Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Columbus, OH 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by galice View Post
    what is meant when i se people talking about i wasin the 80 band or 100 band whats this mean?
    It was from a previous exam. They band you buy score etc.

Forum Member

So the band is the percentile rank in groups of 10 that you scored on the FOAM. So the 90 band is a score from 90 - 100%. Columbus will take everyone who scored in the 90 BAND at one time. If they are hiring 150 and there are 200 who scored in the 90 band and they get 150 out of that band, that's pretty much it unless they hire again within the eligibility list. So the 80 band is 80-89 basically. Now, within your band is your raw score and that is how they move through the band. So, you MUST do your absolute best on the FOAM and score as high as you can.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrobombero View Post
    So the band is the percentile rank in groups of 10 that you scored on the FOAM. So the 90 band is a score from 90 - 100%. Columbus will take everyone who scored in the 90 BAND at one time. If they are hiring 150 and there are 200 who scored in the 90 band and they get 150 out of that band, that's pretty much it unless they hire again within the eligibility list. So the 80 band is 80-89 basically. Now, within your band is your raw score and that is how they move through the band. So, you MUST do your absolute best on the FOAM and score as high as you can.
    Is the FOAM test used anywhere outside of Columbus? It sounds pretty intense.

Forum Member

Not sure if it is used anywhere else.
    It's not THAT intense, but it is pretty subjective based upon how a panel feels you presented yourself.
    Basically, you watch a video of some scenario and you place yourself into the scene in the first person point of view. The video suddenly stops and you have x amount of time to complete the scene as you would in real life. Then you are judged and ranked by the panel. This becomes your ultimate band.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrobombero View Post
    Not sure if it is used anywhere else.
    It's not THAT intense, but it is pretty subjective based upon how a panel feels you presented yourself.
    Basically, you watch a video of some scenario and you place yourself into the scene in the first person point of view. The video suddenly stops and you have x amount of time to complete the scene as you would in real life. Then you are judged and ranked by the panel. This becomes your ultimate band.
    Thanks for the info. Sounds kinda like a popularity contest.

Forum Member

This is why the panel is usually made up of FF from other departments around the state, and not from CFD. That was the explanation I received when I took it. I think they judge your reaction, demeanor, what your actions were, if you are confident or arrogant, personable, etc. I have no idea what they are really looking for, but that seems to me to be about what it was.

Forum Member

Ohhhh boyyy. I have a few friends who took the bpad, which is the police version of FOAM by the sounds of it, he said don't be a dick, be polite, well spoken, good tone, don't be an ***. Basically treat it like customer service, like your answering a phone at a business.

Others have said the oral board(for police) was the same as the bpad, but in front of the officers and not into a camera.

Good luck!

MembersZone Subscriber

I just printed the study guide. I am glad I did as this doesn't look like the typical civil service test. All types of tools to memorize. I know what a hammer is and a phillips head but some of these tools I don't know the real names for. Print it out and look at it if you have not done so. I have never taken this test so maybe it is basic stuff but the study guide seems to prove otherwise.

Forum Member

I have a question maybe someone can answer. I'm due to process into the military in the next week or two and will most likely leave for basic late July early August. I know that in any civil service test if they call your number and your in active duty they save your spot until your done. But what happens if I take my written and get sent to basic before I can do the physical or FOAM? I tried to call Columbus today but didn't make it home before they closed and I don't think the office is open tomorrow.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    I have a question maybe someone can answer. I'm due to process into the military in the next week or two and will most likely leave for basic late July early August. I know that in any civil service test if they call your number and your in active duty they save your spot until your done. But what happens if I take my written and get sent to basic before I can do the physical or FOAM? I tried to call Columbus today but didn't make it home before they closed and I don't think the office is open tomorrow.
    Are you active or going guard? They don't have to hold anything because you don't have a job. To my understanding all you are entitled to is the test. They don't save you a spot because you haven't been selected for employment. I would assume if your national guard you could finish the process and get on the list for a future class
    Last edited by TL678; 04-21-2011 at 10:33 AM.

MembersZone Subscriber

i know it says that want you to become a medic in a certain time frame once you get hired how does that work? do they send you to medic school in the academy? or is it one of those things you have to get your medic cert in a year or after a certain time frame

Forum Member

My BI informed me of this:
    Columbus is one of only 3 houses in the country that does their own EMS training and certification.
    The fire academy is about 6 months and you'll have FF2 and EMT-B when you get out. You'll be on company for about 2 years before you do Medic school. You'll do medic school on your unit day for the first 8 hours of your shift and go back to company for the other 16 hours of your shift.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ok that sounds cool thanks for the help... And I assume if your already an emtb or medic you just skip that portion in the academy

Forum Member

Nope. You go through the academy as a class and do it all over, even if you have your b card and your FFII.

As far as medic is concerned, since that is done on company, I do not know for sure, but somehow, I doubt you get out of it.

MembersZone Subscriber

Wow medics going through emt b training haha well I guess its good review

Forum Member

Anyone coming down from MI 5/14 for the test??

Forum Member

There are likely Columbus protocols that you would need to know anyway, that might be different from your protocols.
    Last edited by jeffrobombero; 04-21-2011 at 02:39 PM.

Forum Member

Default Looking for a roommate

Looking for a roommate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any new recruits starting in June and need a place to live. I am in the Current class, and looking for a roommate. I have found some nice places; average rent is 450-475 per person. One is even a town house with a fenced in patio. The places I am looking at have a pool and gym on site. IF you have any interest in a place please call or e-mail me. I am looking to move in the end of May or first week in June. 216-789-0596 or wspeer2601@hotmail.com

Forum Member

What are you Columbus fire guys hearing about the budget? Is this current class being hired for retirements? Any insight on the city of Columbus financial status in general.

Forum Member

Ok, guys I'm gonna be in town Thursday and will be leaving Sunday. My test is Sat at 1PM. I'll probably be out atleast one night watching the Lightning/Bruins game. I'm also bringing my mountain bike and intend to hit a couple trails nearby. Anybody want to get together let me know.

MembersZone Subscriber

Taking the early morning flight from Boston on saturday for the test at 1:00. Go Bruins!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Taking the early morning flight from Boston on saturday for the test at 1:00. Go Bruins!
    Go Bolts!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Does anyone know how much of the test is based on the study guide? I know alot more about Pulleys and Spur Gears than I ever have. Next...memorizing tools I don't know.

Forum Member

Seemed pretty easy to me Anybody know when we get the results?

Forum Member

If you listened, the women clearly said the last week of June.......

Thread Information