Thread: Senior Project.

Forum Member

Question Senior Project.

My name is John Resino. I am a volunteer with a combination department in north Carolina. Well I am currently enrolled in school and I have to write a paper for my senior project and I have come to a point where I donít think I can write any more without help from some people that have been around for, well, longer then I have. So if you men and women could help me with some pointers and some other tidbits I would be most appreciative for any help. I will post what I do have at the bottom of the page so you can tell me wheat you think and give me some ideas. Thanks

and i know it sounds funky but my teacher has been helping me along the way in the way she sees fit to wright the paper.

Resino 1

John W. Resino

Mrs. Jerem

English III

3 March 2011

Fire Fighting

While volunteering at my fire department, I picked up on allot of tricks and
    trades. There is much to learn about fire fighting and to understand what it means and what it takes to be a fire fighter. I chose this topic because it is good for the public to know what is needed and required. I want to explain to people the job requirements, danger, and the technology used.
    The term fire fighter is exactly as it sounds: a person who fights a fire. But the history behind the name and the symbols are allot more historic. The history of organized fire fighters can be dated with the Roman Empire when people where stationed at wells and would walk the town looking for fire. They were not educated in how to fight a fire.
    Fire fighting is more than just a job or volunteer work it really is about serving and protecting the community. There is a vary big satisfaction in saving a house of a neighbor, a friend, and even a stranger. In todays society allot of fire departments are starting to do more. Many departments have got into the emergency medical field. whether by volunteering or from getting paid. There is that need in life for fire fighters to get certified in medical fields like basic first aid or even as far as becoming an EMT-Paramedic.
    The main thing fire fighters are trained for is to fight fire, and it is one of the biggest things that they have to learn how to do. It only comes from experience of how to conserve property because any new certified firefighter can go and throw 1000 cubic feet of water on a fire no larger then a couch. Because fire fighting is meant to save the property, then there would be almost no need to use so much of a resources if all you did was do more damage. That is why they go through a minimum number of classes, such as overhaul, which is about looking for the fire where ever it may be, in a wall or inside a couch. Once you find all the hot spots in a fire, then you can extinguish it with minimal effort and minimal resources.
    In the United States we have allot of standards that pertain to fire fighting. It is Called NFPA or National Fire Protection Association. It was started in 1896 for fire sprinklers and is now the minimum standard for all firefighters and equipment. The minimum standard for fighting fire is to earn a 1403. That is 10 classes that you must have before you are allowed to enter an burning building. The classes are designed to keep a fire fighter safe.
    From fighting a fire down to the bare math of steam conversions and simple physics, the classes go beyond that. Also included is the prevention of fires and how to identify signs of people needing help or chemicals inside the building.
    the tools that have been developed over time and are most useful to fire fighters are known as symbols. such as an axe or a Halogen bar, these symbols have become big signs for a fire fighter. Almost all of the symbols used are printed on shirts and badges to identify a fire fighter.
    The Maltese Cross came from the order of the Maltese Knights during the Crusades. These knights are men who survived flames in order to save there fellow brothers. And because of the significance fire fighters used the maltese cross as a identification tag. they have used it to set them selfs apart from the rest of the community. There are some tools and things that are used to identify a fire truck which would be known as an engine company or a ladder truck which is a ladder company. Then you get tools like an axe which is used to go through a door or a wall, Maybe even to knock down a light. there is also the Halogen Bar, 4 point tool. it has a fork used to pick things up there is the spike which is used to make a hole of some sort. the wedge is used for opening doors and wedging between objects in order to pry them open. the butt or Flat end is used for smashing or bashing an object open some thing open when u need a smooth Flat surface. these are all tools that are deployed and have been developed to be used on the fire ground. Even though most of the time there are specialized tools for fire fighters and there are allot of things that are utilized to do the same thing. a special plastic wedge used only one time in a fire might not be just as affective as a bag of nails or even a single nail placed in the door hinge or in the door.
    There are many devises being developed for the fire ground every day. From Monitors to detect different heats and technology used to watch where a fire fighter is and what his body is doing. Every day more is being invented and approved to be used. It makes the job in some ways easier to be used compared to ten or even twenty years ago. At least with the tools at hand idea of it.
    Believe it or not even though there are allot of great changes to firefighting along the lines of advancements in technology and tools. It will forever be an occupation that people will have to be further trained and skilled in so they donít die or get injured

Forum Member

The first thing you need to do is separate all that mess into paragraphs and then do a spell check.

