Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Fire Station

MembersZone Subscriber

A couple things that worked well for us were, a interior designer volunteered to help out pickiing colors for the interior and a master gardner help choose plants for outside and planted them. We bougnt the plantings out of the fund and saved money for other things.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

More pics...

Apparatus bay doors....

Name:  Bay doors.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  31.0 KB

Front of building with sheeting in place...

Name:  Front of building with sheeting in place.jpg
Views: 624
Size:  26.2 KB

This is a maintenance/shop area behind two of the apparatus bays....here we will house our SCBA fill station, gear washer/dryer, large sink for disinfecting masks and other general washing-up stuff, work bench, tools, etc...

Name:  Maintenance-shop area behind engine bays.jpg
Views: 621
Size:  36.0 KB

Stairwell going up to the second floor....

Name:  Stairwell.jpeg
Views: 632
Size:  101.9 KB

A view of the second floor from the top of the maintenance area. Initially this area will be an open deck but we will probably come back later and enclose it as a secure storage area. A place to keep spare turnout gear and other stuff.

Name:  Upstairs from above the shop area.jpg
Views: 623
Size:  40.9 KB
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 01-30-2012 at 06:50 PM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

you'all running fire sprinklers in there?
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Quote Originally Posted by ffmedcbk1 View Post
    you'all running fire sprinklers in there?
    Yes we are...I think we could have gotten away with not having them but from the very beginning I felt very strongly that the building should have sprinklers...after all, aren't we out there advocating them all the time? It would have been hypocritical to not have them in the fire station

We discovered recently that it's going to make some of the construction easier too...The wall between the apparatus bays and the living area has to be fire rated per code. Without sprinkers that wall has to be rated for 2 hours, which the builder and the engineer were having a hard time figuring out how to do feasibly. With sprinklers that rating is cut in half, so the construction is easier and more economical.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber ffmedcbk1's Avatar

fantastic job chief. i cannot agree more about it being hypocritical and it just being a poor financial decision not to.
    there have been some departments i know of that (having some extra finances) were able to put preaction, drypipe, wetpipe, and antifreeze systems in. it gave the crews more understanding of the systems and was essentially aworking training prop.
    Originally Posted by madden01
    "and everyone is encouraged to use Plain, Spelled Out English. I thought this was covered in NIMS training."

Default new fire station construction advice

Not intending to derail Chief LeBlanc's thread, but our department is just starting down the path of building a new station. This process is new to pretty much our entire membership. Earlier in Chief LeBlanc's thread, there was an offer of advice or help in answering any questions. Just wondering if anyone here can share their thoughts about what to include in a new house, both the "must have" items and "wish list" items.

BTW, any new pictures Chief?

~Skojo

Quote Originally Posted by Skojo View Post
    Not intending to derail Chief LeBlanc's thread, but our department is just starting down the path of building a new station. This process is new to pretty much our entire membership. Earlier in Chief LeBlanc's thread, there was an offer of advice or help in answering any questions. Just wondering if anyone here can share their thoughts about what to include in a new house, both the "must have" items and "wish list" items.

BTW, any new pictures Chief?

~Skojo
    It's been 15+ years since our new station, but from what I remember and what we have gone through:
    • We regret not having a records storage room for about 15 or 20 5-drawer filing cabinets for everything from membership records to apparatus repair records to finances, etc.
    • We absolutely positively regret not having enough storage space- however much storage space/closets you think you need, quadruple it and you still wont have enough
    • We regret not getting a hydrant on the front ramp or a larger overhead potable water line, for filling tanks.
    • We regret not getting separate sex bunkrooms.
    • We regret not getting a larger kitchen with commercial-grade GAS appliances (or at least hooking the electric ones to the stand by gen set.)
    • We regret not getting a locker room with showers just off the apparatus bay. If guys get nasty at a fire, they have to go through living space to get to the bunkroom/lockers to strip and then shower.
    • We regret not getting some kind of a "front door" reception area that is easily seen and identified by civilians so they know to go to that door- if all doors are now closed, they knock on the first door they see and who knows if they will be heard.
    • We regret not working with an architect/firm that is familiar with designing fire stations. We used a member's relative who never did a fire station before. Big mistake.

Thats just stuff that comes to me right now.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Well, things continue to progress....here's the latest pics....

Upstairs multipurpose room....has been sheetrocked and mudded, paint should go on next week

Name:  4-21-12 Upstairs.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  20.9 KB

Locker rooms (upstairs)

Name:  4-21-12 Locker rooms.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  17.7 KB
    Last edited by dmleblanc; 04-21-2012 at 04:11 AM.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Interior stairwell

Name:  4-21-12 Interior stairwell.jpeg
Views: 520
Size:  69.0 KB

Engine bay wall and heaters

Name:  4-21-12 Engine bay wall and heaters.jpg
Views: 509
Size:  23.8 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Engine bay doors have been installed

Bricks have been delivered, should be going up next week
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now.....approx. 6 weeks from completion if all continues to go according to plan.

