Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default Requirements to ride

Checking to see who has requirements to me bet BEFORE a new member is permitted to ride apparatus to calls.

I made up a list of tasks that was met with much resistance, because "new people wouldn't be able to ride for a few months".

Thanks.
    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post
    Checking to see who has requirements to me bet BEFORE a new member is permitted to ride apparatus to calls.

I made up a list of tasks that was met with much resistance, because "new people wouldn't be able to ride for a few months".

Thanks.
    For us in Indiana - its easy. Indiana has a mandatory certification which is a subset of FF1 written into Indiana Code (655 IAC 1-3-X - 655 IAC 1-3-6 covers this). To be hired into a role as a Firefighter or to join as a member of a volunteer department, you must complete this class first.

In other words - its a non-issue in Indiana. We can't legally have untrained people responding as Firefighters.

55 Years & Still Rolling hwoods's Avatar
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Question Question??........

Quote Originally Posted by The nots so new FNG View Post
    For us in Indiana - its easy. Indiana has a mandatory certification which is a subset of FF1 written into Indiana Code (655 IAC 1-3-X - 655 IAC 1-3-6 covers this). To be hired into a role as a Firefighter or to join as a member of a volunteer department, you must complete this class first.

In other words - its a non-issue in Indiana. We can't legally have untrained people responding as Firefighters.

Sounds like a very good idea, but is there a provision for folks coming from elsewhere with verifiable Training??.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Sounds like a very good idea, but is there a provision for folks coming from elsewhere with verifiable Training??.....
    Yep - they can petition the board for reciprocity. Depending on the level, it is either granted or granted with a reciprocity test (instructor level certs). Given the timeline for board meetings, most instructors recommend just doing the mandatory class and taking the test as its quicker most of the time to get you 'in the system'. If you really are expierenced, you can get through the mandatory class in a month or so.

Once you have the mandatory, it does not make a lot of difference if your FF1-2 takes 2 weeks or 20 weeks to process.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by JTFIRE80 View Post

Thanks.
    In order to ride as a full FF, a member must have completed FF1, CPR, our in-house training package (very similar to FF1) and shown that they know where everything is on the apparatus. We also allow probies to ride as observers if space permits. In order to ride as an observer, you must demonstrate that you know were everything is on the apparatus and have your CPR training. We also require everybody to get cut loose on the ambulance, at least as an aid before moving to the fire apparatus.

In PWC all the volunteer stations have their own requirements, the requirements at my station are: must complete a county infection control class, CPR, haz-mat awareness, a county CISM class and complete our in-house red-hat training book. (red-hat=jr/probie/non-ff1) and then you are aloud to ride the engine as a NON idlh member, then to actually enter idlh areas you must take ff1

I wasn't allowed to ride for months either, only way I got on was if a seat was open.

Forum Member

In my department you are put on probation until you recieve your FF1 cert. however this does not mean that probies can not ride the apparatus, they are allowed to if there is a seat available but are limited to what they can do. On a second note a buddy of mine who lives in southern PA and is in a department there have a different system. I don't know the exact process, but from what i picked up when I was visiting was that before you can ride an apparatus you have to have FF1 and pass a test to show that you know where everything is located on the truck and similar to the ambulance but instead of FF1 you need your EMT

MembersZone Subscriber voyager9's Avatar

We allow non-FF1 members to ride, though obviously once we get on scene they're exterior-only. Before they can ride they have to demonstrate that they know where (and what) everything is on the truck and know what they're expected to do, and more importantly NOT do, on scene. This is usually done by one of the station captains or one of the other duty crew officers.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Usually ranges from department to department. My old department required at LEAST essentials of firefighting and HAZMAT awareness to ride unless there was an open seat. My current department requires essentials of firefighting, HAZMAT awareness, and CPR/AED and first aid. I've seen departments ask for no training to ride and I've seen departments ask for a list of certs before you can even step foot on the truck, open seat or not.

Thread Information