Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Reliance View Post
    I always thought that a wagon was small & red with little whhels that you pulled around as a kid with your new tricycle.
    Like this?

C6
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Reliance

Quote Originally Posted by Command6 View Post
    Like this?

C6
    A little bit smaller but similiar

MembersZone Subscriber

To answer the original question:

As several posters have pointed out, it stems from the days of two-piece engine companies, in which the hose wagon laid out and proceeded to the fire, and the pumper pumped the line(s) from the hydrant.

Since two-piece companies are now a thing of the past (even in DC), a lot of departments will still refer to their engine as a "wagon", because - in any first-due scenario - it is laying out from the hydrant to the fire, just as the hose wagons used to do. If you were to refer to the "pumper" in a fire scenario, it would be the second (or fourth) arriving engine, which is pumping the hydrant (hence acting as a the "pumper" in days of old). Nobody wants to think of themselves as second-due all the time, so naturally you are going to refer to your single-piece engine company as a "wagon" and not a "pumper".

Some volunteer houses that run two or more engines will refer to the piece that's currently running first-out as the wagon, and the second out as the pumper.

"Engine" may be used interchangeably with "pumper", but more often nowadays "Engine" will refer, broadly, to the company/piece of apparatus, rather than its specific role.

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by One13Truck View Post
    I am glad that I wasn't the only one confused by this though. This part of Pa doesn't have any "Wagons" at least in an official name. Seeing them all over Md & Va I've been wondering what the difference between an "Engine" and "Wagon" to the point I've checked out the specs to see if it was certain equipment carried/not carried or if it were Wagons had had to have a certain amount of LDH or whatever & I couldn't figure it out.
    When you figure out the technical difference between a "Ladder" and a "Truck", you will have figured out the difference between an "Engine" and a "Wagon".

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzfireSolo View Post
    When you figure out the technical difference between a "Ladder" and a "Truck", you will have figured out the difference between an "Engine" and a "Wagon".
    Well said. I still would rather call it a pumper though

Speaking ONLY for MY early years here there was a difference. The Engine carried SOME hose,booster tank and the nozzless,Deck gun and the 2 Scotts.The WAGON carried hose,1800' of it, 250 tank,almost NO appliances,and two ground ladders. As the others have alluded it was a HOSE wagon,designed to connect a hydrant to the attack engine or connect Two Engines. GENERALLY didn't do anything else so it wasn't considered an Engine. T.C.

Thread Information