Forum Member

Default Accelerated EMT – B Program (14 days)

Folks,

Everyone is asking for it……. so here it is.....a TRUE (14 day) EMT-B course from June 16th, 2011 - June 29th, 2011 Virginia state test on the 30th of June, 2011.

Accelerated EMT – B Program

Dates: June 16th, 2011 – June 29th, 2011 (14 Days)

Time: 9am-6pm

Location: Commonwealth Criminal Justice Academy, 1380 Central Park Blvd, Suite # 208 Fredericksburg, Va. 22401

Prerequisites:

1. Student must be 16 years of age or older before the start of the course.
    2. Hold an approved cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course at the beginning date of the course. This certification must also be current at the time of state testing. (CCJA will offer this training before
    this course for those enrolled and paid who need
    this training at no cost.)

Cost: $1,200.00 (This does not include Books and State or National test fees)

Coordinator: Charles A. Williams NREMT-P

Registration: Call (540) 322-3000 or e-mail ccjatraining@gmail.com

Books:

Required text:

Mosby's EMT-Basic Textbook Revised 2nd Edition Revised
    W. Stoy, T. Platt, D. Lejeune and the Center for Emergency Medicine, published by Mosby

Required text:

Mosby's EMT-Basic Workbook 2nd Edition
    W. Stoy, T. Platt, D. Lejeune and the Center for Emergency Medicine, published by Mosby.

Program description:

Emergency Medical Technician – Basic (4 year certification)

The Emergency Medical Technician – Basic course is designed to provide training to prepare an individual to function independently in a medical emergency. This course provides the basic knowledge and skills needed to provide basic life support (BLS) care and is required to progress to more advanced levels of pre-hospital patient care.

The course requires a minimum of 111 hours of classroom and skills instruction and 10 hours of Clinical/Field rotations for a total of 121 hours of training.

Virginia Certification requires successful completion of a written and practical skills examination. This course is designed to train individuals to serve as a vital link in the chain of the health care team.

Student will be eligible to set for Virginia EMT-Basic exam Note: reciprocity available to the take National Registry Exam after gaining Virginia certification.

This includes all skills necessary to provide emergency medical care as an attendant-in-charge with a basic life support ambulance service or other specialized rescue service.

Upon successfully completion of the training program, the student will be capable of performing the following functions:

(1) Recognize the nature and seriousness of the patient’s condition or extent of injury to assess requirements for emergency care.

(2) Administer appropriate emergency care to stabilize the patient’s condition.

(3) Lift, move, position and otherwise handle the patient in a way as to minimize discomfort and further injury.

The EMT-Basic curriculum will be based upon the DOT National Standard Curriculum for the EMT-Basic (1994 edition) and the 2002 Supplemental Airway Modules for the 1994 EMT-Basic National Standard Curriculum. The EMT-Basic will be trained and proficient in all skills described in the DOT National Standard Curriculum for the EMT-Basic (1994 edition) and the 2002 Supplemental modules for the EMT-Basic: National Standard Curriculum.

To register or for more information Contact:

Tom Perroni (540) 322-3000 / (540) 846-7088
    ccjatraining@gmail.com
    www.ccjatraining.com

Recommended Hotel:
    Fredericksburg Hospitality House
    www.fredericksburghospitalityhouse.com
    2801 Plank Rd
    Fredericksburg, VA 22401
    (540) 786-8321
    CCJA Training Rate: $70.00 per night single occupant

"Trust me, I'm a medic"

The “State of the Art” in medicine is constantly changing –unlearn outdated medical training @ CCJA.

Forum Member

14 days? eeesh.....
    "If the ladder goes up, the building goes down."

Forum Member

$1200?! Criminy, I paid less tham $500 for my EMT Basic less than 3 yrs ago!! Holy crap!

Forum Member

So, someone pays $1200 to get the EMT-B ticket in 14 days? And you would expect them to be a practicing EMT? I would be scared to wind up being sick or injured in the state of Virginia and have an EMT take care of me that sat through a 14 day course.

There is no way that someone could learn the National Standard Curriculum in that short of a time period and effectively provide treatment. Unless they're Rain Man or something.

MembersZone Subscriber

Day 1-13 - learn how to operate the radio.
    Day 14 - Practice saying "Please send ALS"

- Must have a heck of a good instructor to pump out street capable EMTs in that short of a timeframe. Good luck to whoever's going.
    Hug a firefighter and feel warm all over

Forum Member

In this economy, everyone's pumping out new and inventive ways to take peoples money, even at the expense of a patient's well being. There are some things you just can't rush, and EMT school is one of them. Kinda similar to medical school, I don't want a Dr. who took the "fast track" program in order to graduate even sooner than he should in the first place.

No thanks. Gimme the EMT who went through a traditional program and took the time to study. This is one of the reasons EMS doesn't get taken seriously in the medical field.

Thanks for hurting our industry even more than it already is.
    Pete

Forum Member

Default My $0.02

This has been beat to death over and over and over again......

Here is the last thread with info:

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=112194 (Accelerated EMT – B Program 14 Days 2/8/10)

We teach this course to many U.S.Gov and Military groups with great success!

We have been offering this to the "Open Enrollment Civilian" market for several years with great success.

121 hours is 121 hours no matter how you do it 14 days or 9 months.....
    However please note the local Vol Rescue runs the 9 month program and has nowhere near the pass rate we have.....and yes once they pass the Virginia test they can take the National Registry test.

