Forum Member

Default blind in one eye

Hello everyone, My name is chris and im currently a firefighter in middlesex county nj for about 8 yrs now im am trying to go paid to have the all american dream of becoming a career firefighter now im blind in my left eye "0" visibility and im looking to become a federal firefighter im looking for some advice on if I should even bother on trying or now according to the physical I would have to pass now my question is, is the physical that I had to take the same as there's? The 20/20 part I have been bind from birth and don't even separate. Me from the average joe I can drive trucks cars anything that moves not a problem I wanna hear what some of you guys think about my issue maybe give me some helpful answers thanks also is the physical a nfpa physical? My brother inlaw and a few guys I know are federal firefighter and are trying to go to personnel to ask a few questions I just need one shot that it just thinking positive

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbausch View Post
    Hello everyone, My name is chris and im currently a firefighter in middlesex county nj for about 8 yrs now im am trying to go paid to have the all american dream of becoming a career firefighter now im blind in my left eye "0" visibility and im looking to become a federal firefighter im looking for some advice on if I should even bother on trying or now according to the physical I would have to pass now my question is, is the physical that I had to take the same as there's? The 20/20 part I have been bind from birth and don't even separate. Me from the average joe I can drive trucks cars anything that moves not a problem I wanna hear what some of you guys think about my issue maybe give me some helpful answers thanks also is the physical a nfpa physical? My brother inlaw and a few guys I know are federal firefighter and are trying to go to personnel to ask a few questions I just need one shot that it just thinking positive
    Yes, it's an NFPA physical

Forum Member

I'm almost positive you would be disqualified based on vision. NFPA 1582 says "binocular vision at least 20/100 corrected to 20/40" Not exactly sure on the numbers but I know it's in there.

A dispatcher or 40 hour inspector is always a possibility. Best of luck to you.

Forum Member

Im a volunteer now and for about 8 yrs I did a nfpa physical with my last 2 dept's but I did get turned down for polic I way told that police and fire are way two different things I dunno but how can I can one and not the other its the same test I mean its not that I can't to the job I have never been restricted from anything but a cdl witch I wish I had one of those to but maybe I should talk to a disability lawyer just to see what they think or someone else im not trying to make waves I just want a chance

Let's talk fire trucks!

I have good friend who's been a career FF on large combination department for close to 15 years, and he was hired with vision in only one eye (the other eye was lost due to a traumatic injury). There are a lot of departments that give physicals, but don't necessarily follow NFPA 1582.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

If you check same post you made on another thread

There is a link with the answer you probably need

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by cbausch View Post
    Im a volunteer now and for about 8 yrs I did a nfpa physical with my last 2 dept's but I did get turned down for polic I way told that police and fire are way two different things I dunno but how can I can one and not the other its the same test I mean its not that I can't to the job I have never been restricted from anything but a cdl witch I wish I had one of those to but maybe I should talk to a disability lawyer just to see what they think or someone else im not trying to make waves I just want a chance
    that's the thing, the docs that sign off on your stuff when you do your physical do not want to take any responsibility but you may get lucky. call one of the staffers for a job you want to apply for and maybe they will be able to give you a better answer. best of luck to you

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by fire49 View Post
    If you check same post you made on another thread

There is a link with the answer you probably need
    What he said.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information