MembersZone Subscriber

Default Any paid Volunteer Chiefs?

Just curious if any Chiefs of all volunteer dept. are being paid by the city. Also are any members of an all volunteer dept. being paid for the calls that they make each year. I am especially interested in any departments from Iowa and the mid west states.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post
    Just curious if any Chiefs of all volunteer dept. are being paid by the city. Also are any members of an all volunteer dept. being paid for the calls that they make each year. I am especially interested in any departments from Iowa and the mid west states.

Stay Safe
    Volunteers, under IRS code cannot be paid, but can be reimbursed at a reasonable rate for expenses and time.

They will look at what the volunteer member receives v. the comparable rate for a full-time position of equal status and determine if that rate is reasonable.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Not here. Our department is technically 100% volunteer, including all civil and line officers. And we do not get any monetary compensation. We do get all of our training, gear and uniforms paid for of course.

Now, I say technically because the district does employ two full time Station Managers (one for each station), a District Administrator, and a few part time Station Managers. Some of these employees are also firefighters with the department but not all. None are required to go on calls while on the clock.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

If I was paid in any way, I guess I wouldnt be a "Volunteer Chief" would I?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by NakedTillerman25 View Post
    If I was paid in any way, I guess I wouldnt be a "Volunteer Chief" would I?
    There's form, then there's function.

A paid-on-call firefighter isn't a 'volunteer' in the strictest sense of the term. In fact, many are considered part-time employees of their municipality. No argument there. A chief may get additional compensation by virtue of his expanded responsibilities.

But, in operation they function exactly the same as a purely volunteer fire department - most have full-time jobs outside the fire service. In the event of a fire, etc, they are alerted and if available, they respond.

There's the rub.

Forum Member

I'm pretty sure volunteers cant be paid.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by neobuxhack View Post
    I'm pretty sure volunteers can't be paid.
    As has been pointed out elsewhere (in other threads), volunteers can receive certain forms/amounts of compensation, per the IRS.

If you get right down to it, the workers comp coverage I receive while volunteering with the FD is a form of compensation.

And there is that form vs function thing I discussed above.

Forum Member

There are a few POC departments up this way that have full time chiefs making 50-75k a year.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Post Huh??..........

Quote Originally Posted by JSMV72 View Post

Stay Safe
    City?..... What City??...... Cities and Towns have nothing to do with Fire Protection here....... (Thank God.....)

We do not get paid, as such. BUT, anyone who gets Twenty Five Years of Active Service, AND reaches age 55, then is intitled to a Payment of $250.00 per month for the rest of their life........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    City?..... What City??...... Cities and Towns have nothing to do with Fire Protection here....... (Thank God.....)

We do not get paid, as such. BUT, anyone who gets Twenty Five Years of Active Service, AND reaches age 55, then is intitled to a Payment of $250.00 per month for the rest of their life........
    N.C. Vollie retirement is 20 years of service and 55. I think the monthly payout is up to $167.33! By the time I get to "retire" the payout just might buy me a gallon or two of gas. But hey its better than nothing.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Default Chiefs pay

Up here in North Idaho we have about 12 Fire Districts in our County. Each has a Chief and they are paid to the best of my knowledge. There are some Districts where the only one paid is the Chief and or Assistant Chiefs.....Technically for us up here we are a Paid/ Volunteer Fire District with our Volunteers get paid. Before you start to correct me on that I guess we need to change it to a Paid /Call Fire District...
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by neobuxhack View Post
    I'm pretty sure volunteers cant be paid.
    Fair labor standards uses the 20% rule to determine if a member is paid or violunteer.

Basically if they are compensated at less than 20% of what the department would pay a full-time member, they are considered volunteer, not counting reimbursement payments for fuel and other expenses.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by JayDudley View Post
    Up here in North Idaho we have about 12 Fire Districts in our County. Each has a Chief and they are paid to the best of my knowledge. There are some Districts where the only one paid is the Chief and or Assistant Chiefs.....Technically for us up here we are a Paid/ Volunteer Fire District with our Volunteers get paid. Before you start to correct me on that I guess we need to change it to a Paid /Call Fire District...
    We have 3 small rural departments with a full-time Chief to our north. The rest are volunteer. They are classified as a combo department though 95% volunteer due to that one paid position.

Webster Parish, where my VFD is located also has 3 or 4 departments with one paid member. In a couple of cases, it's the Chief. In another couple of cases, it's a Captain or Asst. Chief. Again, even though the rest of the mebership is volunteer, that one paid position makes them a combo department by defination.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 06-07-2011 at 04:13 PM.

Forum Member

We are paid by call with a full time chief.

Forum Member

There are some departments around the Philly area, if I recall correctly, that have paid officers for the township or county, who respond with volunteer or combination paid/volly departments

Forum Member

We have one guy in our VFD that is paid and he is a Captain. He is probably the best guy and most experienced guy in out dept. He needs to be chief.

TyD
    Forum Member

we have a division chief that is paid, Also I am just getting started but at a few stations they are paid for working day shifts. we work shifts and only on the weekends. 12 hr shifts. we also have vollie chiefs at each individual station. then we also have a paid guy (Lt.) at each station.. we are a pretty large dept. with more career guys and stations than vollies.

Forum Member

it is a good question, because of the extensive regulations coming down the pipe to the individual departments, they almost have to have a compensated member of some sort to even just be aware of the daily updates.

The increased loads being put on volunteer departments can also have an adverse affect on member retention and recruitment.

Forum Member

My Department has a Full time Chief/Director and the rest are all volunteer's.
    He is reponsible for 3 main stations and 4 satalite stations(sheds with one truck in it) which cover about 1400 square miles! We have around 90 volunteers, none are ever on duty just on call 24/7 using a pager system!
    I think our chief/director makes around $60,000 per year plus benifits!

Thread Information