Forum Member

Default iamrepsonding.com

Does any of you use iamrepsonding.com? Is it any good? How useful is it really for day to day operation? Are there any alternatives out there?

Let's talk fire trucks!

We use it, with monitors placed in each fire station, the dispatch office, and fire administration office so all personnel can be aware of who's responding and to where. I really like having it, it allows for better staffing decision making.

Also check:
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...=iamresponding (Firefighter Response System)
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...=iamresponding (How long do we wait for volunteers to arrive?)

These (and alternate) systems have been discussed here in the past.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

Default iamresponding.com

We use it up here in Idaho. I've heard from the troops that it's a fine addition. Personally it lets me know who and where everyone is going and as Fire Commissioner that is really handy.
    Respectfully,
    Jay Dudley
    Retired Fire
    Background Investigator
    IACOJ-Member
    Lifetime Member CSFA
    IAFF Alumni Member

MembersZone Subscriber

We use it at our dept here in illlinois and i also help other dept get setup with the trials and show them what it can do. The most important is showing who is respnding to the call but inside the program for who ever tracks or tryes to track all equipment and unit expirations and stuff it is a life saver. as you can tell that is me here and it makes my life a lot simpler. The people there are good and very open and i think the cost to get it is best out there. After our 2 month trial 4 of my ff ofered to pay for it if board would not that tell the good of it. dont know where u are but feel free to contact me and will help u get a trial set, its free so go for it.
    Randy Meyer Chief S.T.F.P.D.

Forum Member

we use it here .............also got 2 other departments converted to it............if we had a REAL dispatch center it would be the cats meow !
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

My experience with the program is it has proven to be unreliable.
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

It's not perfect but if you want to argue that topic, it's better than not knowing who's coming to your station. It doesn't make things any worse than they are without it, so if you can afford it, I say go for it. It is another tool to speed your response time and allows drivers to have more info. You have to have a high speed internet connection, a PC to use and monitors. You can get one or one for each truck, whatever.

You can send bulk texts to one, all or a group of members that have cells as well.

Let's talk fire trucks!

Quote Originally Posted by NY911Bowhunter View Post
    My experience with the program is it has proven to be unreliable.
    What has your department experienced that's made it unreliable?
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

MembersZone Subscriber

We use it.

Beyond the call-in program, all duty crews are entered into the system, so at any given time you can see who is on duty. When we have weather events, we have a seperate category we enter the members on standby into so that after the event we can track total man-hours.

We also use the mass messaging text/email feature for training and shift coverage announcements. In addition, we have many members who have set up the dispatch feature to send a message to their wireless devices.

I think its a great program, and everything we have asked of them has been done in very short order. I recommend it highly.

Forum Member

My department uses it as well. We love it. It allows officers to make better decisions on which truck to roll based on what the drivers listed as responding are qualified to drive. It also allows the officer to hold a truck back an extra 30 seconds if he sees there's someone coming with more experience in a particular situation they may be responding to, or just another FF to fill out a crew.

We purchased the system on a trial basis and then stuck with it.

MembersZone Subscriber

We've used it for a few years.. good program. We haven't turned on the dispatch information capability, but I believe that's in the works.

My only complaint is that I wish we could just get the data from the servers so we could drive our own displays/interfaces versus using the web page provided. Don't get me wrong, theirs is very good and does 90% of what we want. The biggest complaint is some form of auto-login, for unmanned station displays.. and multipurpose screens that show IAR plus weather maps, dispatch info, and highway camera video.
    So you call this your free country
    Tell me why it costs so much to live
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    What has your department experienced that's made it unreliable?
    I dont want to go into it too deeply, so I apologize for opening the can of worms, but MY experiences with it, when I needed to use it to call back off duty manpower for fires we have had multiple different problems. Unable to connect, timely log on, (we HADa computer already logged on and ready to go, but would freeze, old machoine FWIW), intermeiitent reciept of messages...

Again, i cant go too deeply into detail as I do not want to badmouth the company, the software, or my city's decision to use it...if it works as promisied, it would be great.
    FTM - BTB - KTF

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    We've used it for a few years.. good program. We haven't turned on the dispatch information capability, but I believe that's in the works.

