Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by hwoods View Post
    (Side Note-Mike... Missed you at the CFSI Bash..........
    Sorry, was hanging out in the lobby and kept running into people.

Forum Member

Might check western illnois university distance learning

And grand canyon college

And check this;;;;

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/nfa/higher_e...feshe_ddp.shtm

I received my B.S. in Occupational Safety & Health; concentration Fire Science from CSU in Oct 2009. This is all very discouraging to hear...

How do some fire departments not recognize this when CSU is endorsed by FDNY and some other major departments (Can't find the info now, but used to show if you worked for FDNY and other big city depts you got discounts).

In this case, would any of you recommend seeing what would transfer to say EKU and try to finish another bachelors there?

Forum Member

Would only say if you want a more advanced degree or want to be a chief officer, or sounds like if you want to EFO they may not take it

I am in the current hiring process for several departments, one especially (Charlotte) offers higher salary to those with a BS degree (as KyHunter stated). I would never want to be Chief as there is too much political/headaches that go along with that, maybe a training officer at best. Maybe if I transferred my credits to EKU, I could receive a more well accredited degree without having to take too many classes. I only took 10 classes at CSU as I did my other classes at an in-state university.

What is EFO?

Forum Member

Default CSU answers

Let me first say that I am attending CSU to finish my Bachelor's degree. The most important issue to note is that CSU is a nationally accredited college. Which means that the Department of Education recognizes the degree's as "college" degree's. If the VA pays for it, it is "good to go" for some people and agencies. The most important part of the equation is to ensure that your agency or potential agency recognizes the degree. Check on the CSU website at the learning partners page, this will tell you some of the corporations that accept it. The next step, is to call the HR office of the city or corporation you are attempting to apply for. The FD I work accepts degrees from CSU, and I get a substantial pay raise for having a bachelors. Secondly, I finished my Associates from a regionally accredited school and I will be the first to say that CSU's curriculum is nowhere near as hard as my Associates degree program. One of the replying posters stated that you can't transfer a CSU degree to a regionally accredited Master's program. This is not true, you just have to shop around. I finish my Bachelors within the next couple of months and I have been in contact with four major "brick and mortar" schools and only one of the four has said they will not accept a "nationally accredited" degree, which was Penn State. Now my disclaimer to the last sentence, I have not applied for these programs as of yet. I need to take the GRE and finish my last two classes, so the universities I have spoken to may do an "about face" and say no. I know without a doubt Grand Canyon University will accept a Bachelors from CSU though. A close friend just transferred from CSU with a B.A. and is now in the GCU masters program.

Forum Member

The NFA accepts CSU graduates now
    Last edited by Flash123; 03-27-2013 at 10:39 AM.

Thread Information