Forum Member

Default Medic School or Fire Academy first?

Hey everyone,

I currently work as an EMT-B for AMR San Diego and am working towards the eventual career of Fire/Medic and I need some advice. I know the competition is tough out there and it looks good to have your Fire 1 on your resume. But I hear from some people that it's not necesary and to focus on getting through medic school and getting experience as a medic. I hear from other to go through the academy before medic school to have it on my resume, and that way I won't have to take off time as a medic to go through an academy...what's the best choice? What are the hiring personnel looking for these days at fire departments?

On a second note what do you guys know about San Francisco City College paramedic and fire academy programs? I'm looking into going there for both come January. Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.

Forum Member

Honestly In SD county its kind of a wash. Most of the departments down there hire primarily Medics, but also require a Firefighter 1. The exception to this rule is SD City, and I believe Santee is hiring Medics right now then will put you through an academy. Now if you are planning on staying in SD I would take what ever comes first. The fire academy is a shorter process, and can be done in 3 ish months. Medic school will take closer to a year from start to actually receiving your licence from the state. If your planning on going out of State or working else where in California I would look at the basic requirements the department in the surrounding area have. Be very careful about California fire marshal FF1 as there are states that will not accept it as not all California academy's are nationally accredited.

Personally I worked as an EMT B for SDMSE for 3 years, then decided to go the Medic route as I knew I was probably going to leave the state and work else where. I was very lucky to get a job when, and where I did. And I am very happy with my decision. But it all depends on what you want to do, and where you want to work.

Forum Member

Well I definitely plan on staying in California. Although I'm thinking about moving to nor cal to take on my career as a fire medic.

@fire49: that thread helped a little. basically it just reaffirmed what I already know...that people go back and forth about which step is best to do first. Going off what the Chief in there was saying I should get my fire 1 cert before taking on medic school. I guess the ultimate deciding factor will be whether I can afford to pay for fire academy and pay the bills while I'm in the fire academy. It's hard. I dont' want to make the wrong decision. I have til January to figure it out I guess

Thanks guys.

Thread Information