Forum Member

Post HELP? RIT History and Major Incidents

I'm trying to write a paper about RIT teams and their importance in the fire service, but i'm having a hard time finding sources online. I know it started as a result of haz-mat ops, and that the first one was in jacksonville, but I'm having a hard time finding more specific information on the history. I'm also having a hard time finding major incidents where RIT's served a major role online. I believe Worchester may have been one?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, google has not be my friend any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

MembersZone Subscriber
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Firehog5 View Post
    I'm trying to write a paper about RIT teams and their importance in the fire service, but i'm having a hard time finding sources online. I know it started as a result of haz-mat ops, and that the first one was in jacksonville, but I'm having a hard time finding more specific information on the history. I'm also having a hard time finding major incidents where RIT's served a major role online. I believe Worchester may have been one?

Please correct me if i'm wrong, google has not be my friend any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated!

Here is four that I got when I Googled - rit teams fire!

http://www.fireengineering.com/index...you-ready.html

http://www.usfa.dhs.gov/downloads/pd...ons/tr-123.pdf

http://www.firetactics.com/RIT.htm

http://www.firefightingincanada.com/...view/2260/213/
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

I really appreciate the help! that usfa article is awesome

Forum Member

You might want to try searching for the Brett Tarver incident in Phoenix, lots of good statistics on RIT teams. Phoenix FD did a study after the incident took place.

Forum Member

Default Rit

I can recall when the Chief/s would have a company or companies (depending on the size of the fire &/or type/size of the building) standing by in case of an emergency distress call. It was something that was done here and probably all over the country. If something happened, those particular companies were activated and conducted search & rescue operations as deemed necessary.
    Now we have to have new names for things we always had, fancy acronyms to describe the latest name, and “specialized” training in how to conduct searches, because as you know, searching for a firefighter is so much different than searching for a resident. Meanwhile, people get “certified” to train the latest or more accurate, re-named technique and Walla! A new cottage industry is created, needing new “experts” to teach “New” techniques to us uninformed souls.
    RIT's not new it's just a new name.

Forum Member

First "RIT Team" ??.... Rescue Co. 1 , NYC, Established in 1915 for the sole purpose of rescuing trapped firefighters.
    Last edited by MattyJ; 04-21-2011 at 12:21 AM.

Thread Information