Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Globe G-excel..

Just got fitted at the house today for the new Globe G-Excel(?) I think its called. Felt lightweight, or at least much more so than my morning pride, but that shouldnt be too hard as i have one of those heavy bailout harnesses. So, I was just curious if anyone uses this gear? Likes, Dislikes.....things to watch for? thanks ahead of time.

trucked.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by truckedup133 View Post
    Just got fitted at the house today for the new Globe G-Excel(?) I think its called. Felt lightweight, or at least much more so than my morning pride, but that shouldnt be too hard as i have one of those heavy bailout harnesses. So, I was just curious if anyone uses this gear? Likes, Dislikes.....things to watch for? thanks ahead of time.

trucked.
    I've yet to be blessed (have other Globe gear as the moment) but we're replacing all of our gear over the next number of years with G-Excel. So far we have... about a dozen people who have G-Excel - and to a person they all love it. Find it much more comfortable and durable, and enjoy some of the little idiosyncratic features such as the lined pockets - all in all, it appears to be pretty decent gear.

It is wonderful gear.... I am very happy with it.

I have never really been that impressed with my Globe gear. It was measured and fit for me, but still fits loosely. It is still OK gear though.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

sorry double post

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    I have never really been that impressed with my Globe gear. It was measured and fit for me, but still fits loosely. It is still OK gear though.
    Literally just saw the Globe rep an hour ago and asked about the new Excel. He said they're not pushing it unless the complaint is that the G-Extreme or other is too loose? The Excel pants evidentially have take-up straps on the sides of the waist and an snap front, making them fit better for some. The coat sounds like a Globe version of the MP tails coat but evidentially is cut straight from the armpits to the waist with no taper which is good for some of us, bulky for others. But our guys have been fairly happy with the Globe G-Extreme we've been issuing in the last 4-5 years.

Quote Originally Posted by RFDACM02 View Post
    Literally just saw the Globe rep an hour ago and asked about the new Excel. He said they're not pushing it unless the complaint is that the G-Extreme or other is too loose? The Excel pants evidentially have take-up straps on the sides of the waist and an snap front, making them fit better for some. The coat sounds like a Globe version of the MP tails coat but evidentially is cut straight from the armpits to the waist with no taper which is good for some of us, bulky for others. But our guys have been fairly happy with the Globe G-Extreme we've been issuing in the last 4-5 years.
    When we asked for submissions for our trial we left it up to the manufacturers as to which style of gear to submit. Our stipulation was that we would judge heavily on ergonomics and general performance. Our intentions were to go with the best performer as long as their price was justifiable.

I found it interesting that knowing this, Globe decided to submit the G-excel and not the G-extreme. And in the end the G-excel won.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by IronsMan53 View Post

I found it interesting that knowing this, Globe decided to submit the G-excel and not the G-extreme. And in the end the G-excel won.
    To tell you the truth until this morning I'd never heard of G-Excel, and low and behold the Globe rep came in to drop off some gear and I got to ask him! I got the idea that G-Excel was a cheaper option than G-Extreme but with less customization? I suppose making it in a tails config, it meets some more specs that they didn't compete on previously?

Forum Member

So you would rather your gear be tight? I have seen you make this same statement in multiple threads and have never quite understood your point. I mean I guess everyone has their preference, but I like my gear to be loose, but obviously not baggy. It seems like you want your gear to fit like jeans and a tshirt.

Are you a smaller guy?

Guys thanks a ton for the comments. Looking forward to getting the gear. One of the guys on my ladder just got his in and he said his only complaint so far is the coat doesnt have the name tail...which I actually prefer. That might not be a excel thing, maybe our specs. But either way helpful info all around.

Guys thanks a ton for the comments. Looking forward to getting the gear. One of the guys on my ladder just got his in and he said his only complaint so far is the coat doesnt have the name tail...which I actually prefer. That might not be a excel thing, maybe our specs. But either way helpful info all around.
    Pretty sure "Mudflaps" are an available option across the line. T.C.

mudflaps that keep my butt cool. One time my back got a little too warm due to a split in my coat/pants,and that was once too many. I prefer the flaps. Now I am curious if you can buy them special and stitch them on.....hmmm..

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue601 View Post
    So you would rather your gear be tight? I have seen you make this same statement in multiple threads and have never quite understood your point. I mean I guess everyone has their preference, but I like my gear to be loose, but obviously not baggy. It seems like you want your gear to fit like jeans and a tshirt.

Are you a smaller guy?
    I am not a smaller guy (in my opinion anyway). I am 6'0 230.

My Globe gear feels like a baggy pair of paints. My Morning Pride feels like I am wearing another pair of pants that are fit for me. Same with the coat. Not to mention the huge collar on the Globe gets in the way.

My Innotex fit like another set of clothes. My Morning Pride fits like another set of clothes. My Globe fits like another set of clothes made 2 sizes to big. Probably just personal preference.

To whoever it was that mentioned they were getting the Globe version of a tailed coat, are you also getting low back pants? After wearing low backed pants I will never spec another set of gear with short coats and high back pants.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

To whoever it was that mentioned they were getting the Globe version of a tailed coat, are you also getting low back pants? After wearing low backed pants I will never spec another set of gear with short coats and high back pants.
    Yeah low back pants...why? What was the issue with the other?

Yeah low back pants...why? What was the issue with the other?
    Simply because of where they end up in relation to the SCBA waist strap, short coats will always ride up. This has never been an issue with my MP tails coat. Not to mention low back pants are so much more comfortable.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

MembersZone Subscriber

We've had the G-Excel for about two years and we have had no complaints. When the Rep came by for our first meeting he explained that it was the cheaper option to the G-Extreme, he came back with a couple of sets of each and it turned out we like the less expensive from the get go.
    The main difference is in the cut of the coat but you really can't tell even when standing next to a guy wearing G-Extreme. I love my pants I've actually stopped wearing my suspenders. My coat is a little loose but I had it cut larger so I can wear a sweatshirt in the winter. There is still plenty of options for customization.... just definatly do not mount the Mic tab on the collar. The Excel collars are short and it doesn't work out well.

Rhinestone encrusted mudflaps are available for an additional charge!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

The G-excel does actually have a "tail". It is just not noticable. It is tapered all the way from the side of the coat rather than a sharply-cut panel like other designs. I believe, according to our measurements the back of the coat is 3"-4" longer than the front.
    I can't believe they actually pay me to do this!!!

One friend noted yesterday that a fire officer only carries a flashlight, sometimes prompting grumbling from firefighters who have to lug tools and hoses.
    "The old saying is you never know how heavy that flashlight can become," the friend said.
    -from a tragic story posted on firefighterclosecalls.com

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    Or do it yourself with the Bedazzler! It's easy, it's fun, it's fabulous!!!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
    YOU need a LIFE! Hehe T.C.

Thread Information