Thread: gear?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nr9306 View Post
    Forgive me for being a little defensive but you have struck a nerve. The junior program did not produce my attitude, YOU DID.
    He might have an attitude but you have an enormous chip on your shoulder. You need to learn when to close your pie hole when the time is right, and right now is the time. Just let it go, he said his piece and you said yours. Use this as a learning experience. Remember the number one most important rule for a Junior: Close Mouth. Open Ears. When we want to know your opinion, we will give it to you.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    He might have an attitude but you have an enormous chip on your shoulder. You need to learn when to close your pie hole when the time is right, and right now is the time. Just let it go, he said his piece and you said yours. Use this as a learning experience. Remember the number one most important rule for a Junior: Close Mouth. Open Ears. When we want to know your opinion, we will give it to you.
    Sorry I lost my cool, I just get defensive when someone says juniors/explorers are worthless and should not go near anything fire-related except a book. That is all that I have to say.

Forum Member

....wow this got really out of hand....

....Back on topic....

We issue our Jr members full gear (coat, pants, boots, Metro 660 helmet (red), hood, structure gloves, utility gloves, safety glasses, and MSA mask (after fit testing)(the older gear that we have in storage), and a uniform t-shirt. If needed (funeral, parade, etc.) we LOAN them a dress shirt with badges etc, but it must be returned after the event.

Now that being said, we don't issue radios/pagers of any kind until they become firefighters, we also strongly recommend to them that they not buy any of the extra goodies for their gear etc (although if they feel they must they can).

Also before ANY gear is issued to any new members (Jr and any other new member) (except the station t-shirt) the following must be met:
    --Must take and pass 4 core classes (CPR, Infection Control, CISM, and
    Haz-Mat Awareness)
    --After passing the 4 core classes the Jr member is then sent for Physical

Once they are medically cleared and have passed the 4 core classes they receive their gear. And once they complete the "Red Hat Training Manual" and pass a test with the Training Officer they are aloud to ride if space permits and are aloud to assist the driver on the fire scene. (The riding status of any Red Hat can be pulled at any time by Line Officers / Engine Officers / Training Officers)

Forum Member

I live in NJ they dont let you join the dept. before the age of 18.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
    OK,

I find the fact that ANY Juniors/Explorers or whatever you all are...get issued ANYTHING AT ALL absolutely incredible!......

Bottom line..YOU all are little teenyboppers.NOT FIREFIGHTERS!..when YOU are 18 AND pass the testing/get hired on..then you can be issued with equipment.

There is NO reason for having anyone under 18 having gear at all...you shouldn;t be riding apparatus, NOT being at ANY emergency scene period..certainly NOT responding to "calls" at any time, let alone by hearing it on a Department pager or 2 way radio..(again it;s rediculous to allow a minor access to controlled frequency FD radios)...

This has gotten WAY out of hand. The original idea behind "junior's" was to be able to teach them first Aid, teach them the basics ( BOOKlearning) of Firefighting and allow for SOME hands on experience in CONTROLLED TRAINING SITUATIONS. Not to have a bunch of "super dupper "trained" Junior's running around a fire scene...God forbid someone gets hurt or killed by this idiotic "experience".

You know, in Ontario Canada they actually banned even the COLLEGE Pre Fire Service Co-Op placements...and those are FULL TIME, FULLY QUALIFIED College Students!.

So "kiddies"...save your money, your a wannabe, you all don;t need any N5A Helmets, hell you don;t even need gear..

So really maybe just keep it quiet..cause the FD's are full of people that are ****ed about getting Full Time FF positions cut and general understaffing...SO, how do you think they will feel if a bunch of kids are essentially "taking their jobs"?

You know, I;m sorry, but I;ve seen COUNTLESS posts about this kind of BS by a bunch of whiney kids, complaining about "not being ALLOWED" to do what THEY want, that THEIR GEAR isn;t as good as a REAL FF's..enough is enough.

A Career Fire Officer..and one that has seen enough of these kids crap..

I totally dissagree with this guy. Junior's should be issued turnout gear. It doesnt have to be nice gear but good enough to do the job. Get your explorers into a fundamentals class and get them graduated from that, and they can help ya out on a call, filling cylinders, grabbing ya tools, and other. I was issued nice turn out gear and a pager. I'm still an explorer but i'm certified and all the way up to Firefighter 1. So I do work on a call as an explorer and I know just as much as any "firefight" who is 18 on my departments.