Bathroom tile work

Name:  Bathroom floor tiles.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  22.0 KBName:  Bathroom wall tiles.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  17.6 KB

Engine bay stairs being installed

Name:  Engine bay stairs being installed.JPG
Views: 428
Size:  98.5 KB

Engine bay doors

Name:  Engine bay doors.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  22.9 KB

Engine bay walls with concrete wallboard in place and workshop

Name:  Engine bay walls and workshop.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  23.9 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Bricks are up

Name:  Bricks on Hwy. 1 side.jpg
Views: 401
Size:  31.6 KB

Kitchen cabinets

Name:  Kitchen cabinets.jpg
Views: 416
Size:  15.4 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thanks for a great thread Chief. It's a terrific learning experience. Just wondering, on the upstairs area you did not have to make it accessible to persons with a disability. I know it doesn't make sense but we were told that if we had an upstairs meeting or even a locker room they would have to be accessible to all. Did you have this problem?
    Many thanks Chief
    Ed

It coming together very nicely, Chief.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL
    http://sylvafiredeptnc.tripod.com

Looks good. Why no windows in the bay doors?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Quote Originally Posted by penman View Post
    Thanks for a great thread Chief. It's a terrific learning experience. Just wondering, on the upstairs area you did not have to make it accessible to persons with a disability. I know it doesn't make sense but we were told that if we had an upstairs meeting or even a locker room they would have to be accessible to all. Did you have this problem?
    Many thanks Chief
    Ed
    We went 'round and 'round on that issue for a long time during design....We explained that the upstairs was never meant to be accessible to the general public (disabled or not), only firefighters, but that didn't matter a lick. We were facing the possibility of having to install an elevator, which is VERY expensive. Then someone finally found a loophole in the code that states that if the upstairs floor area is less than X number of square feet then access is not required, and we fell just under that.

We also had fits with the stairs for the same reason. The height from the first floor to the second floor is 13 feet. Code says that you can't have more than 12 feet of vertical rise without an "intermediate landing" (a place to stop and rest if you just can't make that last foot ). The metal staircase to the engine bay (shown in the picture) meets this requirement. On the other (interior) stairs, there was no way to make them fit in the available space if we'd had to add the intermediate landing. We ended up having to get a variance but we will have to put signs at the bottom of each staircase indicating that the area is off limits to the general public. A small concession but a few weeks ago the stair issue was really holding up the job while we resolved the issue.

The meeting room is downstairs, so any meeting that a civilian might have to attend would be in an accessible area. There are locker rooms/showers upstairs but they are only for firefighters....there are accessible restroom facilities downstairs.

Yes, this has been a very educational experience....
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Quote Originally Posted by GTRider245 View Post
    Looks good. Why no windows in the bay doors?
    Excellent question. I would have preferred windows but the style of door was dictated by local wind rating codes (we are in a hurricane prone area). So we had to get the "rollup" style door instead of a panel-style overhead door (typical garage door). The door is made of 3" slats instead of large panels, so it could not contain large windows. If you look carefully there is one slat which has plexiglass inserts at approximately eye level, so you can look outside (albeit through a narrow slit). We had the option of adding more of those but they're real expensive and you still just have several narrow slits to look through, not a real window.

Aesthetically, yeah, it's not real attractive, but after we lost an entire station during Hurricane Gustav in ''08 (back before the wind codes were being enforced), we knew we wanted a building that was going to weather the next big one

Name:  100_2043.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  29.8 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thank you very much Chief for clarifying that. It's usually cheaper to go up and we were trying to have a classroom as well as lockers, showers etc, upstairs and used only by FFs. Sounds like we have a battle on our hands which equates to higher unnecessary cost. Nothings easy. Thanks again, I look forward to your continuing saga.
    Ed

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    A small concession but a few weeks ago the stair issue was really holding up the job while we resolved the issue.
    Just out of curiosity, why wasn't this resolved prior to a shovel hitting the dirt, during the plan review phase? Who is the building code official, and is he/she the one who did the plan review? For a mistake this gross (that held up the job to boot) he/she should have been slapped upside the head.

Quote Originally Posted by penman View Post
    Thank you very much Chief for clarifying that. It's usually cheaper to go up and we were trying to have a classroom as well as lockers, showers etc, upstairs and used only by FFs. Sounds like we have a battle on our hands which equates to higher unnecessary cost. Nothings easy. Thanks again, I look forward to your continuing saga.
    Ed
    Penman, you or your design professional need to confer with local, county and state code officials. In some states it is easier to obtain variances from ADA requirements, some they are written in stone and absolutely untouchable. It all goes down to square footage and the occupancy- Fire Stations are tricky 90% of the time (and again depends on the jurisdiction) as you have the "S" garage-storage-firehouse) use and you have either an R2 or an R3 (residential) use for the living quarters. The mixed occupancy usually confuses the issue.

One thing to remember, ADA accessibility is primarily a FEDERAL thing. Everyone is required to abide by it, however some states or municipalities have adopted local ordinances which allow them to "adjust" in certain situations. Again, check with your local building code officials in the planning stages of the game. Not when it is too late, or construction has already started and has to be held up because someone found a stairwell that does not meet code.

Thread Information