Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Fire Station

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    Here's what we had when I came on board, sort of.........
    Harve,

Where was the station located??? I presume it's no longer around..but I just have to ask.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Got some new pics...making good progress, sheet metal is going up, roof should be on in the next week or two and bricks should be going up in a couple of weeks...

Name:  New Steel.jpg
Views: 558
Size:  27.6 KB

Name:  More steel.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  43.7 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

More pics...

Name:  Sheet metal.jpg
Views: 555
Size:  32.0 KBName:  Sheet metal front view.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  29.4 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking good Chief!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

More progress...roof and sheet metal are all in place, beginning to frame up the front and interior walls....The rear-facing sides (C & D, since you guys speak the language ) will be metal siding, the road-facing sides (A & B) will be brick. In our case I'm calling the side with the engine bay doors side "B", since the "address" side will be the Highway 1 side where you see the windows and double door framed in these pics.

Name:  Stud wall, front corner.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  32.9 KBName:  Stud wall, hwy 1 side.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  29.8 KBName:  Stud walls from engine bay.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  35.7 KBName:  Framing from front apron.jpg
Views: 472
Size:  32.8 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Startin to look like a HOUSE!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Smile Well.....

Quote Originally Posted by Leeland View Post
    Harve,

Where was the station located??? I presume it's no longer around..but I just have to ask.

In today's modern world, the Street address would be 6900 Glenn Dale Rd. Do a Google map thing on that address, then switch to "Satallite View" The Building shown is what was our 3rd Station, 6910 Glenn Dale Rd, and the earlier Station stood where the parking lot is shown now.......
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking good chief!! What is the scheduled completion date?
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Looking good chief!! What is the scheduled completion date?
    Thanks! I don't recall the date exactly but I think the contractor's deadline is around early June. At the rate we're moving now we're anticipating an early completion, maybe late April or early May, although I'm not going to put too much stock in that for now. It's really great to drive by and see how much progress is being made every day...I've been trying to take pictures of each phase of construction but the way it's going it's hard to keep up!
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Downstairs meeting and training room....

Name:  Training and meeting room.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  29.0 KB

Front wall, second floor framing....

Name:  Second floor framing.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  36.4 KB

Upstairs room, looking toward locker rooms....

Name:  Upstairs looking at locker rooms.jpg
Views: 357
Size:  34.7 KB

For the time being, the upstairs will be left as one huge room (except for the two locker rooms you see framed up toward the back there). At some time in the future we're planning to section this area off into dorm rooms, a gym, and a sort of general hanging-out area, but we really don't know exactly how we want to lay that out yet so we're leaving it as an open floor plan for now.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple things that worked well for us were, a interior designer volunteered to help out pickiing colors for the interior and a master gardner help choose plants for outside and planted them. We bougnt the plantings out of the fund and saved money for other things.

MembersZone Subscriber

More pics...

Apparatus bay doors....

Name:  Bay doors.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  31.0 KB

Front of building with sheeting in place...

Name:  Front of building with sheeting in place.jpg
Views: 630
Size:  26.2 KB

This is a maintenance/shop area behind two of the apparatus bays....here we will house our SCBA fill station, gear washer/dryer, large sink for disinfecting masks and other general washing-up stuff, work bench, tools, etc...

Name:  Maintenance-shop area behind engine bays.jpg
Views: 628
Size:  36.0 KB

Stairwell going up to the second floor....

Name:  Stairwell.jpeg
Views: 640
Size:  101.9 KB

A view of the second floor from the top of the maintenance area. Initially this area will be an open deck but we will probably come back later and enclose it as a secure storage area. A place to keep spare turnout gear and other stuff.

