Thread: Exhaust Filters

  1. #1
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    15

    Default Exhaust Filters

    I hated to see the big wrecker hook up to our new pumper and haul it away. Shop says it's the exhaust filter. I am seeing this problem way too much around here. Is this problem widespread? What can we do?

  2. #2
    Forum Member
    EngineCO38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Windham County, Vermont
    Posts
    195

    Default

    Let me guess, it's got a Cummins right?
    Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

  3. #3
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by treeguy View Post
    What can we do?
    1: Pay attention to the "idiot" lights on the dash if it's a 2010 emissions engine.

    2: Probably nothing.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  4. #4
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    1: Pay attention to the "idiot" lights on the dash if it's a 2010 emissions engine.

    2: Probably nothing.

    FM1
    Is this a case where taking it out on a highway (like an interstate) and putting the hammer down for 30 miles (to activate the regen) would be a good thing??????
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  5. #5
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    28

    Default

    Vote Republican

  6. #6
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    I talked to IH emissions compliance engineer at FDIC now tasked to marketing about emission (bright guy). Said would be no problem for them to provide 2007 (or earlier) engines in commercial chassis or to custom builders (this question has come up before "change engines on assembly line for Fire use"). That they are already building none enviorwacko EPA engines for marine and export.

    So all it would take to cut $10k or more out of the price of that new 1000mi/year fire truck is sticking one paragraph in an appropriate billl. IE throw out the DPF, Urea, etc.

  7. #7
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    EXCEPT that Federally, apparatus is NOT exempt and no one is going to build it with a non compliant powerplant. Don't get me wrong,I'd go back in a heartbeat. It JUST isn't gonna happen. T.C.

  8. #8
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Is this a case where taking it out on a highway (like an interstate) and putting the hammer down for 30 miles (to activate the regen) would be a good thing??????
    Either that, or take it OOS and do a regen on the apron for 30-40 minutes.

    I know it doesn't look or sound good, but I'd rather see this happen compared to doing a 10 minute regen on the apron, get tones, have to stop the regen, and then make the run. Then return to the station and do it again. Then to have tones drop again, and repeat.

    If you're going to do a regen on the apron, do it like you would with sex. Until it's done.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  9. #9
    Forum Member
    FWDbuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Pee-Ayy!
    Posts
    7,413

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
    If you're going to do a regen on the apron, do it like you would with sex. Until it's done. FM1
    Thats what taking apparatus out of service and sending the next due on the box card is for.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

  10. #10
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    So of Can. / N. of Mexico
    Posts
    869

    Talking

    Quote Originally Posted by Pa6050 View Post
    Vote Republican
    Makes sense to me! If 20 years ago someone had told me we would have to be putting cow p#ss in our trucks to meet emission std's I would have said they were smoking the dill weed!

  11. #11
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by donethat View Post
    Makes sense to me! If 20 years ago someone had told me we would have to be putting cow p#ss in our trucks to meet emission std's I would have said they were smoking the dill weed!
    Nah. You'd have been stockpiling Cow pizz. T.C.

  12. #12
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2001
    Location
    Greensboro, NC USA
    Posts
    1,312

    Default

    These emissions standards are killing us.

    A diesel produces a lot more soot when the engine isn't at operating temperature, and when you get real deep into the throttle, and as the nature of our business goes, out trucks get driven in both those conditions frequently, producing a lot more soot than a garbage truck or school bus.

    I know our handful of trucks with DPF's are drinking a lot more fuel than they would if they didn't have to regen every week.

    Sure we'd all like to have our trucks exempt from EPA regulations. If that were the case we might still be using 6V and 8V 92's.

    At a minimum, I wish the emissions requirements for firetrucks was running 5 years behind the regular OTR truck requirements. That way a lot more bugs could be worked out before it cause a truck to shut down at an emergency.
    Last edited by txgp17; 04-21-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    The American people will never knowingly adopt Socialism. But under the name of 'liberalism' they will adopt every fragment of the Socialist program, until one day America will be a Socialist nation, without knowing how it happened. --Norman Mattoon Thomas, 6 time presidential candidate for the Socialist Party of America

  13. #13
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Thats what taking apparatus out of service and sending the next due on the box card is for.
    No problem here with that. I just hate to see them OOS. But, reality is, I'd rather have them OOS, then have a problem with a shut down when it isn't convenient.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  14. #14
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wilmington, Vt.
    Posts
    62

    Question What's your fix?

    Treeguy,

    What was done to fix your problem? Did you have to remove and clean the filter? We have a new engine coming with this Cummins system on it and I'd like to know what happened and how you mitigated it.
    I agree with everyone above. Would have been nice to have fire equipment regulations 4-5 yrs. out from the release of new epa engine stuff so that the bugs can be worked out without the possiblity of leaving your crew in a building and your truck shut down.

  15. #15
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    West Tennessee
    Posts
    15

    Question Yep, it's a Cummins

    They towed it away Tuesday.They're telling me it should be ready for pickup this afternoon.

    1: Pay attention to the "idiot" lights on the dash if it's a 2010 emissions engine.

    The light never came on.

