Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default fire engineering handbook

who has one, what do you think of it, and how does it compare to IFSTA's essentials of firefighting 5th edition

Forum Member

unless you like sleeping you more then likely do not need one

or if you are going to be a fire protection engineer, needed

review fire protection plans, needed

or if you are going to take fire science classes, sometimes a required book

is someone telling you to get one?

are you new to the fire service or trying to get into to the fire service?????

Forum Member

no I have been in the service awhile but have always been around ifsta material, but was looking for info on the handbook being as it is so much larger in size and that the contributors are more of the FDIC line I was wondering if it was something worth looking into for our department or a waste of mouny...

Let's talk fire trucks! BoxAlarm187's Avatar

Fire49,

I believe that he's likely referring to the Fire Engineering Handbook for Firefighter I & II, and not the SFPE Fire Protection Engineering Handbook.

I've reviewed the text, and I think it's pretty good. It's perhaps written from more of a street-smarts point of view than the IFSTA, but they still meet the NFPA 1001 standard. I've taught from the IFSTA and Jones & Bartlett texts, and find that although IFSTA has improved greatly over the past few years, some of their information is still a bit generic.

One difference between the thickness of the books is whether one of them included the reference material for NFPA 472, Hazardous Materials Awareness and Operations. 472 can now be included as part of the standard FF1/2 text, so the student doesn't have to purchase a separate text.
    Last edited by BoxAlarm187; 04-20-2011 at 05:41 PM.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Forum Member

OH

Never mind

I think its absolutely wonderful, agreeing with boxalarm187, the level of street knowledge is tenfold over ifsta's book.

The sections are written by some pretty good guys, traditions and history by lasky, ladders by ciampo, hazmat by delisi, survival training has a few with ricci included, knapp did a hell of a job on basic fire attack (which i felt was sparse in ifsta's book, more science than you needed and not enough of the actual act).

I recommend it for a department to order a few and keep them around the stations for young rookies to supplement what they just learned at the academy, it actually pairs really well with ifsta.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Also, glenn corbett did a ton of interviews dissecting many sections of the book if you want to get more of a feel for it, obviously they are on FE.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

MembersZone Subscriber CKirk922's Avatar

I bought the textbook and skills book at FDIC and I've been plowing through it ever since.

I thought the section on FD history had tons of info, but seemed a bit choppy in reading. After that, well it is chocked full of street smarts FFing and seems spot on with updated approaches to teaching.

I likes it whole bunches!!!
    A coward stands by and watches wrongs committed without saying a word...Any opinions expressed are purely my own and not necessarily reflective of the views of my former departments

Forum Member

[QUOTE=BoxAlarm187;1266209]Fire49,

I believe that he's likely referring to the Fire Engineering Handbook for Firefighter I & II, and not the SFPE Fire Protection Engineering Handbook.

you got it, thats the one!!! We have used ifsta for a long time and to me it just seems to be a blah book that is not a "easy read" full of good info but it dont make for a book that you can sit down and read on shift and still know what I read from the last 40 pages or what I would like the chapters previously read.. Ifsta has the "text book feel" I have been looking for a book that is more of the Firefighter orientated book..

thanks for the replys and keep them coming

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Easily the Best Option Available

Our FD just purchased the full FE FF 1&2 program, soup to nuts. By far better than most others offered. Having used the IFSTA and Bartles and James, as noted the street sense and relevance is refreshing.

Thread Information