+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 First ... 4567891017 ... Last
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Columbus, OH 2011

Forum Member

Pm sent thanks!

MembersZone Subscriber

I can't find the written removal standards. Can someone post the link to these?

Thanks guys.

MembersZone Subscriber

MembersZone Subscriber

Thank you!

MembersZone Subscriber

So my assumption is if you smoked pot in the past as a dumb kid in college/high school you won't be ruled out you just have to be truthful about it and that you didn't smoke it all day everyday. That a good assumption? That said if you are smoking crack in an alley filled with hookers and pimps you could be screwed.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    That said if you are smoking crack in an alley filled with hookers and pimps you could be screwed.
    Crap.. looks like I'll be applying elsewhere.

Forum Member

Hey guys, alot of you might have seen this but I just found it the other day and its pretty cool.

http://thebattalion.tv/webisodes/midwest/cdf

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Desire4theJob View Post
    Hey guys, alot of you might have seen this but I just found it the other day and its pretty cool.

http://thebattalion.tv/webisodes/midwest/cdf
    Awesome! Thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

So my assumption is if you smoked pot in the past as a dumb kid in college/high school you won't be ruled out you just have to be truthful about it and that you didn't smoke it all day everyday. That a good assumption?
    Essentially, if you have participated in any of the acts on the list in the time frame specified, you are automatically eliminated. There is little recourse. You are allowed to appeal, but can only argue that the information they have is incorrect. If you did it, you are not eligible. They feel they have 1000's of candidates to select, so they don't really care to hear any explanations/excuses.

The poly is then used to validate the accuracy of your answers on the background packet they will provide you. This is a very specific and detailed questionnaire in which they ask you about everything from relationships to finances, criminal history to sexual behavior and anything in between. They also verify that the information you wrote on your application was truthful. They claim they can determine if you are lying or just withholding truthful answers. If either of those are detected, you are eliminated. If the polygraph administrator determines you told the truth, you are said to have passed the poly. This DOES NOT mean you will move on in the process. You will be removed after a passed poly if you admitted to any of the acts listed in the removal standard. That decision comes from the CSC and CDF BI Division at a later date.

That said if you are smoking crack in an alley filled with hookers and pimps you could be screwed.
    I would guess that there is little chance of NOT getting screwed in this scenario!
    Last edited by Hewartson47; 07-07-2011 at 02:56 PM.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ct1992 View Post
    I am somewhat worried about the poly as well because im unsure of what they are trying to do. Are they simply looking for honesty or do they expect everyone to be 100% cookie cutter perfect? I have no record and do not abuse alcohol or any drug for that matter. But many experiment when young and dumb it seems outlandish to me that they would not consider you for the job anymore because of some mistake years ago. Any input from people with experience would be great. I scored a 91 on my written and I am very confident in my FOAM ability given my work history. Potentially winding up in the top band and being rejected due to a widely disregarded tool would be very depressing. I've never wanted anything more in my life!
    Just a word of advice...do not underestimate the FOAM! Worry about the poly if/when you get that far. I know several guys who have extensive fire/EMS experience and have participated in many different panel and chiefs interviews with great success. However, they all scored poorly on the FOAM. They knew what they would do in the given situations, but the unique format of the FOAM really messed them up. The questions/situations are easy and require only common sense, but expressing your answer in the required format is a challenge.

MembersZone Subscriber

dumb question: I have a Cpat certificate. I was wondering if I can use that for as a substitute for the PCT? My guess is no but since it is a harder test I wondered if it was worth a shot.

