Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 27 123411 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Columbus, OH 2011

Forum Member

Default Columbus, OH 2011

Anybody else put in? I know today was the deadline. Never have tested with a department in ohio before. I've seen on here that a list is already in place? Are guys still being pulled off of it? If so then why are they giving this exam? Anybody know how long to expect before a class is even pulled off of it? Thanks

Forum Member

The current list is about 5-6 years old now. They are pulling about 60 from it (hopefully, I am one of those 60). This 60 will be in a class that is scheduled for June of this year and the budget for it is actually an approved 2010 budget. hopefully this SB5 crap won't poop-can it for me.
    The application that you just filled out will be for classes in 2012 and 2013 most likely. The academy is now about 6 months long I am told.
    The lists are normally good for 2 years, but sometimes they extend them. The crappy economy is the reason why they kept extending my list. I scored in the high 80 percentile too. So, I highly doubt I would have made it if it had not been extended 3 times.
    Just remember that all the beans and bacon rides in the 3rd or 4th step - whenever you have to take the video-scenario test. All the other steps are just pass and fail and it makes no difference...so long as you pass them.
    The video is subjective of how you would react in 'x' situation. Various officers from various departments will ultimately rank you and you most definitely want to get into the 90's to get called up for your PHQ and to continue on.

Good luck!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ReadyUp23 View Post
    Anybody else put in? I know today was the deadline. Never have tested with a department in ohio before. I've seen on here that a list is already in place? Are guys still being pulled off of it? If so then why are they giving this exam? Anybody know how long to expect before a class is even pulled off of it? Thanks
    I applied as well. are you living in ohio or out of state?

Forum Member

jeffro, thank you for the information and best of luck to you hope u make it.

Zack, i will be coming from out of state to test.

Forum Member

Cool. Good luck. You have plans on flying, rental car, hotel, and such?

Im coming from NYC. Plan to rent a car and get a hotel for a couple nights and do a little sightseeing after the test as I have never been to Columbus. I hope they announce a date soon so I have time to book a car and hotel.

Forum Member

Wow! From NYC and you want to do some sightseeing here?! lol

In all seriousness, there's not much to see here. I've never thought Ohio, at least Columbus to be a travel destination, though, we have a lot of interesting places throughout the state.

If you have a list of things you want to see, PM me and I can maybe give you some information on them. At least, maybe help you prioritize which you should see in what order. At least with out residency requirement, I think you'll find that the cost of living is MUCH cheaper here.

Good luck on your written exam. I hope your process isn't as long as mine was; I think mine was a bit of an anomaly though.

Forum Member

I'll probably make the trip over from Milwaukee, WI.

After driving down for the Dallas test - this should be a cake walk!

Forum Member

I hope they announce the date soon, as I am coming in from out of town as well. (Dallas).
    Grew up in Ohio, and would love a reason to move back.
    Huge Buckeye fan as well..so going to take in the sights of OSU while I am there as well.

Forum Member

I could be totally wrong but they may have multiple test dates to accommodate everyone, that's prob what the hold up is.

I'm in on this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter88 View Post
    I hope they announce the date soon, as I am coming in from out of town as well. (Dallas).
    Grew up in Ohio, and would love a reason to move back.
    Huge Buckeye fan as well..so going to take in the sights of OSU while I am there as well.
    Hey Scooter, my mom, sister and (at the time, but no longer) stepfather moved to Plano when MA Bell was broken up and he went to work for Ross Perot. I stayed here to go to Ohio State, but my mom and sister still live down there. McKinney for my mom and The Colony for my sister.

I actually got the call and made the cut! I haven't received my letter yet, but I am pretty sure that I'll be in the class this June. The date has changed a couple of times, so I do not know for sure. I just can't believe I've finally made it. What a long trip it has been.

Good luck with your testing and hope you do well.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrobombero View Post
    Hey Scooter, my mom, sister and (at the time, but no longer) stepfather moved to Plano when MA Bell was broken up and he went to work for Ross Perot. I stayed here to go to Ohio State, but my mom and sister still live down there. McKinney for my mom and The Colony for my sister.

I actually got the call and made the cut! I haven't received my letter yet, but I am pretty sure that I'll be in the class this June. The date has changed a couple of times, so I do not know for sure. I just can't believe I've finally made it. What a long trip it has been.

Good luck with your testing and hope you do well.
    Thats awesome! Congrats man.
    I can only wish I can be in your boat in the future!
    Put in a good word for me!!

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrobombero View Post
    Wow! From NYC and you want to do some sightseeing here?! lol

In all seriousness, there's not much to see here. I've never thought Ohio, at least Columbus to be a travel destination, though, we have a lot of interesting places throughout the state.

If you have a list of things you want to see, PM me and I can maybe give you some information on them. At least, maybe help you prioritize which you should see in what order. At least with out residency requirement, I think you'll find that the cost of living is MUCH cheaper here.

Good luck on your written exam. I hope your process isn't as long as mine was; I think mine was a bit of an anomaly though.
    Ha, well by sightseeing I mean just checking out the city as I have never been. I don't have anything in particular I want to see, but if there is something I should check out, by all means let me know and I'll try to see it. That goes for any place with a good sandwich or slice and a good beverage also! If I do get on the job it would be nice to know where a decent slice of pizza is. I was looking at real estate costs and taxes and its definitely wayyyy cheaper then the NYC metro but so is 95% of the country.

Thanks and good luck to you in the academy.

Forum Member

Thanks Scooter. I'll do that. Hopefully you won't have the 5 year process that I has, but I'm glad they kept the list alive for me.

As for good pizza or a sammich D4- coming from NYC, you might be disappointed. I am not that familiar with the area where the testing is (at least, if it is where the old academy and admin buildings are). Downtown Cols. has a fair share of noteworthy places, and if you will be testing at the Convention Center, there are some decent shops in that area.

When you get your dates and places, PM me and I'll send you some suggestions.

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats Jeff! What band were you in and what was your number in the band?

Forum Member

I was in the 80 band and either 84 or 86. In a normal cycle without all the extensions of the list like I happened to have, I do not know if that would be good enough to get the call.There were only 200-250 in the 90 band if I recall correctly. Maybe not even that much. It was a long time ago.

bw3
    Forum Member

Is anyone attending the Don McNea Seminar for the written exam?

Has anyone received an email for testing? I just checked my application status on the website. I have a test time for FOAM and the PCT. Am i reading this right? Have they given the FOAM AND PCT before the written in the past? I haven't received any email to my knowledge. I'm hoping it didn't get sent to my junk mail. Also did anybody receive an email for the Information sessions? I'm an out of state candidate if that makes a difference.

MembersZone Subscriber

I just checked and I am scheduled for the foam and pct as well, I have yet to receive an email.

Thread Information