Forum Member

Default DOD Certifications

Hello all, I have heard heresay from many different people that DoD certifications are only good for the DoD. Stating that I would have to go to another fire academy in order to work in the civilian sector. I have been out of the Marines since late 2008. I was an aircraft firefighter while in the service. I have DoD certifications in HazMat Awareness and Operations, Fire Fighter I and II, Airport Fire Fighter, and Public Telecommunications I/II. Now my question is this, is it possible for me to go straight back into the fire service or would I have to go back to an academy. Another question is, do I require taking any kind of continuing education since I have not done anything for it since september of 2008. I do not care about locality, since I do not wish to limit myself due to where I currently am which is in Philadelphia as an EMT.

Forum Member

you have to check with each city and or state

some states willl accept the military training

yes you still may have to go through another academy either to get state certified, because they do not accpet the military, or because the city wants you trained thier way

last question depends on the city/ state again

MembersZone Subscriber

aaron...
    for the state of Colorado.. i called and filled out a scantron sheet (application like) and sent in, paid the fees and wala! had state certs. certs must be ISSUED with in 5 years... if they exceed the five years then state (COLORADO) will only give you a letter of recognition.. i dont know how it is where you are, but contact the state and theyll help ya out.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by aaronmhughes View Post
    Hello all, I have heard heresay from many different people that DoD certifications are only good for the DoD. Absolutely, positively not true. DOD Certs are also accepted by both the IFSAC and the Pro-Board.

Now my question is this, is it possible for me to go straight back into the fire service or would I have to go back to an academy. Depends on the jurisdiction where you are applying. Being from Philadelphia, I am sure you are aware that the Philadelphia Fire Department could care less that you have every credential and college credit in the universe and have 10 years on the busiest engine company in FDNY, you are not a Philadelphia FF until you go through their Fire Academy. The same may apply elsewhere, or they may very well hire you off the street and put you in the back of a pumper.
    You are on a pretty good path to being well qualified for a Federal FF position. Work on getting your national registry EMT, Haz Mat Technician, Fire Inspector I and Fire Officer I and you could walk right into a GS6 position, just not around the Philadelphia/SE Pa/NJ/Del/Md area right now due to Ft Monmouth and WGNAS closing. Lots of guys going elsewhere on the stopper list.
    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Thread Information