Forum Member

Question Chances of brush truck from 2011 AFG?

Hi All,

While I haven't posted much, I'm a frequent visitor of the board - trying to soak up as much information as possible. I'm hoping those of you with AFG vehicle grant experience might be able to provide feedback on our chances for a brush truck. Right now we have a 1984 mil-surplus pickup that has a pump/tank skid loaded in the back. The body is starting to rust badly, it runs poorly, has maintenance issues and can only have one person onboard (driver) before it will exceed the marked GVW.

My department is a combination Fire/EMS department with ambulances. We do about 6000 runs a year (mostly ambulance) and a few brush fires, but not all that many. Even though we don't have many brush fires, the brush truck is critical as we have large forest, marsh and vegitative areas where we have no chance of getting a Class 1 pumper anywhere close. From what I've read here and in the past PGs, the vehicle itself should qualify for replacement, but I'm concerned about our "applicant characteristics."

My main concern is that our fleet is too new. We have 6 pumpers (purchased:1987,1991,1993,2005,2007&2011) and 1 tower ladder (2002). Like many departments, we are currently experiencing significant financial difficulties. The reason that our fleet is relatively new is because we've put our funding to cover our bread and butter (engines and ambulances). For instance, the pumper we acquired this year was to replace a 1985 unit that was built on an oil truck chassis and the cab was rotting off (rust issues up north). There is no money to put towards a brush truck, especially where we have a significant possibility of having to close one of our three (3) stations to save money.

In looking at our needs, we've come up with 3 potential solutions:
    1. A brand new custom truck. However, we don't believe this is the best use of anyone's funding given the current financial environment
    2. A used/previously owned brush truck (purpose built and NFPA compliant at time of manufacture). I've been able to find 2-4yr old used trucks that would fit our needs for $50-80K.
    3. Another thought that came to mind was to spend some money refurbishing the pump/tank skid that is in the existing truck and putting it in a new F450/550-type chassis.

Would any you guru's mind weighing in? Given past experiences, do we have a chance at all? I'm going to assume that #1 is out of the realm of possibilities. Would #2 or #3 be possibilities? If so, is one more likely to be accepted than the other?

Thanks so much for your time and input!

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by eladrrats View Post
    Hi All,

While I haven't posted much, I'm a frequent visitor of the board - trying to soak up as much information as possible. I'm hoping those of you with AFG vehicle grant experience might be able to provide feedback on our chances for a brush truck. Right now we have a 1984 mil-surplus pickup that has a pump/tank skid loaded in the back. The body is starting to rust badly, it runs poorly, has maintenance issues and can only have one person onboard (driver) before it will exceed the marked GVW.

My department is a combination Fire/EMS department with ambulances. We do about 6000 runs a year (mostly ambulance) and a few brush fires, but not all that many. Even though we don't have many brush fires, the brush truck is critical as we have large forest, marsh and vegitative areas where we have no chance of getting a Class 1 pumper anywhere close. From what I've read here and in the past PGs, the vehicle itself should qualify for replacement, but I'm concerned about our "applicant characteristics."

My main concern is that our fleet is too new. We have 6 pumpers (purchased:1987,1991,1993,2005,2007&2011) and 1 tower ladder (2002). Like many departments, we are currently experiencing significant financial difficulties. The reason that our fleet is relatively new is because we've put our funding to cover our bread and butter (engines and ambulances). For instance, the pumper we acquired this year was to replace a 1985 unit that was built on an oil truck chassis and the cab was rotting off (rust issues up north). There is no money to put towards a brush truck, especially where we have a significant possibility of having to close one of our three (3) stations to save money.

In looking at our needs, we've come up with 3 potential solutions:
    1. A brand new custom truck. However, we don't believe this is the best use of anyone's funding given the current financial environment
    2. A used/previously owned brush truck (purpose built and NFPA compliant at time of manufacture). I've been able to find 2-4yr old used trucks that would fit our needs for $50-80K.
    3. Another thought that came to mind was to spend some money refurbishing the pump/tank skid that is in the existing truck and putting it in a new F450/550-type chassis.

Would any you guru's mind weighing in? Given past experiences, do we have a chance at all? I'm going to assume that #1 is out of the realm of possibilities. Would #2 or #3 be possibilities? If so, is one more likely to be accepted than the other?

Thanks so much for your time and input!
    A key question needs to be answered. What is your classification under AFG; urban, suburban, or rural?

If you are classified urban or suburban you will have no chance at all. Under Urban a brush truck is classified a Priority 3 and Suburban Priority 2; for the most part only Priority 1 vehicles are funded.
    Last edited by onebugle; 04-17-2011 at 07:13 PM.

Forum Member

Talking

How many brush/woods fires have you documented over each of the last 3 years?
    How many acres burned?

Your fleet average age isn't going to help you very much in the scoring process.

If this is your greatest need then by all means apply for it...... But Don't get your heart set on being awarded due to the reduction in available funds for trucks.

You don't stand a chance of winning if you don't try!

Thread Information