MembersZone Subscriber

Default Paid Volunteer Chiefs?

I am trying to research if there are any volunteer chiefs that may be getting paid from the city. Also any input on volunteer members that are getting some pay for their time. I would appreciate all input, but am really interesting if anyone on the forum is from the mid west States such as Iowa, Wisconsin, Ne. etc.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post
    I am trying to research if there are any volunteer chiefs that may be getting paid from the city. Also any input on volunteer members that are getting some pay for their time. I would appreciate all input, but am really interesting if anyone on the forum is from the mid west States such as Iowa, Wisconsin, Ne. etc.

Stay Safe
    I know of several volunteer departments where the Chiefs, and in some cases all the Chief officers, and in some cases, Captains and LTs receive a stipend.

I also know of many departments where the firefighters receive stipends as well. it's not all that uncommon.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

At my "vollie house" we are paid per call. But its a combination department so some of our firefighters and our chiefs are paid.

There are a few departments around here that are paid on call fire departments with full time chiefs.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member
    Rural Wisconsin, Retired from the burbs of Milwaukee

I am a member of 2 volunteer FDs. One pays $12 per call and the other pays $10 an hour. Both departments pay the Chiefs, not even close to a full time salary but something to attempt to compensate them for the time they put in.

Most so called volly FDs in my area are really POC FDs if you wanted to nit pick.
    Crazy, but that's how it goes
    Millions of people living as foes
    Maybe it's not too late
    To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Forum Member

I always thought if you are going to have one paid officer on a volunteer FD it should be the asst. chief. Unless you have a really savvy mayor or board, who will actually track his work accomplishments? The Chief can set long range plans and basically set up the month to month priorities for the asst, chief.
    ?

Forum Member

Stay Safe
    Are you talking about a volunteer dept that has a FT chief? or are you talking about a chief of a volunteer dept who gets a stipend, but isn't operating in a full time capacity?

I am from WI as well and where I interned it was a volunteer (paid on call actually) dept. The chief is a fulltime position and works a 40 (ish) hour week.
    The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Let's talk fire trucks!

In my volunteer county, we have a FT chief who's a county employee, and he oversees the day-to-day operations, funding, and coordination of the five volunteer fire departments and one combination EMS agency in the county.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

Our chiefs can put in for mileage, but that's about it.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

I am paid only by the great love and adoration that is showered upon me by my firefighters, and patrons.

What is really amazing is I was able to type that with a straight face.

MembersZone Subscriber

LVFD you get that much. Here it doesn't pay that well. Or any. Don't seem to say volunteer when you get paid.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And...........

I'll try real hard to keep a straight face............

Here, I'm a Volunteer. Period. The County has some Full Time Firefighters, and the Rank Structure to go with it, including a Chief. Volunteer Organizations, such as mine are just that, Volunteer. I saw that Scary Word "City" mentioned....... Here, Cities, Towns, whatever, have no influence over Public Safety, all Government interaction is at the County level. This keeps petty small town politicians from interfering with our operations. Volunteer Fire Departments are chartered by the State, and are Private, Non-profit Corporations (usually IRS 501c3). As a Corporation, we can buy and own our Buildings and Apparatus, conduct Fund Raising, select our Officers, etc. Sure is a lot easier than having to put up with small town politics.........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

Stay Safe
    What exactly would you like to know? My dept is set up like that with paid chief and officers. We also are paid every quarter. There are 3 other depts around here that I know of that are vol but have some paid staff on them.

PM me if you would like more details about our dept.

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxX-QOV9tI

I ain't in it for the money

Forum Member

If they're getting paid. Wouldn't that no longer make them volunteers?
    Politics is like driving. To go forward select "D", to go backward select "R."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    Depends on if you use the department of labor criteria.

The US Department of Labor allows volunteers to be paid up to 20% of the prevailing wage in the region for the same task. So in others words, if a Fire Chief, or firefighter for that matter recieved a stipend of less than 20% of what it would cost to employ a Chief, or a firefighter, based on the prevailing wage in the area (or region if no paid departments exist in the immediatte area), they are still considered by the DOL as volunteers. If that wage or compensation exceeds the "20% rule", they woukld be considered employees.

This 20% rule does not include out of pocket expenses such as uniforms, fuel, etc.

Also a volunteer compenation cannot be tied to productivity, or in other words, hours worked, or else they will be considered employees by the DOL.

Our Chief is a volunteer, but he recieves a small monthly stipend. it's the same with our Asst. Chief.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by scfire86 View Post
    It's the form of the operation, rather than the recompense, that I feel is the dividing line between paid and volunteer.

I'd suggest that the terms should be "staffed" and "volunteer," except in some areas of the country, like Harve's, many of the stations are routinely staffed by unpaid personnel.

In other areas, there's no staffing at the station, but the FF's are paid-on-call, part-time employees.

A city near here routinely pages in off-duty personnel when they have a working fire - rather like a volunteer FD operates, but the FF's are paid OT if they report in.

And in a large part of the country, there's no staffing, and the FF's get no direct compensation whatsoever (unless you consider comp as direct compensation).

So it's really gray - and no wonder we can't agree on a definition.

But back to that form thing - any fire department where reporting for duty when the alarm is sounded is totally optional is essentially a volunteer operation.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by jccrabby3084 View Post
    Are you talking about a volunteer dept that has a FT chief? or are you talking about a chief of a volunteer dept who gets a stipend, but isn't operating in a full time capacity?

I am from WI as well and where I interned it was a volunteer (paid on call actually) dept. The chief is a fulltime position and works a 40 (ish) hour week.
    Talking about an all volunteer dept. where the chief may get a stipend for the time he puts in to keep things running.

Forum Member

Talking about an all volunteer dept. where the chief may get a stipend for the time he puts in to keep things running.
    Then he would not be considered paid. It would till be considered an all-volunteer department.

For the purposes of the Department of Labor however, he would be considered paid and an employee if the stipend exceeded 20% of the accepted wage in the area for his position. In this case, it would be considered a combination department with a paid Chief.

That would also be the case in Crabby's former situation.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
    I always thought if you are going to have one paid officer on a volunteer FD it should be the asst. chief. Unless you have a really savvy mayor or board, who will actually track his work accomplishments? The Chief can set long range plans and basically set up the month to month priorities for the asst, chief.
    Shhhhh! My Boss MAY read this! T.C.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LVFD301 View Post
    I am paid only by the great love and adoration that is showered upon me by my firefighters, and patrons.

What is really amazing is I was able to type that with a straight face.
    Glad you could, My screen is a mess now;Thanks! T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

You might consider adding email option to your profile if you want additional info.

Thread Information