+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 First ... 34567 Last
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: New Fire Station

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    wow......talk about making a new guy reading these forums feel welcomed.
    You'll get used to it...
    Firefighter 1/ PA EMT-B

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Picc.93Truck View Post
    You'll get used to it...

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Daped01 View Post
    wow......talk about making a new guy reading these forums feel welcomed.
    Sorry Daped just stating the truth. As for the allegations of him not attempting rescues of victims including his own family members, he himself has made the statements. You as a new guy should know here and now to never, ever listen to anything he says.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Actually there is no need for excuses.
    Boy didn't I call that one perfectly. Way to avoid the crux of the discussion.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Forum Member

oh, i get, i'm just giving a little grief back thats all!

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Boy didn't I call that one perfectly. Way to avoid the crux of the discussion.
    And what was the crux of the discussion ....

"This is precisely why all crews need to meet a statewide (preferably a national) standard Firefighter I certification. But I am sure you will come up with some kind of an excuse not to have to meet it and fight this perfectly legitimate scenerio."

It seems to me that your point was that all personnel being deployed need to meet a standard. And I clearly demonstrtated that all deployed peronnel (including the other 5 members of the Strike Force from the nieghboring departments) all met, and in all case except one, exceeded, the certification requirements as defined by NIMS for deployment.

Sorry to disappoint you.

As I have stated any personnel we deploy will have FFI and the Officer, in most cases, will be Officer I, as defined by NIMS.

As far as most VFDs in this part of the state, they will never deploy to a major incident such as this. They simply don't have the depth to send personnel. Meeting standards for the sake of statewide disaster deployment beyond thier normal mutual aid area is a mute point for them.
    Last edited by LaFireEducator; 08-31-2012 at 11:17 AM.
    Train to fight the fires you fight.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

If you fine fellows would allow me the courtesy of re-hijacking my own thread I have a couple of new pics....

Pictured is the "Spirit of Louisiana" (former FDNY Engine 283), which was the first apparatus donated to New York City by the people of Louisiana following 9/11. The Louisiana fire service conducted boot drives and other fund raisers to pay for this truck and a couple of others, built by Ferrara to FDNY specs. It served as E283 for a couple of years then was used at the FDNY training academy for awhile, if I remember correctly.

Following Hurricane Katrina in 2005, the city of New York donated the truck back to Louisiana to replace New Orleans Fire Department apparatus lost in the flooding. It served for some time with the NOFD until they were able to purchase new trucks. By this time, you can imagine, the truck was in pretty rough shape. It was completely refurbished by Ferrara (at their expense) and donated back to the Louisiana fire service as a memorial, under the care of the Louisiana State Fire Marshal's office. It makes public appearances from time to time around the state. We've had it appear at a couple of fairs in our area, as well as one of our annual banquets.

Now it just so happens that one of my captains works for the State Fire Marshal's office, and his job duties sometimes include driving this truck to public events. He was passing back through town yesterday evening on his way back from a local fair and stopped by the new station for a few minutes. The truck is pictured here with our Engine 36 and Engine 33.

Name:  Spirit 1.jpg
Views: 433
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  Spirit 2.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  34.4 KB

As far as the station is concerned, after many delays and tentative completion dates, we finally received our certificate of occupancy a few weeks ago and started the lengthy task of stocking it with furniture, A/V equipment, kitchen wares and a whole bunch of other stuff we never had a place or a need for at the old station. The trucks are not in service there yet as we are waiting for a painter to put down the yellow guide stripes in the engine bays. However, we will have a ribbon cutting ceremony on November 9th and the station will be fully operational at that time.
    ATFDFF likes this.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Many thanks for the update Chief! Nice to see it's almost ready for service. You may have said but just wondering what the population is for your town?
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by penman View Post
    Many thanks for the update Chief! Nice to see it's almost ready for service. You may have said but just wondering what the population is for your town?
    Ed
    We don't have a "town" per se, just an unincorporated area of the parish. We cover about 75 square miles (primarily cane fields) and the population of our service area is a little over 6,000 according the latest figures I have available.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Thanks Chief, we have 541 or so residents and 25 sq. miles so you're slightly larger. Lol
    Ed

MembersZone Subscriber

Well, we're finally in! Had our dedication and ribbon cutting on Friday, Nov. 9th (I don't have the pictures from that day yet), but here are some interior shots of the finished product:

A few pics inside the apparatus bay

Name:  Trucks in place.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  25.8 KBName:  Engine bay with trucks.jpg
Views: 349
Size:  25.8 KBName:  R37 and Gear Lockers.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  28.1 KB

Kitchen and radio room/office
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

Upstairs storage area with spare turnout gear

Name:  Gear Storage.jpg
Views: 346
Size:  25.9 KB

My office

Name:  My Office.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  17.3 KB

Training room

Name:  Training Room.jpg
Views: 352
Size:  24.8 KB

Gear washer and dryer

Name:  Gear washer and dryer.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  17.9 KB

