Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Columbus, OH 2011

Forum Member

My test is 5/14 at 800am... Heading down from MI.

Is Columbus the place where they do all 3 tests in one day? Written, FOAM and agility? I thought it was here, or maybe it was another place....

Forum Member

Nope, not all 3 tests in one day. Once you pass the written you get dates on Physical agility and FOAM

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by doubled8206 View Post
    Nope, not all 3 tests in one day. Once you pass the written you get dates on Physical agility and FOAM
    Cool thanks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Crap!!! I am scheduled for 5/21 and already have a test that day in Evanston IL. Need to see if I can reschedule Columbus for another date or just not go to Evanston.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Crap!!! I am scheduled for 5/21 and already have a test that day in Evanston IL. Need to see if I can reschedule Columbus for another date or just not go to Evanston.
    I have to reschedule mine as well, let me know if they let you reschedule it please.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    I'm renting a car and heading out from Brooklyn.

I just looked online and they have me scheduled for 5/14 at 1PM.
    I'm in Jersey City. I scheduled to take the test on the 21st, but I would like to change it to an earlier date.

I don't have a car so I'm looking for some other guys who are heading down there.

Forum Member

Good luck on getting it reschdule, but remember this is a large city with a lot of people to talk too. It's civil service and we all know what thats like. Columbus has been hiring as the past year and should continue in the years to come. You are just one over how many thousand that signed up, good luck changing the date. If they don't ,you should do what ever it takes to be here for the test.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by columbusfire10 View Post
    Good luck on getting it reschdule, but remember this is a large city with a lot of people to talk too. It's civil service and we all know what thats like. Columbus has been hiring as the past year and should continue in the years to come. You are just one over how many thousand that signed up, good luck changing the date. If they don't ,you should do what ever it takes to be here for the test.
    That's definitely true. I'm from New Jersey though , where we have perhaps the worse civil service system in the country, I'm sure dealing with Ohio will be a pleasure.

I'm going to make it out there regardless.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by OHFirestopper View Post
    I have to reschedule mine as well, let me know if they let you reschedule it please.
    On the email they sent it said you can go to another date May 10-21 I think but you will only be aloud in based on available space. You can't call and change dates. I will be there as I think Evanston is only establishing a list, not sure on their hiring or how many. I know Columbus is hiring 100-150.

MembersZone Subscriber

what is meant when i se people talking about i wasin the 80 band or 100 band whats this mean?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by galice View Post
    what is meant when i se people talking about i wasin the 80 band or 100 band whats this mean?
    It was from a previous exam. They band you buy score etc.

Forum Member

So the band is the percentile rank in groups of 10 that you scored on the FOAM. So the 90 band is a score from 90 - 100%. Columbus will take everyone who scored in the 90 BAND at one time. If they are hiring 150 and there are 200 who scored in the 90 band and they get 150 out of that band, that's pretty much it unless they hire again within the eligibility list. So the 80 band is 80-89 basically. Now, within your band is your raw score and that is how they move through the band. So, you MUST do your absolute best on the FOAM and score as high as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrobombero View Post
    So the band is the percentile rank in groups of 10 that you scored on the FOAM. So the 90 band is a score from 90 - 100%. Columbus will take everyone who scored in the 90 BAND at one time. If they are hiring 150 and there are 200 who scored in the 90 band and they get 150 out of that band, that's pretty much it unless they hire again within the eligibility list. So the 80 band is 80-89 basically. Now, within your band is your raw score and that is how they move through the band. So, you MUST do your absolute best on the FOAM and score as high as you can.
    Is the FOAM test used anywhere outside of Columbus? It sounds pretty intense.

Forum Member

Not sure if it is used anywhere else.
    It's not THAT intense, but it is pretty subjective based upon how a panel feels you presented yourself.
    Basically, you watch a video of some scenario and you place yourself into the scene in the first person point of view. The video suddenly stops and you have x amount of time to complete the scene as you would in real life. Then you are judged and ranked by the panel. This becomes your ultimate band.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrobombero View Post
    Not sure if it is used anywhere else.
    It's not THAT intense, but it is pretty subjective based upon how a panel feels you presented yourself.
    Basically, you watch a video of some scenario and you place yourself into the scene in the first person point of view. The video suddenly stops and you have x amount of time to complete the scene as you would in real life. Then you are judged and ranked by the panel. This becomes your ultimate band.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds kinda like a popularity contest.

Forum Member

This is why the panel is usually made up of FF from other departments around the state, and not from CFD. That was the explanation I received when I took it. I think they judge your reaction, demeanor, what your actions were, if you are confident or arrogant, personable, etc. I have no idea what they are really looking for, but that seems to me to be about what it was.

Forum Member

Ohhhh boyyy. I have a few friends who took the bpad, which is the police version of FOAM by the sounds of it, he said don't be a dick, be polite, well spoken, good tone, don't be an ***. Basically treat it like customer service, like your answering a phone at a business.

Others have said the oral board(for police) was the same as the bpad, but in front of the officers and not into a camera.

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

I just printed the study guide. I am glad I did as this doesn't look like the typical civil service test. All types of tools to memorize. I know what a hammer is and a phillips head but some of these tools I don't know the real names for. Print it out and look at it if you have not done so. I have never taken this test so maybe it is basic stuff but the study guide seems to prove otherwise.

I have a question maybe someone can answer. I'm due to process into the military in the next week or two and will most likely leave for basic late July early August. I know that in any civil service test if they call your number and your in active duty they save your spot until your done. But what happens if I take my written and get sent to basic before I can do the physical or FOAM? I tried to call Columbus today but didn't make it home before they closed and I don't think the office is open tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    I have a question maybe someone can answer. I'm due to process into the military in the next week or two and will most likely leave for basic late July early August. I know that in any civil service test if they call your number and your in active duty they save your spot until your done. But what happens if I take my written and get sent to basic before I can do the physical or FOAM? I tried to call Columbus today but didn't make it home before they closed and I don't think the office is open tomorrow.
    Are you active or going guard? They don't have to hold anything because you don't have a job. To my understanding all you are entitled to is the test. They don't save you a spot because you haven't been selected for employment. I would assume if your national guard you could finish the process and get on the list for a future class
    Last edited by TL678; 04-21-2011 at 09:33 AM.

Thread Information