal, I accept my scores and will continue to try to get on with other departments fully knowing it's very competitive nature.
    Last edited by honestman; 11-29-2011 at 01:18 PM.

Forum Member

It looks like the City of Columbus budget for 2012 has come out and there will be a class of 35 sometime in 2012. I have heard that it should be around June. They should validate our list sometime after the first of the year and they will start sending out background packets for the 90 band.

Thread Information