Upstairs

Name:  Upstairs with furniture.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  14.8 KB
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

A cabinet built by my deputy chief....the bottom houses all the A/V equipment that ties in to the classroom projector, and he will be adding a glassed-in display case on the top (just didn't have time to do the whole thing before the opening)

Name:  Trophy Case.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  20.6 KB

Trucks in place

Name:  Trucks in.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  20.0 KB

We officially ran our first call from the new station about 12 hours later. It's been weird when I leave my house now for a call, because I have to drive by the old station and 23 years of habit keep telling me to turn in there

We still have a few bugs to work out with the engineer and the contractor but we're happy to finally be home. The most amazing thing to me, now that we're in, is how in the heck we managed to operate as well as we did out of that ratty, cramped old station for all those years
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Came out gorgeous Chief!! Unfortunately we know only to well about a ratty, cramped station. Brings the whole dept. down. All your hard work, all your leadership certainly paid off. Congratulations also do all those that made the new station more than just a dream.
    Ed

Forum Member

Dwayne... isn't it nice when a dream becomes a reality?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Forum Member

That is awesome! I love that bay floor. Is it polished concrete? I feel your pain on the working out of bugs with the contractor. We officially went operational in September and we still have a punch list waiting!
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Forum Member

Great looking station. Congrats, looks like you guys put some serious thought into what you wanted and needed.

To the bay floor, it is great you were able to do the floor when you built the station. We couldn't coat our floor because we did not have enough money. It is a great thing to do. It gives you very easy cleanup. We are getting ready to do our floor now but it obviously is going to take more work.

Is that Shield Crete on there? If so what is the color/color code you picked?

Forum Member

Beautiful looking station! Wish ours was half as nice as that!

55 Years & Still Rolling
    Glenn Dale Md, Heart of the P.G. County Fire Belt....

Thumbs up Wow........

Outstanding Job Chief!, Congratulations.........

On a side note, When we moved into our new station, one thing that happened to us, unexpected, was a sudden surge in new member applications..... AND, there's a lot to be said for an outfit that runs Yellow Apparatus with Black Tops...........
    Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
    In memory of
    Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
    Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Forum Member

If a get the bid for a NFA Juvenile Firesetting Intervention class down in Houma in late May, I'll have to stop by and take a look.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thanks, everybody! We're just really excited to be in finally!

Harve, we've been in a little over two weeks and had two new applicants already...I hope it continues!

The floor has an epoxy coating...I don't recall the brand or the color code, something our engineer picked out for us (he selected the product, we just picked the color). It looks great when it's clean, but it's hard to keep clean because every dusty footprint shows up. Hopefully that will get better when all the grass grows in and we have more of a lawn and less of a construction site It's been hard to keep from tracking all the dirt in.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

Nice looking pics, Chief - thanks for sharing. How wide are the bay doors? 12ft? 14ft? Also, what's the total square footage?

Skojo

MembersZone Subscriber

Chief it all looks great. I know you all are very proud. I have to agree with Harve, on top of a nice building, I love the Yellow fire trucks!
    Stay Safe
    Bull

“Guys if you get hurt, we’ll help you. If you get sick we’ll treat you. If you want to bitch and moan, then all I can tell you is to flick the sand out of your slit, suck it up or get the hell out!”
    - Capt. Marc Cox CFD

Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.
    -WINSTON CHURCHILL

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Skojo View Post
    Nice looking pics, Chief - thanks for sharing. How wide are the bay doors? 12ft? 14ft? Also, what's the total square footage?

Skojo
    The square footage under roof is around 5,000 square feet, plus I guess around 1,000-1,500 sq. feet upstairs. The bay doors are 12' wide...we wanted 14' but since they had to be wind rated to I think around 120 mph, the increase in price from 12' to 14' was astronomical. That's also why we have the rolling style doors instead of the more common panel-style overhead doors....wind rating.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville, LA

— C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

Forum Member

My VFD also mocved into our new station last month.

The building has been there for almost 6 years but there turned out to be no money to complete the interior when it was built. It was a shell with bay space for pieces and just an open space where the interior was supposed to be including no bathrooms.

Si finally almost the entire officer staff threatened to quit unless the Board agreed to take out a loan and use some of the money in the reserve fund the build out the interior.

We now have 3 offices compared to 1 at our old Central Station, a training room capable of sitting 30-35 v. 10-12 with 2 projection screens and an actual real kitchen compare to a combination bathroom/storage room/microwave room.

There were plans to leave the second story unfinished for expansion later, but unfortunately the height of the ceiling truss system has made the overall height of the 2nd floor suitable for storage only.

It's not fancy at all, but it's a lot more space and will allow us to grow.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 First ... 34567 Last

Thread Information