The separation makes it a lot easier to read.

If you turned this into your English teacher today as it is, you'll get a C or a D.

I found several typos and wrong words being used.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by john resino
    While volunteering at my fire department, I picked up on allot of tricks and
    trades. There is much to learn about fire fighting and to understand what it means and what it takes to be a fire fighter. I chose this topic because it is good for the public to know what is needed and required. I want to explain to people the job requirements, danger, and the technology used.
    This needs alot of help. Instead of doing the whole thing, I'll show you another example for your first entry:

While volunteering at my Fire Department, I have picked up quite a few tricks of the trade. But, it takes more than that, in order to be a firefighter. There is alot you need to learn and understand before you can become one.

I chose this topic because I feel that the public should know what it takes to be a firefighter. From the equipment and tools needed to do the job, the dangers that come with it, the evolving technology of the fire industry, as well as the training to become one.

As Jonnee said, right now it is a "C" grade.

FM1
    I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Quote Originally Posted by EastKyFF
    "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Forum Member

John

First let me say I commend you on trying to write a document on an difficult subject.

Now to the suggestions.

Think about what you wish to say. Group statements which are of a common thought together then arrange those statements in a way to paint a picture. In other words, let each statement, fact or paragraph build upon the previous statements.

Choose your words carefully. Words can be quite powerful, or they can defeat your purpose. When using action verbs and adjectives, use the Thesaurus. Many times, a more powerful word can be placed into a sentence. Example: instead of 'alot', use 'many' or 'several'. Cite references, facts and statistics to help make your point. The USFA website has many resources that you might useful.

Don't write the way you typically speak to your friends. Mark Twain might be able to do this, but most of us cannot. Research a few of the leading Firefighting magazines. Pay attention to the delivery and writing styles.

The most important aspect of your project is not so much the content or even the subject. It is the way you deliver the message. Run-on sentences and poor word usage will destroy it for both you and the reader. The purpose of writing a document is obvious; you wish someone to read it. If it does not hold their attention or peak interest, you have failed.

As suggested, use spellcheck. But let me add something else. Sometimes spellcheck fails. You may spell a word correctly, but it may be the incorrect word; i.e. red versus read. You may miss it as well. When you proof read your paper, any words that don't look or sound right, use the dictionary and verify it.

If you do not pay attention to anything that I have stated, please do pay attention to this.

The proper use of the language is the most important tool in your toolbox. It will carry you further than any tool you can buy, or any gift you may receive. The "use of words" can elevate you in your occupation, education and life in general. This applies to both writing and speaking.

Failure to acquire this knowledge is much like a handicap since it makes it difficult to achieve success in your life. Of course, success is measured in many ways. For some, a job at McDonalds flipping hamburgers may be all someone wishes to do. For others, it might mean becoming a Captain at the local fire department.

The amount of responsibility that you wish to take on is directly relational to your ability to communicate effectively.

Since this is your Senior Project, I urge you to make it huge. If you have never done anything special during your young years, here is your opportunity to do something impressive to begin the days that are yet to come.

I am mostly in agreement with the grade others have given thus far. In the current form, your paper is borderline C-. It is the use of words and sentence structure that is killing you.

The majority of the folks that visit this forum are very intelligent and many are highly critical of the improper use of words. But, I think you already knew that. They are after all, firefighters; some of the most intelligent people I know.

I give you an A+ for coming to the right place for assistance. We cannot do your work for you, but we will approve or disapprove what you write. You will not please all of us, nor should you try. It must be yours based upon your thoughts, experience and perception. The only grade that counts is the one the teacher will award at the end of this project.

It is not your message that concerns me son. It is how you are presenting it.

Once you get your thoughts together, the rest will be there when you need it.

I wish you well.

PK
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinKnight View Post
    Think about what you wish to say. Group statements which are of a common thought together then arrange those statements in a way to paint a picture. In other words, let each statement, fact or paragraph build upon the previous statements.

