Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 4567891017 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Columbus, OH 2011

MembersZone Subscriber

76 and PCT FOAM on 8/18 at 2:30. Pumped I passed!!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Question on the PCT. I am not concerned about most of it but I am worried about the dummy drag. I am 6'2 and wondering if that will screw me if the maze is 3x4. anyone have any info on that and best way to get through in 39 seconds that has taken it before?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by bbell1977 View Post
    Question on the PCT. I am not concerned about most of it but I am worried about the dummy drag. I am 6'2 and wondering if that will screw me if the maze is 3x4. anyone have any info on that and best way to get through in 39 seconds that has taken it before?
    You have nothing to worry about. The test is one of the easier ones I have taken. Your height will not have any negative impact on this test.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Hewartson47 View Post
    You have nothing to worry about. The test is one of the easier ones I have taken. Your height will not have any negative impact on this test.
    Great!!! Thanks Hewartson, I appreciate it. I wonder if they have a youtube video of the PCT.

Forum Member

@Reich, I understand what everyone is saying it just makes you wonder why they would even give you a score if it doesn't matter. Should be pass/fail not 97%

Forum Member

I think that is just their standard. I have taken the civil service exam with Columbus for other positions in the past and everytime the email with results has looked amost exactly the same. Besides, if they grade or rate any other way than specified on the csc website or in their information session they are asking for a lawsuit from someone.

Forum Member

Lawsuits are popular these days! No one is ever happy, it becomes frustrating when people get upset they aren't hired because they didn't perform as well as others in the process and then cost cities millions and others jobs because they had to play a card to get their way. But I agree, the city sticking to what is written is the best way to avoid that....hopefully I can find myself with a FOAM score as high as my written! Again, good luck to everyone.

Forum Member

so im sure you guys all got the practice test dates...is it smart to attend all 3? or just 1? and it is 8:00am-4:00pm. What are we going to be doing that entire time?!?!?!

Forum Member

Deff. seems like alot of people made it past the 71%. I passed but not with a score i wanted. I wonder if it's even worth going to any other test.

Quote Originally Posted by s5rx7 View Post
    Deff. seems like alot of people made it past the 71%. I passed but not with a score i wanted. I wonder if it's even worth going to any other test.
    From the looks of it it might not matter what number score you got on the written. Not that I want the competition but I'd go if I were you. It seems like the FOAM is the most important part. I need to find more information on how this FOAM works, I've never seen anything like it and I can't attend any practice sessions because I'm moving from NYC to SF in the next month.

MembersZone Subscriber

question on the Foam. It says on the study guide do not answer it as "How you would respond". If thats the case then how do you answer? I have never taken anything like the foam so any help is appreciated. It seems confusing.

MembersZone Subscriber

They want you to answer and interact as if you are really in the situation. They are literally telling you not to say "I would do this" or "If that were me I would...". For example, say a segment of the FOAM has a bus driver asking you for your fare. When it is time to respond, don't say "I would pay my fare" or "I would be professional". You are expected to respond as if you are actually interacting with the bus driver. A possible response would be, "Yes, sir. Here is my fare. Thank you!"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks again Hewartson. Are you on the dept?

MembersZone Subscriber

I am not...been through the process, though.

Forum Member

so this foam segement is not like..what would you do if someone got in a wreck and you were first on scene? Is it more day to day activity in life then?? like meeting someone new..a kid asking to help find his mom...getting something off the shelf for an elder lady??

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF247-365 View Post
    so this foam segement is not like..what would you do if someone got in a wreck and you were first on scene? Is it more day to day activity in life then?? like meeting someone new..a kid asking to help find his mom...getting something off the shelf for an elder lady??
    Actually, it's neither. My example was generic as not to give out specific questions from the exam. The actual situations will be based on events related to being a firefighter. The key point is that you are expected to act out your answers rather than simply saying "this is what I would do". You need to be an actor, not a commentator.

Forum Member

alright thanks though...and im sure its easir said then done haha

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FF247-365 View Post
    alright thanks though...and im sure its easir said then done haha
    No doubt. It feels really weird trying to hold a conversation with a TV screen!

Forum Member

@hewartsons47, how far in the process have you made it? this is my 3rd go, got myself tripped up in the poly segment from the last test group. hopefully i'll make 90 band again.

Forum Member

@berg- if you don't mind I think we would all like to know your past experiences with the PCT and FOAM; maybe just a little friendly insight. Was the poly something unusual or is it really something that they we should be concerned with if we make it to that point? If there is any info you don't want to disclose that is understandable...you know how it is, we are all just anxious to find out as much info as possible! Thanks, Reich
    Last edited by Reich; 06-30-2011 at 10:06 PM.

Thread Information