Forum Member

Cool blind in one eye

Hello everyone, My name is chris and im currently a firefighter in middlesex county nj for about 8 yrs now im am trying to go paid to have the all american dream of becoming a career firefighter now im blind in my left eye "0" visibility and im looking to become a federal firefighter im looking for some advice on it I should even bother ontrying or now according to the physical I would have to pass now my question is, is the physical that I had to take the same as there's? The 20/20 part I have been bind from birth and don't even separate. Me from the average joe I can drive trucks cars anything that moves not a problem I wanna hear what some of you guys think about my issue maybe give me some helpful answers thanks also is the physical a nfpa physical?

Forum Member

First trying to go federal will be a problem unless you can find a trainee position or enlist in the service with firefighter slot

Second

Do a search there have been some other questions on sight

Forum Member

From a former Federal FF for 10 years- I don't think you would be able to pass the vision screening part of the physical, however stranger things have happened. There is a Captain at Aberdeen Proving Ground who had a leg removed below the knee due to diabetes, but returned to full duty with a prosthetic. I wish I could give you the name and number of someone to call to check into the vision thing, but I don't know anyone who could answer the question. You should pose the question in the forums at www.dodfire.com

I will also say this, NJ is not a good place to be trying to get a Federal FF position right now, with the closing of Ft Monmouth and Willow Grove (Pa.) there are a TON of guys (all on the stopper list) trying to get postions elsewhere. Also, ever since Dix/Mcguire/Lakehurst all merged, I understand there are many unhappy folks and are looking for other positions elsewhere. So unless you are willing to relocate, I wouldnt hold my breath on getting a job in Jersey (or even Pa, Md, De, or NY,)
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Forum Member

Smile

Thanks for the info I will also post in dod but I heard a few weird stories. About guys with out arms and legs but alls I can do is give it a shot my brother inlaw is a federal. Firefighter and a few guys I volunteer with but there all stumped so ill try there and see what happens but thanks for everything and stay safe

Forum Member

You need to go to the medical section in the link that 49 posted above- it specifically states you must have correctable vision in both eyes.

Never heard a story of a Federal FF with one arm. I think it's exactly that- a story.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information