Thread: New Poly Thread

Forum Member

Angry New Poly Thread

Last edited by deadbear271; 02-15-2013 at 03:16 AM.

Forum Member

Oh god not another polygraph thread....Nobody on here is gonna be able to answer your question. There is one way to find out though, wait and see if you here something back!!!

Forum Member

Default My experience...

Quote Originally Posted by deadbear271 View Post
    I just took my first polygraph today. I spilled my guts of the normal adolescent mischief and stupidities. I was honest for the test and also very confident. All of a sudden when the test was over the examiner asks me why there were irregularities on the question about my work history. I admitted everything to him before the test and was completely shocked. He asked me what I was thinking of during the questioning. I explained that throughout the test I was thinking about church, which relaxed me. He proceeded to ask if I had studied ways to beat the polygraph. WTF. Is this one irregularity that shouldn't exist going to screw me? Is this just their technique to try to get you to confess more?
    Hey deadbear, I had a similar experience on one of my polys.

After the guy unhooked me, he said that he showed a reaction (or whatever he called it) to the drug question. I was completely shocked because I have never touched a drug in my life. I said there is no way that is correct and asked to be hooked back up and retested. He said "no, that's alright." and then said the test was concluded and I was free to go.

Although it's just my opinion and I have nothing to support it, I later thought that this was an off the record question to see how I reacted to his question: whether I would act like I was caught or act shocked. I passed this poly BTW so it must not have been anything.

Also for a diff poly I was asked if I had studied techniques to beat a poly. I was honest and told him that I had read up on what to expect so I could be more calm during the test, but that I didn't believe there were ways (that worked like in the movies) to beat the test. My guy had a laugh at that and seemed like it was an acceptable answer. I passed that one too.

Hopefully this helps calm your nerves, but it's normal (at least with every one that I have had) to walk out wondering if something stupid is going to screw you. Best of luck to you!
    Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Forum Member

Polygraph experiences will vary. Operators work people differently. It is essentially theater. The goal is to stress you, then get you talking and changing your story. We often got most confessions or admissions before a poly was started.

As for the process, I really doubt that a poor showing on the poly alone would toss an applicant. A good background is essential. (Ted Bundy could pass any poly!).

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by yardbirdjack View Post
    As for the process, I really doubt that a poor showing on the poly alone would toss an applicant.
    Are you suggesting that a FD would ignore a failed poly for a candidate who otherwise has a clean history? If so, what is the point of even doing a poly? That basically amounts to admitting that the results of any polygraph are inaccurate.

Forum Member

Most departments I've tested with that have done a poly used the poly results to focus in on different areas of the background. It's a dated, hokey science and I'm surprised departments still use it. And yes, I've passed every one I've taken and my background is clean, not just saying this because I'm jaded.

Forum Member

The psych and poly aren't designed as a day at the beach.

Quite common to use this smoke screen to get you to confess to something.

Here’s another example:

DM: I had a poly today. There were six pages of questions asked verbally by him before he hooked up the poly. When hooked up, there where only ten questions asked 3x in different order each set. DM

All seemed to go well until the end when the examiner asked me:

"Anything you want to tell me about the question you had a problem with?"

Me (puzzled) "NO"

Again he asked as he began to take the equipment off me.

Me (really puzzled now).."I can't think of anything"

Then he proceeds to tell me that there was one particular question that I had elevation on.

Should I consider or was this all a smoke screen to get a boring person to confess to something?

Smoke screen???? He passed.

FF/PM1 Wrote in this previous posting:

Yes, I was asked if I had researched polygraphs in my pre-interview, but not in the actual polygraph exam. The examiner asked me why I researched polygraphs? Was I going to manipulate it? I said of course not, but I always study before going into a test, I knew nothing about polygraphs prior to my hiring process and wanted to know what they are about.

While I am a big advocate of honesty in the hiring process, I am also an advocate on RESEARCH prior to entering into a new portion of the hiring process.

This does not make you a "cheater" or "dishonest" for wanting to know what you are getting yourself into, just thorough.

I researched every step of my hiring process. I learned everything I could about interviews, medicals, psych exams, polygraphs, backgrounds...not because I was trying to manipulate the system with deception or dishonesty, but I wanted to know what is next.

Honesty was the foundation of everything during my hiring process. I used this formula.....

If asked, a truthful answer was always given.

If asked a question, I would answer the question honestly then be quiet.

All other times I sat there with my mouth shut.

I have had friends fail polygraphs, not because they were dishonest, but they were not educated for what they were getting into. They sat down and were honest, but when answering one of the polygrpaher's questions, they would answer the question and then ADD additional info not even asked for. This ultimately led to their demise.

Learning about a polygraph does not mean I am trying to cheat it. Were you trying to cheat by going to fire stations and finding out what types of questions may be asked on the oral interview? No, you just wanted to be prepared.

Be honest, be prepared and be consistent.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Last edited by deadbear271; 02-15-2013 at 03:17 AM.

Forum Member

The lesson here is to be prepared for every step of the hiring process before you show up.

"Nothing counts 'til you have the badge . . . Nothing!"

Fire "Captain Bob"

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptBob View Post
    The lesson here is to be prepared for every step of the hiring process before you show up.
    And the best way to do that is to ignore anything Capt$pam tells you...
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"

The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

ljm
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
    And the best way to do that is to ignore anything Capt$pam tells you...
    Seems a bit harsh. I've used his stuff and recommend it actually. It might seem like common sense, but when you have never been to oral board or gone through any step of the process of trying to get hired on to a department it comes in handy...at least it did for me.

Thread Information