Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Fire Station

Let's talk fire trucks!

Looks great thus far, Chief. Is that industrial-style roll-up door for storm protection?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Looks great thus far, Chief. Is that industrial-style roll-up door for storm protection?
    Yes, that is correct. I would have preferred a more traditional style door, one with some windows, but they had to be rated for a certain wind speed because we are in a hurricane prone area. Not the most aesthetically pleasing but after seeing one of our substations collapse during Hurricane Gustav we're all about wind rating
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

So close now I can almost taste it!

More pics....

Side facing Highway 1

Name:  Highway 1 side.jpg
Views: 587
Size:  24.0 KB

Engine bays facing Highway 1005

Name:  Westfield road side.jpg
Views: 584
Size:  20.6 KB

Individual workstations upstairs

Name:  Upstairs training desks.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  12.7 KB

New furniture in my office

Name:  My office furniture.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  11.5 KB

Conference table in downstairs training room....not sure how this is going to work, it's bigger than I expected....will work better if we can turn it the other way....

Name:  conference table.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  19.6 KB

Still working on punch list items with the contractor and waiting for the turnout gear washer/extractor and drying cabinet to be installed (dryer is here, extractor hasn't arrived yet). I'll have to get some pics of the inside of the maintenance/shop area once all the equipment is in.

So very close!
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Looks terrific Chief. Please keep the pics coming.
    Ed

Forum Member

Excellent looking station and workstations.

MembersZone Subscriber

Looking very Nice, Chief! Great Job.
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dmleblanc View Post
    Yes, that is correct. I would have preferred a more traditional style door, one with some windows, but they had to be rated for a certain wind speed because we are in a hurricane prone area. Not the most aesthetically pleasing but after seeing one of our substations collapse during Hurricane Gustav we're all about wind rating

Just because it's been a while since I was around that way, how close is the station to the racetrack?
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Almost over the hump. Now time to ENJOY! Nice job!

Forum Member

Everything is looking great. I need to get some pictures together and update the thread on our new stations.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by tajm611 View Post
    Just because it's been a while since I was around that way, how close is the station to the racetrack?
    A little less than 2 miles as the crow flies, a little over 5 miles if the crow has to drive a fire truck around to the main entrance

We have a substation a lot closer (1.3 road miles) but seldom have anyone in the area to respond from it.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Ya ready Chief?

Looks like your hurricane doors are gonna be tested a lot sooner than ya wished.

Based on the current track and the forecast of a Cat 2, looks like we're gonna get wet and have some blowin' going on up here to as they are not forecasting a turn to the east until it gets well inland nd we are in a striaght line on it's current track up from the Big Easy.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Forum Member

Please be safe guys, our thoughts and prayers are with you all. You could send a little rain up to western Mass. It's pretty dry up here.
    Ed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by penman View Post
    Please be safe guys, our thoughts and prayers are with you all. You could send a little rain up to western Mass. It's pretty dry up here.
    Ed
    Thanks.

Looks like we're not going get the hit we initially thought as we'll likely end up witth 2-5" of rain and some wind up to 25-35 mph gusts, and may give is some localized flooding in our normal places.. Will likely bring down some pine trees ond power lines and structures but shouldn't be anything beyond normal storm responses for a strong thunderstorm, except it may be a longer duration event.

Where Chief is .... that's going to be a different story.
    penman likes this.

Forum Member

Everybody keep dm in mind ..

This thing is starting to role over the top of him and it's a significant rain event ..... They will likely have problems.

As it's tracking more to the west now then they expected yesterday, it's projected to come right over the top of us. If it continues to move west, we could easily get the east side.

I think this storm will turn out to be much more than folks expected a little ole' Cat 1 to be.

Forum Member

Thanks for the update. Please keep us informed, not that there is much we can do to help, but at least you know we are with you in spirit. Be safe.
    Ed

Forum Member

District just recieved a request from state EOC for an 8-person crew to go to Gretna, LA for additional manpower/backfill.

Gretna is just on the west side of the Mississippi River across from NO.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-29-2012 at 03:19 PM.

Forum Member

Our crews, along with personnel from 4 neighboring districts, went down last night. Once at the staging area, they were reassigned from station coverage/relief in Gretna to active rescue operations LaPlace, LA, just northwest of NO.

They are currently performing boat-mounted search and rescue operations with LA Department of Wildlife and Fisheries.

As far as up here, it appears like the storm will now be going a little more to the east, which means less wind and rain for us.