Forum Member

Default To Beat a Dead Horse

Quote Originally Posted by DCJS Instructor View Post
    121 hours is 121 hours no matter how you do it 14 days or 9 months.....
    However please note the local Vol Rescue runs the 9 month program and has nowhere near the pass rate we have.....and yes once they pass the Virginia test they can take the National Registry test.

So you'd be just as comfortable allowing an MD to assess and treat you regardless if they went to school for 10 years or did the same amount of hours in 5 years? Just as long as they pass their test correct?

Testing results aside, and there are plenty of other reasons why your program has a higher pass rate than another, cramming for 121 hours does not allow for any retention and it's only value is measured in the ability to pass a test does not equal good care.

No other medical profession (if you can actually call EMS a profession) has the amount of accelerated programs as EMTs or Paramedics. It is pretty sad to see the education requirements, that are already at one of the lowest standards of any industrialized nation, continue to degrad itself with these sort of programs. I would hope anyone truely interested in a career, certainally one with as much riding on the line as an emergecny medical responder, would take the time to properly educate themselves and not rush through it as quickly as possibly.

Good luck with your program, one in which the only good it should be used for is some sort of bridge program for an individual with a much higher medical educational background.
    In Loving Memory of Paramedic Doug Odgers
    8.18.87-5.8.11
    RIP

Forum Member

Are you sure the VADEMS will accept your class and test results?

I'm not sure FXCO would accept it, if it was on a silver platter.

Forum Member

The discussion over the length of the course comes up for paramedic courses as well. There are several very fine courses in which you are only in the classroom for 12 weeks. The 5th oldest paramedic program in the country runs an accelerated version, 12 weeks in the classroom and roughly 12 weeks of clinical and field rotation. Obv 12 weeks of classroom time is not a lot but after the classroom time they spend extensive amounts of time in a level 1 trauma center, on 48 hour runs with EMS that frequently get 30+ calls (48 hour shifts) and they even spend time in a pediatric trauma center.

Most people would scoff at the idea of 12 weeks of class and you can get your paramedic but when you look at some of these accelerated programs they are of very good quality.

Now there are obviously some bad ones too...can't judge this one (accelerated basic) by the cover but I'm just trying to make the point that the time is not everything

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one View Post
    So you'd be just as comfortable allowing an MD to assess and treat you regardless if they went to school for 10 years or did the same amount of hours in 5 years? Just as long as they pass their test correct?
    Oh please, overstating it just a bit...

EMT Basic is basic. CPR is the hardest part.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

FossilMedic

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnee View Post
    Are you sure the VADEMS will accept your class and test results?

I'm not sure FXCO would accept it, if it was on a silver platter.
    1) It is the Virginia Office of EMS. Since this program has repeatedly been run in the Commonwealth, pretty sure it is accepted. Contact Greg Neiman and ask.

2) Call Captain II Richard Yuras and ask. I DOUBT that there is any issue. Silver Platter not required.

but, what would *I* know ....
    former EMT Programs manager for Fairfax County Fire and Rescue

PS: EMT-Basic courses in Washington DC are $2000 to $4000

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Oh please, overstating it just a bit...

EMT Basic is basic. CPR is the hardest part.
    It is only basic because we as a nation, dumb EMS down to the lowest common denomantor. Our EMTs/paramedics are the least educated comparred to AUS, UK, Canada, etc... but that is for another discussion.

Also not sure what exactly is difficult about CPR and also considering that almost all EMT classes require you to have a CPR card before entering.

Back In Black

Quote Originally Posted by terrible one View Post
    It is only basic because we as a nation, dumb EMS down to the lowest common denomantor. Our EMTs/paramedics are the least educated comparred to AUS, UK, Canada, etc... but that is for another discussion.

Also not sure what exactly is difficult about CPR and also considering that almost all EMT classes require you to have a CPR card before entering.
    It is not "dumbed down"... it is the perfect level of training for the minor runs that make up the majority of ambulance calls... Adding ALS when needed makes sense, IMO.

Nothing is difficult about CPR... hence, my point.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

I respect your opinion, however, I disagree. EMT / paramedic textbooks are written at a tenth grade level and typically taught by an "instructor" whose qualifications are usually nothing more than X number of years on the job instead of possesing an advanced degree with intrict knowledge of the course subjects. EMTs / paramedics need to remove themselves from "training" and gravitate towards "educating".
    But again these are all topics for another thread.
    Last edited by terrible one; 07-14-2011 at 11:03 PM.
    In Loving Memory of Paramedic Doug Odgers
    8.18.87-5.8.11
    RIP

Forum Member

Default Accelerated EMT – B Program (14 days)

How was the program DCJS

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bessie11 View Post
    How was the program DCJS
    Thanks for asking! 10 students took the test, 9 students passed the first time out. We had one student who had some issue with long bone. (Former NREMT-P who let his cert laps) re-tested and passed.

The average test score was an 89% all students passed the written test.

I stress to my students that once they get certified and then need to become precepted by working with an experienced provider...that's when the true learning happens.

This course is not for everyone.....You have to come to this course and want to learn and work hard!

Fairfax now uses another company.....but not for long.....

Not only does VA OEMS accept it so does:

Fairfax County
    P.W. County
    Caroline County
    Stafford County
    City of Fredericksburg
    King George County
    Spotsylvania County

We have trained students from the above depts. in Basic as well as ALS courses

"Trust me, I'm a medic"

The “State of the Art” in medicine is constantly changing –unlearn outdated medical training @ CCJA.
    Last edited by DCJS Instructor; 07-20-2011 at 12:58 AM.

Thread Information