Name:  Upstairs from above the shop area.jpg
Views: 629
Size:  40.9 KB
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 01-30-2012 at 07:50 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

you'all running fire sprinklers in there?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    you'all running fire sprinklers in there?
    Yes we are...I think we could have gotten away with not having them but from the very beginning I felt very strongly that the building should have sprinklers...after all, aren't we out there advocating them all the time? It would have been hypocritical to not have them in the fire station

We discovered recently that it's going to make some of the construction easier too...The wall between the apparatus bays and the living area has to be fire rated per code. Without sprinkers that wall has to be rated for 2 hours, which the builder and the engineer were having a hard time figuring out how to do feasibly. With sprinklers that rating is cut in half, so the construction is easier and more economical.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

fantastic job chief. i cannot agree more about it being hypocritical and it just being a poor financial decision not to.
    there have been some departments i know of that (having some extra finances) were able to put preaction, drypipe, wetpipe, and antifreeze systems in. it gave the crews more understanding of the systems and was essentially aworking training prop.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Forum Member

Default new fire station construction advice

Not intending to derail Chief LeBlanc's thread, but our department is just starting down the path of building a new station. This process is new to pretty much our entire membership. Earlier in Chief LeBlanc's thread, there was an offer of advice or help in answering any questions. Just wondering if anyone here can share their thoughts about what to include in a new house, both the "must have" items and "wish list" items.

BTW, any new pictures Chief?

~Skojo

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Skojo View Post
    Not intending to derail Chief LeBlanc's thread, but our department is just starting down the path of building a new station. This process is new to pretty much our entire membership. Earlier in Chief LeBlanc's thread, there was an offer of advice or help in answering any questions. Just wondering if anyone here can share their thoughts about what to include in a new house, both the "must have" items and "wish list" items.

BTW, any new pictures Chief?

~Skojo
    It's been 15+ years since our new station, but from what I remember and what we have gone through:
    • We regret not having a records storage room for about 15 or 20 5-drawer filing cabinets for everything from membership records to apparatus repair records to finances, etc.
    • We absolutely positively regret not having enough storage space- however much storage space/closets you think you need, quadruple it and you still wont have enough
    • We regret not getting a hydrant on the front ramp or a larger overhead potable water line, for filling tanks.
    • We regret not getting separate sex bunkrooms.
    • We regret not getting a larger kitchen with commercial-grade GAS appliances (or at least hooking the electric ones to the stand by gen set.)
    • We regret not getting a locker room with showers just off the apparatus bay. If guys get nasty at a fire, they have to go through living space to get to the bunkroom/lockers to strip and then shower.
    • We regret not getting some kind of a "front door" reception area that is easily seen and identified by civilians so they know to go to that door- if all doors are now closed, they knock on the first door they see and who knows if they will be heard.
    • We regret not working with an architect/firm that is familiar with designing fire stations. We used a member's relative who never did a fire station before. Big mistake.

Thats just stuff that comes to me right now.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, things continue to progress....here's the latest pics....

Upstairs multipurpose room....has been sheetrocked and mudded, paint should go on next week

Name:  4-21-12 Upstairs.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  20.9 KB

Locker rooms (upstairs)

Name:  4-21-12 Locker rooms.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  17.7 KB
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 04-21-2012 at 05:11 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Interior stairwell

Name:  4-21-12 Interior stairwell.jpeg
Views: 528
Size:  69.0 KB

Engine bay wall and heaters

Name:  4-21-12 Engine bay wall and heaters.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  23.8 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Engine bay doors have been installed

Bricks have been delivered, should be going up next week
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.....approx. 6 weeks from completion if all continues to go according to plan.

Bathroom tile work

Name:  Bathroom floor tiles.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  22.0 KBName:  Bathroom wall tiles.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  17.6 KB

Engine bay stairs being installed

Name:  Engine bay stairs being installed.JPG
Views: 433
Size:  98.5 KB

Engine bay doors

Name:  Engine bay doors.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  22.9 KB

Engine bay walls with concrete wallboard in place and workshop

Name:  Engine bay walls and workshop.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  23.9 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Bricks are up

Name:  Bricks on Hwy. 1 side.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  31.6 KB

Kitchen cabinets

Name:  Kitchen cabinets.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  15.4 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thanks for a great thread Chief. It's a terrific learning experience. Just wondering, on the upstairs area you did not have to make it accessible to persons with a disability. I know it doesn't make sense but we were told that if we had an upstairs meeting or even a locker room they would have to be accessible to all. Did you have this problem?
    Many thanks Chief
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

It coming together very nicely, Chief.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

Forum Member

Looks good. Why no windows in the bay doors?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Thread Information