Hundreds of residents from subdivisions that include River Forest, Palmetto, Palmetto Lakes, Palmetto South, Cambridge, Riverlands Subdivision, Live Oak Landing, River Oak Landing, Old 51, Carmel Valley, Canterbury's, Summerlin Estates, AOL school area, Country Club, and LaPlace Park have been rescued and taken to staging areas at New Wine Christian Fellowship Church in LaPlace and East St. John Elementary School. Many of those rescued have been taken to state shelters in Alexandria.

Parish officials have not reported how many residents have been evacuated or rescued, but say boats, helicopters and other rescue vehicles are being used this morning to continue the search for others who may be stranded. They ask that anyone with information on residents stranded by the storm to call the parish at 985.652.2222. State Police, National Guard, Wildlife and Fisheries, and St. John Sheriff and Fire personnel are performing search and rescue operations.

Parish officials warn that St. John remains under as tropical storm warning with winds of 25-35 mph and that the water is still rising and that tides are expected to remain at elevated levels of 5 to 8 feet before receding slowly later today.

The majority of the parish remains without electricity.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-30-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Forum Member

Many thanks again for the update,,stay safe. And dry.
    Ed

Forum Member

LA USAR TF-3 (Northwest LA) was just activated tio go down south. They had not activated them primarily for a possible need in this part of the state as the storm moved through. Now that the danger has passed up here they are activating them to move south an area north of New Orleans (Tangipaho Parish).

We have one fulltime member that is on the team and will be heading south in just a couple of hours.

That gives us a total of 7 career and volunteers member operating in south LA.

The storm may have passed but they are still having significant flooding, evacuation and water rescue issues in the parishes ouside of NO.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-30-2012 at 05:13 PM.

Forum Member

Saw the TV coverage, it looks horrendous, people again with nothing but what they can carry. Hope the worst is almost over. Be safe.
    Ed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Our crews, along with personnel from 4 neighboring districts, went down last night. Once at the staging area, they were reassigned from station coverage/relief in Gretna to active rescue operations LaPlace, LA, just northwest of NO.]
    This is precisely why all crews need to meet a statewide (preferably a national) standard Firefighter I certification. But I am sure you will come up with some kind of an excuse not to have to meet it and fight this perfectly legitimate scenerio.

And didnt you say once (when I questioned you about a statewide national disaster deployment) that "it was highly unlikely that we would respond to such an invitation" or some babble like that??
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Ah common guy, now is not the time! We don't and won't always agree but when the crap hits the fan we are all brothers!
    Ed

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by penman View Post
    Ah common guy, now is not the time! We don't and won't always agree but when the crap hits the fan we are all brothers!
    Ed
    HE is NOT a brother. He never HAS been a brother and he never WILL be a brother. HE is a yellow-spined chicken schit that would rather leave victims (includng his own family members) inside a burning car or building rather than risk a broken fingernail in a rescue attempt. HE is a pathetic wanna-be, and a deployment during a statewide crap hits the fan disaster is not the time for him to be playing fireman.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    This is precisely why all crews need to meet a statewide (preferably a national) standard Firefighter I certification. But I am sure you will come up with some kind of an excuse not to have to meet it and fight this perfectly legitimate scenerio.

And didnt you say once (when I questioned you about a statewide national disaster deployment) that "it was highly unlikely that we would respond to such an invitation" or some babble like that??
    Actually there is no need for excuses.

All 7 are FFI.

6 of the 7 are FFII.

4 of the 7 are Instructor I, and 3 are Instructor IIs.

3 of the 7 are Officer I including the 2 Strike Team Leaders, per NIMS. And I is Officer II.

4 are Driver/Operators.

2 have some advanced technical rescue operations certifications.

1 is a member of the USAR team with the full compliment of collpase, trench, confined space, high angle and water rescue certifications.

We only deploy personnel that are FFI. We prefer FFII and all and always most of the time all the personnel we deploy have that certification as well.

As far as statewide deployment I did state that most of the rural VFDs that were entailed in that discussion, such as my rural VFD, would never respond to a statewide deployment.

As far as my career department, I never stated that as we have deployed to Katrina, Gustav, Ike and now Issac. As I have stated earlier (and many previous times), FFI is a requirement to be considered for deployment.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    HE is NOT a brother. He never HAS been a brother and he never WILL be a brother. HE is a yellow-spined chicken schit that would rather leave victims (includng his own family members) inside a burning car or building rather than risk a broken fingernail in a rescue attempt. HE is a pathetic wanna-be, and a deployment during a statewide crap hits the fan disaster is not the time for him to be playing fireman.
    wow......talk about making a new guy reading these forums feel welcomed.

Thread Information