Choose your words carefully. Words can be quite powerful, or they can defeat your purpose. When using action verbs and adjectives, use the Thesaurus. Many times, a more powerful word can be placed into a sentence. Example: instead of 'alot', use 'many' or 'several'. Cite references, facts and statistics to help make your point. The USFA website has many resources that you might useful.

Don't write the way you typically speak to your friends. Mark Twain might be able to do this, but most of us cannot. Research a few of the leading Firefighting magazines. Pay attention to the delivery and writing styles.
    These 3 points hit it right on the head. Nice job PK.

I love to read about anything fire related, but had a hard time reading your work. Topics were all over the place and I was completely distracted at your overuse of 'a lot'. By the way, it's not one word it's two, but alot of people make that mistake.

The way you are spelling 'allot' means to set aside, ration out or dedicate. Ex: I allot 10% of my paycheck to gas and 15% to groceries because I don't have a lot of money.

Seriously, this is for English III?
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

I hope this is a paper for the 7th grade or lower. Or an English as a Second Language class at best...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up And..............

PK, Thank You. Covered all my points for me before I got my Coffee poured...... Looking at the OP, I agree with everything so far, and I'd add that one thing way too many young folks do these days is fall into the "Texting" Crap.

An open discussion forum and a School Project are not Text Messages, and "Texting" short cuts should never be used. Proper Word Construction is (or should be) Paramount. I get a few comments about it, but my Desktop has a current copy of Funk & Wagnalls or Webster's sitting on it at all times. If I'm not sure about something, I look it up. In word construction, if it doesn't look right, it probably isn't. As this thread moves along, someone will probably say that this is not important, but it is. you're at a defining moment in your Education, and you need the most you can get out of it.

Look at it this way............ 1. Word Construction - Proper Spelling? Proper Word for that moment?......... 2. Sentence Construction - Words grouped properly to convey your thought on the subject?....... Sentences carried out in a reasonable length?......... 3. Paragraph Construction - Sentences grouped together, and lined up so the Reader will be carried thru your Story with an even flow? Subjects like this aren't Fiction Thrillers, so avoid the Roller Coaster ride..........

Good Luck, and please let us know how you make out with this project.....
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

I thought this had something to do with Mexico being a senor project

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    PK, Thank You. Covered all my points for me before I got my Coffee poured...... Looking at the OP, I agree with everything so far, and I'd add that one thing way too many young folks do these days is fall into the "Texting" Crap.

An open discussion forum and a School Project are not Text Messages, and "Texting" short cuts should never be used. Proper Word Construction is (or should be) Paramount. I get a few comments about it, but my Desktop has a current copy of Funk & Wagnalls or Webster's sitting on it at all times. If I'm not sure about something, I look it up. In word construction, if it doesn't look right, it probably isn't. As this thread moves along, someone will probably say that this is not important, but it is. you're at a defining moment in your Education, and you need the most you can get out of it.

Look at it this way............ 1. Word Construction - Proper Spelling? Proper Word for that moment?......... 2. Sentence Construction - Words grouped properly to convey your thought on the subject?....... Sentences carried out in a reasonable length?......... 3. Paragraph Construction - Sentences grouped together, and lined up so the Reader will be carried thru your Story with an even flow? Subjects like this aren't Fiction Thrillers, so avoid the Roller Coaster ride..........

Good Luck, and please let us know how you make out with this project.....

Maybe this kid should have made an appointment with Harve and others to sit down and go over this theme before, and I bet he has, turned it in to Mrs. Jerem and, got a bad mark for items that have been said in here.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

The proper use of the language is the most important tool in your toolbox. It will carry you further than any tool you can buy, or any gift you may receive. The "use of words" can elevate you in your occupation, education and life in general. This applies to both writing and speaking.

Failure to acquire this knowledge is much like a handicap since it makes it difficult to achieve success in your life. .
    Just ask Chief Lind...
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Just ask Chief Lind...

He is no longer a member and all his posts have been erased.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    He is no longer a member and all his posts have been erased.

Yeah, I noticed. Good riddance. Although it was amusing for awhile.

Of course, he's been here before under other aliases. I'd be surprised if he doesn't make another appearance. He's tenacious, I'll give him that....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream ó and I hope you don't find this too crazy ó is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    ó C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Thread Information