makes good girls go bad

Default New Firefighter 2 test

Anyone know anything about the new hands on portion of the test?
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Forum Member

Default testing

when you go and test it always depends on the place putting on the skills your gunna do some do one thing and others do another, but be prepared for anything they throw at you... reports, preincident, ICS and graphs, maybe some gear if you did high angle rescue and the names of them, putting together foam system, and how to use it, rememeber ALWAYS talk your way thru it also while doing it with your hands cause if you miss something you might remember it if your talking out loud.. Practice your skills at your fire dept if possible

TyD
    Forum Member

I am not quite sure about what exactly it entails.. But i do know its all the evolutions right in a row..

you start in full gear and in one of the old engines. you have to come out of the engine grab a pre connect and pull it out.. radio to chief you are entering the fire and go on air.. advanced the charged line and spray cones..

then right to ladder evolution with your mask still on.. you can then choose to keep on air or not.. but you have to keep your mask on. a few guys had issues with their mask fogging.

you then have to raise the ladder and climb it, I believe you then have to make entry to a window and do a search a pull a dummy out of the building..

I had a buddy that did the retention exam and refresher in feb. it was the first refresher and class to go through the test in ocala.. he said it was really tough because the instructors were unsure on the exact test.. he ended up passing but said it was pretty tough and the instructors were pretty confused.

I am going to the refresher and test in May so i hope they had some more work with it..

makes good girls go bad

Keep us updated bro. You are telling me things that I have yet to be told/are different from what I am being instructed.
    AJ, MICP, FireMedic
    Member, IACOJ.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
    This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

TyD
    Forum Member

i will let you know.. i may try and call the local academy and see if they have a list of the evolutions...

Forum Member

I'm currently in the academy and we just did our first "practice" run of the Super 2. It's a pretty tough exam. We're still learning about it as we go, and i'm sure there will be some tweaks made by the state. We should learn more in the next few weeks as someone from the state is coming to talk to our instructors about it to clarify a few things.

This is how we practiced it. Granted, it will probably be changed as things get clarified for us. Each part is a timed event. It basically consists of putting on full SCBA inside the engine, pulling a length of hose, going on air, having the hose charged and knocking three cones down. Then coming off air and presenting your mask to the instructor. From there you head to the rope tie. You have to tie a tool of the instructors chosing with the correct knot, safety knot, and tag line.

Then you go to the first ladder. You take the extension ladder off the engine, correctly raise it and put it into the correct climbing position. Then you go to the second ladder that is already attached to the building. You go back on air and with the tool chosen by the instructor, you climb the ladder and enter the building. Once you enter the building, you perform a left hand or right hand search. Once you locate the dummy, you remove the dummy from the building. Then the evolution is complete and you come back off air.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post
    I'm currently in the academy and we just did our first "practice" run of the Super 2. It's a pretty tough exam. We're still learning about it as we go, and i'm sure there will be some tweaks made by the state. We should learn more in the next few weeks as someone from the state is coming to talk to our instructors about it to clarify a few things.

This is how we practiced it. Granted, it will probably be changed as things get clarified for us. Each part is a timed event. It basically consists of putting on full SCBA inside the engine, pulling a length of hose, going on air, having the hose charged and knocking three cones down. Then coming off air and presenting your mask to the instructor. From there you head to the rope tie. You have to tie a tool of the instructors chosing with the correct knot, safety knot, and tag line.

Then you go to the first ladder. You take the extension ladder off the engine, correctly raise it and put it into the correct climbing position. Then you go to the second ladder that is already attached to the building. You go back on air and with the tool chosen by the instructor, you climb the ladder and enter the building. Once you enter the building, you perform a left hand or right hand search. Once you locate the dummy, you remove the dummy from the building. Then the evolution is complete and you come back off air.

WOW, now that sounds like FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Firefighter/Paramedic

Forum Member

What state is this 4?

MembersZone Subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by TL678 View Post
    What state is this 4?
    You're reading the state of Florida forum..

Florida.

Forum Member

wrong forum post

TyD
    Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Longshot View Post

This is correct. I just did the refresher and the retention test. After the ladder/search evolution you have 2 fireground skils to complete. which entails anything out of IFSTA 5thed book. i got searching for fire in attic with pike pole and advancing uncharged hoseline up a stairwell and hooking to standpipe.

we were told that you could leave your mask on after the hose pull. and your mask could stay on throught the rest of the evolutions. the examiner i had forced me to take my mask off.. they also said that the test changed 3 times in the week leading up to the refresher and test week.. so it could change again.. but what is listed above is how i was tested just last weekend..

Thread Information