Thread: Seagravesstick

Forum Member

Default Seagravesstick

I am in need of some information. How many times do you ring a bell for a firefighter who is retiring? and how many times for a firefighter who has passed away?
    Thanks
    David

MembersZone Subscriber

Google is up.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

I'm not sure of that but keep in mind that every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings.
    IAFF

MembersZone Subscriber

Meh, so that you don't think I'm a dick, I'll say every department is different

For us, retirement is a final inspection of his crew and a regular tone out with his name being said as retiring, years of service and things like that, we normally do it the morning after his last relief so that we can all eat and not have to worry about a call.

For death, I've been to some with one single bell while ours was two, one in, two out.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

usually in death its three set of five rings retirement... no clue
    Whos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Forum Member

Death:

According to IAFF: Three rings of the bell, three times. This represents the end of the emergency and return to quarters.

Some departments have adopted ringing the bell based upon the box number.

Some departments adhere to a standard based upon their own traditions.

The following is based upon departments I have served with over the years, (at least the ones that rang a bell upon retirement).

Retirement: As the firefighter leaves the building upon retirement (ceremony), the Chief Officer slowly rings the bell an equal number of times to the years served.

Not all departments use a bell during a retirement ceremony, reserving that purpose for the passing of a comrade. Most of what we do to pay tribute to our brothers and sisters is based upon tradition, whether our own, or someone elses.

PK
    HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Forum Member

WE never used the bell persay, we did use the Q2 on a couple of funerals. One for a prior Captain at Dalton and another for my Loo that got killed. After they were lowered and Amazing Graze is played, or whichever final song the piper would play, dispatch would tone out the company that was theirs to run one last run for the firefighter. Usually another company would be covering for them as the last Engine company they were assigned to was carrying the casket, even if their last company was a truck company, whatever engine was theirs before that. Anyway, the covering company would drive somewhere down from the cemetary within decent hearing distance and would run the federal and air horns as if responding to a call. Once they reached a specified spot they would cancel call and return to service. I POINT OUT THOUGH, THEY WERE NOT ALLOWED TO GO OVER THE SPEED LIMIT AS IT WAS NOT A REAL CALL.

Retirement, ahhh, usually we would prank the hell out of them their last night on duty. Everything from surgical tubing run through the drop ceiling above their bed and soaking them with water from a huge turkey basting syrenge from another room to duct taping them to their desk chair and flowering the hell out of them. WE usually had a nice retirement party and ceremony for them off duty though.
    Last edited by firefightinirish217; 04-14-2011 at 12:19 PM.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Seagravesstick View Post
    I am in need of some information. How many times do you ring a bell for a firefighter who is retiring? and how many times for a firefighter who has passed away?
    Thanks
    David

No bells just the tones drop department wide announce that the member whith X number of years is retiring.

Death 5 bells, one round.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Thread Information