My only complaint is that I wish we could just get the data from the servers so we could drive our own displays/interfaces versus using the web page provided. Don't get me wrong, theirs is very good and does 90% of what we want. The biggest complaint is some form of auto-login, for unmanned station displays.. and multipurpose screens that show IAR plus weather maps, dispatch info, and highway camera video.
    I'd like to see some different color options. We have 2 stations using it and would like to easily separate guys and stations, meaning one station members be black, one be green, etc.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by Bones42 View Post
    I'd like to see some different color options. We have 2 stations using it and would like to easily separate guys and stations, meaning one station members be black, one be green, etc.
    I like that idea.. we've run into the same thing with 3 stations.

I understand the position the company is in. They try to create a general purposes front end that works for everyone.. and for the most part they've successfully done that. But they're never going to make everyone happy. Some want simple, some want Gobs-o-features..etc.

Instead of trying to design a web interface that makes everyone happy they could make the data available and let the smart people on the FD side build their own interface that is specific to what they want to do.

Note: We've never had the stability/connection problems mentioned above other then a planned outage that they notified us of ahead of time. That's one very nice thing about them.. once we got all the phone numbers and options set up the system "just worked".
    -3dd

Forum Member

Thanks for all the answers guys. Do you just look at the status at the fire station or do you also check out the status on your phone? This way the chief could alert additionel personnel even before he gets to the station or scene.

From what I understand you can call two phone numbers. One is to simpy tell that you are coming. When you call the other one you get a selection like "going directly to the scene" or "coming in 5 min", right? Do you ever use the second option?
    What do you think about it pricewise? Any clue how big the discount for smaller stations is?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by koechler View Post
    From what I understand you can call two phone numbers. One is to simpy tell that you are coming. When you call the other one you get a selection like "going directly to the scene" or "coming in 5 min", right? Do you ever use the second option?
    This is the first I've heard that there are two numbers. We only use a single number to log all responses. The way it works is that there are nine 'options' that the department can set up. Each member also has a 'default' set. If the member dials he can enter 1-9 for the appropriate option, or just hang up and the system will use that member's default. 100% of the time I've only used the default. Too hard to remember the other options.

Typically we only have the screen up on the kiosk at the station, though technically the chiefs can also pull it up from the MDT in their vehicles. It could also be pulled up on a Smartphone, but this is a bit of a PITA.. too many steps to log in on a small screen. Maybe if they had an iphone app..
    -3dd

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by voyager9 View Post
    It could also be pulled up on a Smartphone, but this is a bit of a PITA.. too many steps to log in on a small screen. Maybe if they had an iphone app..
    Hi all, Dan Seidberg from IamResponding.com here....

I just want to offer 2 quick clarifications:

First, there IS a dedicated mobile site for accessing IamResponding.com on any smart phone. Unlike the desktop version which does not store user names and passwords for security purposes, the mobile site does. Therefore, as long as your phone is configured to accept cookies, you only ever need to log into the mobile site one time. Then either bookmark it, or set it as your home page. You can then go directly to it, without having to log in again.

If you're on an iPhone, you might be getting sent directly to the desktop version on your phone. If that's the case, navigate instead to www.iamresponding.com/selection.aspx, and then select access for mobile.

Second, there was a reference above to a reliability issue which appears to have been a user-end computer issue. Our support team is always available to assist with any issues, even if they are user-end computer issues. We are confident that there is no more reliable web-based network in this industry. To date, our system has processed more than 1.8 million phone calls, more than 18 million scheduled shift hours, and has successfully transmitted more than 10 million outbound messages.

With any other questions, please feel free to contact us through our website at any time, and we also encourage any interested departments to try our free, 60-day trial, with no contract and no commitment.

Thanks, and be safe,
    Dan Seidberg
    President, IamResponding.com

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by dseidberg View Post
    Hi all, Dan Seidberg from IamResponding.com here....

First, there IS a dedicated mobile site for accessing IamResponding.com on any smart phone. Unlike the desktop version which does not store user names and passwords for security purposes, the mobile site does. Therefore, as long as your phone is configured to accept cookies, you only ever need to log into the mobile site one time. Then either bookmark it, or set it as your home page. You can then go directly to it, without having to log in again.
    Dan. Thanks for the clarification. I do stand corrected. It had been a while since I tried the mobile site. Once I authenticated my credentials were reused on subsequent logins. That wasn't the case last time I tried it. I still had to hit the 'Login' link at the top of the first page, though. One enhancement would be to auto-redirect to the customer page if the cookie is stored to save that step. Either way, thanks.
    -3dd

Thread Information