Forum Member

What's up? Passed the written and am scheduled for the Physical and FOAM. Had a few questions for anyone who has been through the process or is familiar with the process for Columbus. It looks like the 2nd and 3rd phases of the exam are being conducted all throughout August. It looks like I'm scheduled for the first day of them. Was curious to know how it is determined what day you test i.e. is it alphabetical, based on written test score, age ect....just curious but maybe it's random. It sounds like it could be a long process depending on if and when they plan on starting an academy but after the FOAM, will they start with the PHQ and backgound check/poly/at home interview/oral board/medical stress/psych immediately for those who score high enough and then establish a list from the people who make it through? Or will they just take the highest scores from the FOAM and make a list in Novemeber and then at some point after that start with all the background stuff ect....just wondering if the eligible list comes before or after background stuff. I've been through another large city's entire process so I was wondering if it is similar to Columbus. Also it seems like they are currently going through the process to potentially start a class in December. If there is a list established from the current exam 2011 by November, is there any chance they may try and take people from the current exam if they have a hard time filling the class with people from the 2006 exam? Just from going through the threads I'm trying to determine how it works. Seems like some candidates are being pushed along faster than others and from different lists. Or maybe it just appears that way. Also will they do at home interviews for people that apply from outside Columbus area? Not to put the cart before the horse, and there is a long way to go to be worryin about the stuff down the line but I was just curious to know what we're all up against as far as a timeline goes. Any insight is appreciated.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ct1992 View Post
    I am somewhat worried about the poly as well because im unsure of what they are trying to do. Are they simply looking for honesty or do they expect everyone to be 100% cookie cutter perfect? I have no record and do not abuse alcohol or any drug for that matter. But many experiment when young and dumb it seems outlandish to me that they would not consider you for the job anymore because of some mistake years ago. Any input from people with experience would be great. I scored a 91 on my written and I am very confident in my FOAM ability given my work history. Potentially winding up in the top band and being rejected due to a widely disregarded tool would be very depressing. I've never wanted anything more in my life!
    You do not have to be cookie cutter perfect, I sure wasn't. What you need to do is be consistent with your answers regarding your past, and as long as you're truthful, this should be easy. I took the test back in 2006 and it wasn't until LATE in 2010 that I got my background packet in the mail. What saved me is that the same truths I told back in 2006, I told again in 2010. They grilled me on my marijuana use, but because I was truthful about it, and it wasn't within the time frame they were concerned with, it wasn't a big deal. If I had tried to lie about it, that would be a different story. Relax, tell the truth, and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    Just a word of advice...do not underestimate the FOAM! Worry about the poly if/when you get that far. I know several guys who have extensive fire/EMS experience and have participated in many different panel and chiefs interviews with great success. However, they all scored poorly on the FOAM. They knew what they would do in the given situations, but the unique format of the FOAM really messed them up. The questions/situations are easy and require only common sense, but expressing your answer in the required format is a challenge.
    Best. Advice. Ever.

I wish someone would have told me this when I was going through it. I blew it off, didn't practice, and didn't put any time into it. I was LUCKY to have made the top 80 band and eventually get selected. That FOAM is one tricky mother, and if you don't take the time to practice and get it right, it WILL cost you this job. I was extremely lucky in that they extended the list I was on as long as they did, because my spot on the list, which is based solely on the FOAM, was not that great.

Quote Originally Posted by runner32 View Post
    What's up? Passed the written and am scheduled for the Physical and FOAM. Had a few questions for anyone who has been through the process or is familiar with the process for Columbus. It looks like the 2nd and 3rd phases of the exam are being conducted all throughout August. It looks like I'm scheduled for the first day of them. Was curious to know how it is determined what day you test i.e. is it alphabetical, based on written test score, age ect....just curious but maybe it's random. It sounds like it could be a long process depending on if and when they plan on starting an academy but after the FOAM, will they start with the PHQ and backgound check/poly/at home interview/oral board/medical stress/psych immediately for those who score high enough and then establish a list from the people who make it through? Or will they just take the highest scores from the FOAM and make a list in Novemeber and then at some point after that start with all the background stuff ect....just wondering if the eligible list comes before or after background stuff. I've been through another large city's entire process so I was wondering if it is similar to Columbus. Also it seems like they are currently going through the process to potentially start a class in December. If there is a list established from the current exam 2011 by November, is there any chance they may try and take people from the current exam if they have a hard time filling the class with people from the 2006 exam? Just from going through the threads I'm trying to determine how it works. Seems like some candidates are being pushed along faster than others and from different lists. Or maybe it just appears that way. Also will they do at home interviews for people that apply from outside Columbus area? Not to put the cart before the horse, and there is a long way to go to be worryin about the stuff down the line but I was just curious to know what we're all up against as far as a timeline goes. Any insight is appreciated.
    Paragraphs, they're your friend

1. I don't think, but I'm not sure, that the date of your test has anything to do with placement or anything important. What matters is how you do on the FOAM.

2. It is a very long process. As far as I know they establish a list based on the results of the FOAM, they'll issue that list to all candidates on the list with your band number. From there you'll receive your background packet and your PHQ. After you pass background the rest of the process begins.