Forum Member

Coat, pants, hood, gloves, helmet, safety vest, wildland jumpsuit, wildland helmet with neck shroud, leather gloves, pager, and other miscellaneous items.(Note: nearly all the stuff I have recieved is second-hand so it really doesn't cost my department to get me gear)

Stay safe
    Last edited by JakeT59; 07-27-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Forum Member

boots, pants, coat, hood, gloves (no mask until 16). orange morning pride Ben II's on the helmet. (a few people get carins 660C's)

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights FF View Post
    OK,

I find the fact that ANY Juniors/Explorers or whatever you all are...get issued ANYTHING AT ALL absolutely incredible!......

Bottom line..YOU all are little teenyboppers.NOT FIREFIGHTERS!..when YOU are 18 AND pass the testing/get hired on..then you can be issued with equipment.

There is NO reason for having anyone under 18 having gear at all...you shouldn;t be riding apparatus, NOT being at ANY emergency scene period..certainly NOT responding to "calls" at any time, let alone by hearing it on a Department pager or 2 way radio..(again it;s rediculous to allow a minor access to controlled frequency FD radios)...

This has gotten WAY out of hand. The original idea behind "junior's" was to be able to teach them first Aid, teach them the basics ( BOOKlearning) of Firefighting and allow for SOME hands on experience in CONTROLLED TRAINING SITUATIONS. Not to have a bunch of "super dupper "trained" Junior's running around a fire scene...God forbid someone gets hurt or killed by this idiotic "experience".

You know, in Ontario Canada they actually banned even the COLLEGE Pre Fire Service Co-Op placements...and those are FULL TIME, FULLY QUALIFIED College Students!.

So "kiddies"...save your money, your a wannabe, you all don;t need any N5A Helmets, hell you don;t even need gear..

So really maybe just keep it quiet..cause the FD's are full of people that are ****ed about getting Full Time FF positions cut and general understaffing...SO, how do you think they will feel if a bunch of kids are essentially "taking their jobs"?

You know, I;m sorry, but I;ve seen COUNTLESS posts about this kind of BS by a bunch of whiney kids, complaining about "not being ALLOWED" to do what THEY want, that THEIR GEAR isn;t as good as a REAL FF's..enough is enough.

A Career Fire Officer..and one that has seen enough of these kids crap..
    I tell ya, It is because of ****** Bags like you that I have stayed away from this forum for a while. As far as I am concerned, I think that these are wonderful departments that issue their Juniors gear,pagers,etc... At least if you make these kids feel a part of the department you are keeping them out of other things. Maybe someday you will understand the importance of a Junior if you are on scene somewhere and something happens to you and one of these "worthless teenyboppers" might be the only one who comes to your rescue. Chew on that one.... We have *******s like you in our department too, they are usually the old fat guys that can't even fit in bunker gear anymore let alone fight a fire.....

Forum Member

We are issued a second hand set of gear (coat, helmet, bunker pants, boots, rescue gloves, safety glasses,). We are also issued an alpha pager, new fire gloves, and a class B work uniform.
    Kyle - FireSquad911

Forum Member

Our Explorer Program issues Full Bunker gear minus a mask. Aside from our 360s Helmets and Fuel for our 3 training Engines and 1 Truck, there is no cost to the department, and helmets get reused after someone leaves. While intense, Station1FFs response was exceptional. I don't know why there is a problem with explorers, every explorer I have had--I was the Explorer leader in my post--has been excellent. 4 of my explorers went to a House fire, at this fire, they didn't take a FF's job, they just made it so that trained paid FF's could do the harder parts of the job. I agree when someone said learn to shut up. I personally learn best by being taught, drilling, then seeing it in action. All with my mouth shut eyes and ears open.

Forum Member

As far as what we issue to our Junior members, helmet, bunkers, gloves and boots. If we have extra they will receive a pager generally one of the older ones as we try to get the membership that has been around longer to get the new pagers so well exchange them out and give our Juniors the old ones and our older membership a new pager. But thats besides the point.

Forum Member

Full bunker gear, A blue helmet and a pager 6 months after acceptance.

Thread Information