Forum Member

Red face Oldie but Goodie

One of my old friends contacted me today and asked me a question about the siren at the fire station. This doesn't fall under the area of mobile equipment but I thought I might find some tech guys here. I think that siren has been there since I was in first grade. Dont ask how old. They had the motor rebuilt by a guy in PA. and it hasn't been the same since. They are going to check the RPM, but it sounds lame like the speed is low. I asked them to get me more info but I believe it's a Federal 1960's or so. The motor is a 7.5 HP and it's probably a universal motor with brushes. I will get a better look at it next week but I was hoping for a little background. They contacted me because I used to rewind motors and do as much free support work for the local fire departments as I can stand. If you can point me to someone or can help I would appreciate it.

Forum Member

You sure thatís not 220 or 440 3Φ?

MembersZone Subscriber

Have been working on a siren system I got from DOD surplus in WI and came across a siren buff website (yes, apparent there are siren collectors). Might be able to help you locate useful info.

http://www.airraidsirens.com/forums/

Forum Member

I usually don't reference this site but.....

look at it. It may be of some help.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_500_siren
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Siren

Wow, this discussion got me all nostalgic. I grew up in a small rural town in the Midwest and there was a siren on the firehouse in the middle of town. It probably had a hearing radius of four miles depending on the wind direction. It was used for three functions. (The Noon Siren) Every day at noon (except Sunday) it was ran for two rotations. To let all the farmers in the fields and people at their jobs know it was time for lunch. When there was a fire and alerted all the volunteers to the fire house. And when it was used to warn of impending tornadoes. Most sadly, the Palm Sunday Tornadoes of 1965, when 271 people were killed in the Midwest. The storm that went through my little town was on the ground for 80 miles and destroyed 650 homes and killed 21 people. It probably would have been more if not for the siren at the fire house.
    Modern technology has replaced the old faithful siren but I will always remember my early years hearing the noon siren.

Thread Information