Like Tree5Likes

Thread: PAID vs PAID vs IAFF??? wow

MembersZone Subscriber

Only animosity I've seen are volunteers aimed towards career and it's always a few bad apples and never shared by the entire department.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    That's a good thing.
    Yes it is, but are you now a believer?

... And hell no on the group hug.
    Your loss.

MembersZone Subscriber

What does everybody think about this scenario..... An IAFF member works part-time at a combo department that is also an IAFF represented department. (Basically, IAFF members working part-time in another IAFF shop.) Now imagine this... those IAFF members working part-time have rank over the IAFF members at the combo department. (They also earn a significantly higher wage) The IAFF members working part-time occupy many promoted positions over the full-time IAFF members at the department.

Should this be an accepted practice?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ben3131 View Post
    What does everybody think about this scenario..... An IAFF member works part-time at a combo department that is also an IAFF represented department. (Basically, IAFF members working part-time in another IAFF shop.) Now imagine this... those IAFF members working part-time have rank over the IAFF members at the combo department. (They also earn a significantly higher wage) The IAFF members working part-time occupy many promoted positions over the full-time IAFF members at the department.

There's not enough info here. Maybe the part-timers have been there longer, and have more qualifications. It's up to the local that has the fulltimers to sort it out. My local asks for a yearly letter stating there is no conflict, from other locals that have our guys working part-time there.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ben3131 View Post

I agree that there's not enough information here to render an opinion. Are the PT personnel in question in this department's local also? Do the full-time personnel have the ability to hold the same ranks as the PT? What does "significantly higher wage" equate to as a difference to in hourly rate?

Forum Member

I had a similar scenario. I worked part time as a rescue officer for a while, and was not part of the local of a neighboring dept. I was over their guys, but we never had an issue, or at least it never got back to my scab self. Did it for about 6 months until admin decided to move the unit elsewhere over low call volume. The interesting part is that I was not union at all at that time. The guys all knew this, and were trying to change by-laws to get me in, but then the truck went tits up.

Thread Information