Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Our resident Kraut Wagon salesman!

I just saw our big, loveable, huggable KrautWagon salesman. He was peddaling his wares at the Spring Thaw in Allentown, Pa. We chatted for about a half-hour. Getting ready to leave soon on a Metz tour of the great, white North. He said to say hello to everyone!
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

No idea what your talking about?
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

TRANSLATION: Buff saw our Lovable missing Metz salesman Tony talimonte at a recent event in Pa. Some of us had been worried,we hadn't seen or heard from Tony in awhile. "Krautwagon"..........Metz(Ger man) Ladder. T.C.

His screen name is redbaron. Go here for some comic relief.

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...highlight=Metz (They'll let anyone in here........)

Still say it's FASTER than your Ladder,hehe T.C.

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Still say it's FASTER than your Ladder,hehe T.C.
    His Demo? The one that he spec'd the drivetrain for? The one that he spec'd the drivetrain for, for the demo that he drives from Timbuktu and back and from hither to yonder and back as a career?

I got to drive it once. Let's just say I'm smart enough not to drag race him in it.

Quote Originally Posted by FWDbuff View Post
    His Demo? The one that he spec'd the drivetrain for? The one that he spec'd the drivetrain for, for the demo that he drives from Timbuktu and back and from hither to yonder and back as a career?

I got to drive it once. Let's just say I'm smart enough not to drag race him in it.
    Not the Chassis,Dummy; THE LADDER! And you aren't that SPECIAL,I drove it all over the Springfield show, got some good aerial shots too. T.C.

Not the Chassis,Dummy; THE LADDER! And you aren't that SPECIAL,I drove it all over the Springfield show, got some good aerial shots too. T.C.
    I never flew the aerial. Not interested.

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

I never flew the aerial. Not interested.
    Damn, as much you hate that effing thing, I figured you'd at least have taken time to fly it and make a good comparison on it. One of the smoothest, fastest aerials I've ever flown. When we get funding for our first aerial at the VFD next year, I'm going to make a strong pitch for it.

In other news, I felt bad for Tony when I ran into him at FDIC, standing outside in a 40-degree snow squall flying his stick along with the T-Rex. Buy that man some long underwear!
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Get over your Supersized prejudice. Very nice,very functional. Fits where few can. I got more cart time than I have seat time. T.C.

Forum Member

I spent two days with my good friend Tony last week.

Always a good time!

I was thrilled to see Tony at FDIC where we got to speak briefly. Few people that I've come across in my short span of selling apparatus have impacted me like Tony, so it was good to see him well. My only regret is that we couldn't speak more. (Thanks again Tony for giving my cohorts the ride of their lives in the shopping cart. It was fun hearing the people in line whine why "those" guys got to be up there so long.)

A funny little tidbit, speaking with some of the Metz boys that were outside at the show, Tony's days of torturing the rear tires of his demo units are now done with the advent of stability control and traction control. (For those that don't know, he'd floor the demo at full steering lock, get the inside rear dual "light" and burn rubber in a smoking donut that was beyond description.) I'll bet a little piece of Tony died when that trick came out of his usual playbook...

There's more stories I could tell, but I'll save them. I sure miss that character.
    "Share your knowledge - it's a way to achieve immortality." - Stolen from Chase Sargent's Buddy to Boss program

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Damn, as much you hate that effing thing, I figured you'd at least have taken time to fly it and make a good comparison on it.
    Get over your Supersized prejudice. Very nice,very functional. Fits where few can. I got more cart time than I have seat time. T.C.
    Show me where I said I hate Metz Aerials. Much like Pierce, I think they build a fine machine. But again, I am just not convinced it's for the American fire service, and I am CERTAINLY not ready to give up my complement of ground ladders in favor of the technology. If other Agencies have beholded the Metz Aerial and have adapted to utilize one in their operations, I commend them. Were I in a position to dictate what an agency purchases for an aerial device, I am sorry but I would recommend against purchasing a Metz.

Show me where I said I hate Metz Aerials.
    Ok, maybe you didn't use those words, but the mere mention of a Metz ("KrautWagon") aerial solicits a strong reply from you.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Ok, maybe you didn't use those words, but the mere mention of a Metz ("KrautWagon") aerial solicits a strong reply from you.
    I could say the same about you any time I post something that is even remotely negative about Piece.

I could say the same about you any time I post something that is even remotely negative about Piece.
    Call me a Kool Aid drinker all you want, I simply get tired of the Pierce bashing. As I've stated numerous times over the year, I get tired of bashing any manufacturer...they all produce some excellent rigs, and some that are piles of excrement. However, it gets old that as soon as Brand P gets mentioned on the board, the discussion immediately turns to Kool-Aid, brand loyalty, etc, etc, etc - and I'm not singling you out on this, it's plenty of people that do it.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Show me where I said I hate Metz Aerials. Much like Pierce, I think they build a fine machine. But again, I am just not convinced it's for the American fire service, and I am CERTAINLY not ready to give up my complement of ground ladders in favor of the technology. If other Agencies have beholded the Metz Aerial and have adapted to utilize one in their operations, I commend them. Were I in a position to dictate what an agency purchases for an aerial device, I am sorry but I would recommend against purchasing a Metz.
    Sigh. Look at anyone elses STANDARD Ground ladder load on a quint or even a Spec conventional Ladder. Then look at the Standard load on a Metz. I bet there isn't ONE ladder difference. I have a "Heavy"load of ground ladders on the Smeal,the Metz I specced had (1) ONE less ladder. You CAN play with the Ground Ladder load a little you know. General safety DOES know how, within the torque box limitations. Do you carry ladders on your ENGINE? WHY does the Ladder have to carry three miles of them? Around here there will be 4 Engines to every Truck so it makes sense(to ME) to hang a few ladders on THEM. NOT that that happens in your village(YA RIGHT).

*groan* do we have to have this catfight again? I didn't even bring it up this time.

Forum Member

Do you carry ladders on your ENGINE?
    I'll try to beat him to the punch.

E11 - 120 ft.
    E11-1 - 95 ft.

Forum Member

I took the opportunity to seek out Tony at FDIC this year and say hi. Was a nice conversation though a bit nippy outside the stadium (ditto on the need for long underwear). Never really met the man before though he did have an early version of the shopping cart at a fire school in my area many years back. Great guy and will always be welcome if he is in my neck of the woods.

Thread Information