    They said the problem was in the exhaust filter's wiring harness. Probably due to sitting in the rain.(what!)
    I replied, this truck is always stored indoors, and he said, it probably sat outside before the chassis was installed.
    Are trucks not weather resistant anymore?

    Is this mainly a Cummins problem? I have always been a big fan of the Cummins powerplant, we're writing specs for another truck now.Shoud we steer clear of Cummins?

  16. #16
    Forum Member
    FIREMECH1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    HUSKER LAND
    Posts
    2,425

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by treeguy View Post
    Is this mainly a Cummins problem? I have always been a big fan of the Cummins powerplant, we're writing specs for another truck now.Shoud we steer clear of Cummins?
    I've lost count of how many rigs we've gotten in the last 2 years with the 2010 emissions, and 4 more coming.

    I'd say you shouldn't worry about it. Could have been anybody's issue. As to whom to blame could be anybody. Chassis builder when installing the drivetrain to the body builder letting it sit outside waiting to get it inside. It is a Cummins product, but they didn't install it.

    FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

    Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

  17. #17
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by treeguy View Post

    Is this mainly a Cummins problem? I have always been a big fan of the Cummins powerplant, we're writing specs for another truck now.Shoud we steer clear of Cummins?
    If you are getting a custom chassis that isn't a Pierce, Cummins is your only choice I believe. They somehow got exclusive use of the detroit(mercedes really) powerplants.
    If you can't fix it with a hammer, you have an electrical problem.

  18. #18
    Let's talk fire trucks!
    BoxAlarm187's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    3,328

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cutlass84 View Post
    If you are getting a custom chassis that isn't a Pierce, Cummins is your only choice I believe.
    The International MaxxForce is available in KME and FFA custom chassis.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer


    Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

  19. #19
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I believe most of the major manufacturers offer the Navistar option now. I think this will be changing to urea once their carbon credits run out.

    What about alternative power sources? HME showed off the CNG last year? Rosy has Greenstar, Spartan has the power unit that was @ FDIC. These seem like they could help the exhaust filter question. Other than CNG you are still using the main engine, but less it sounds like.

  20. #20
    Forum Member

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InIttowinit View Post
    I believe most of the major manufacturers offer the Navistar option now. I think this will be changing to urea once their carbon credits run out.

    What about alternative power sources? HME showed off the CNG last year? Rosy has Greenstar, Spartan has the power unit that was @ FDIC. These seem like they could help the exhaust filter question. Other than CNG you are still using the main engine, but less it sounds like.
    Oh yeah I forgot who posted it but somebody mentioned Pierce engines running off of bunny farts. Still makes me laugh.

  21. #21
    MembersZone Subscriber

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Rural Iowa
    Posts
    3,106

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by InIttowinit View Post
    I believe most of the major manufacturers offer the Navistar option now. I think this will be changing to urea once their carbon credits run out.

    What about alternative power sources? HME showed off the CNG last year? Rosy has Greenstar, Spartan has the power unit that was @ FDIC. These seem like they could help the exhaust filter question. Other than CNG you are still using the main engine, but less it sounds like.
    E-One also announced at FDIC will be using Maxforce in their customcabs.

    IH emissions guy I talked to at FDIC told me the stuff about them going to SCR (Urea) was total BS. They will be staying with EGR and can meet EPA current and announce emissions nonsense.

    Obviously mfg are not going to install and nonEPA engine in a chassis. Point is the congresscritters could easily exempt emergency service vehicles from post 2002 diesel emissions. AND the engine mfg would have no issues with providing engines accordingly. The $ WASTE for absolutely no gainful purpose in putting DPF and associtate junk on fire trucks is just epicly idiotic.

  22. #22
    Forum Member
    Rescue101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Bridgton,Me USA
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by treeguy View Post
    They towed it away Tuesday.They're telling me it should be ready for pickup this afternoon.

    1: Pay attention to the "idiot" lights on the dash if it's a 2010 emissions engine.

    The light never came on.

    They said the problem was in the exhaust filter's wiring harness. Probably due to sitting in the rain.(what!)
    I replied, this truck is always stored indoors, and he said, it probably sat outside before the chassis was installed.
    Are trucks not weather resistant anymore?

    Is this mainly a Cummins problem? I have always been a big fan of the Cummins powerplant, we're writing specs for another truck now.Shoud we steer clear of Cummins?
    SOME Cummins have the filters, SOME of the 11's(L) Don't. NO,it isn't just a Cummins problem. Thank your Dumbass Congressman for letting that last Epa ruling slide thru. T.C.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Question for Kurt and Brian re: Vehicle Exhaust
    By davepa in forum Federal FIRE ACT Grants & Funding
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 03-27-2010, 02:11 PM
  2. AIR COR DIESEL EXHAUST FILTERS
    By WRENCH in forum Apparatus Innovation
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2006, 06:32 PM
  3. exhaust
    By girlmedic in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 11:55 AM
  4. Exhaust removal systems
    By FyredUp in forum The Engineer
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-12-2003, 10:50 PM
  5. HELP! Exhaust system nightmare
    By Bigdawg in forum Firefighters Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-2002, 09:41 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Log in

Click here to log in or register