3. They are working on a class for December and it's from the current list, from 2006. There was talk of having a class of 35 but some people from that December class have been pulled down into the June class because of drop outs. It seems like they are currently interviewing more people to fill in the December class, but obviously they are still coming off the 2006 list. Last I knew they were still in the 80 band of the 2006 list and were entertaining the thought of dipping into the 70 band and exhausting the list as best they can before moving on to the your list. I don't think, but it's anybody's guess, that they will put candidates from your list into this coming December class. most likely you're looking at June 2012 start date.

4. Yes, they do in-home interviews for people that do not live in Columbus. I live 2 hours north of the city and they came to my house. The gentleman who came to my house was headed to North Carolina for an in-home the very next day. So, they will travel, I'm not sure how far, but they definitely do travel.

Forum Member

Thanks for the insight Jamo!

Forum Member

Jamo,

How do you suggest preparing for the FOAM. The Don Mcnea fire school is the only thing I have been able to find in regards of FOAM preparation.
    1) Is the panel looking for specific qualities, actions, characteristics etc.?
    2) Are there any online resources?
    3) If you had to take the FOAM again, what would you do differently to prepare?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knewlan015 View Post
    Jamo,

How do you suggest preparing for the FOAM. The Don Mcnea fire school is the only thing I have been able to find in regards of FOAM preparation.
    Hope we get some practice FOAM time at the practice PT dates..even if there isn't a station for the FOAM, I'm sure some of the guys there wouldn't mind giving a quick class on the foam?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by knewlan015 View Post
    Jamo,

1. I believe they are looking for good communication skills, eye contact, a clear voice, good vocabulary, good sentence structure, etc. As far as actions go, I'd say no, as you're seated in a chair in front of a video monitor. I would try not to make excessive use of your hands when talking, unless you're trying to describe something with gestures.

2. I tried looking for a buddy who is in the same process as you all right now, and didn't come up with much. I checked youtube and such and there wasn't a whole lot out there. I bet if you dig deeper than I did though, you'll find someone who knows something.

3. I'd do what I suggested above, dig deep online and find info about it. Check into McNea and Capt. Bob, they might have stuff on the FOAM. If you have any friends or family members that have gone through it before, recently, ask them. Get active on these and other forums.

MembersZone Subscriber

Hi Forum,

Has anyone attended the physical test prep? I am in Boston and going out for the actual test/Foam but can't afford to go out for the prep stuff. any feedback on what it is like is appreciated. I passed Cpat before and that wasn't to bad and per the descriptions online of the Columbus PAT I am not worried but curious.

Thanks Forum.

Forum Member

I believe the best way to prepare for the FOAM test is to get the material or attend the Don McNea upcoming seminars to be in the best position you can be to pass this type of test where up to 7,000 could be testing. Don't be caught flatfooted.

More here: http://www.fireprep.com/2011_columbu...am_prepar.html
    Last edited by CaptBob; 07-18-2011 at 02:30 PM.
    ______________________________ _______________

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Anyone do the practice PT yet? The stair stepper is a killer!

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it worse than the Cpat stair climber? I don't think the Cpat stair climber was tough.

Forum Member

Never did the Cpat

MembersZone Subscriber

Is it worse than the Cpat stair climber? I don't think the Cpat stair climber was tough.
    The CFD step test is 30 seconds longer, but the vest is 35# lighter and you get a break when you are done.

Also, they note a 4-minute rest period after each event. Unless this is new for 2011, they must be referring to a minimum rest. I waited much longer than that between stations last process.

Forum Member

Went to Practice PCT session yesterday but got there too late to do anything beyond watching an info video and doing the stair climb, got it but couldn't have went much longer i'll need to improve before test day.

Went back today and did the other 3 events twice each. time on hose drag 18 seconds, dummy drag 22 secs, pike pole 31 seconds. It's likely on test day my times will be a bit slower. Noticed all of the ladies there today were having a big struggle.

In past, on test days i was given exactly 4 mins between each event, a monitor was assigned to me and took me from station to station and told me how much time remaining and when to start.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bergmeister View Post
    In past, on test days i was given exactly 4 mins between each event, a monitor was assigned to me and took me from station to station and told me how much time remaining and when to start.
    Good to know. My session was so full of candidates that we were jammed up after each event. Must have been a bad day for the proctors.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 21 First ... 4567891017 ... Last

Thread Information